Do I need HPT?? 3400 swap almost done - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do I need HPT?? 3400 swap almost done
Thursday, October 08, 2009 2:21 PM
So i have my 97 cav almost complete.The engine and wiring harness is in and mostly hooked up, my 5 speed is in and hooked up .I just a few more things to do like fab up the lower mount, wire the ignition, install the exhaust and paint the car. then other thing after i get it running such as the cluster and what not. Anyway, i was wondering about HP tuners, since im running the 5 speed which was originally in the car , i didnt know if anyone here on jbody knew if there was a way i could get the car moving after i fire itt up without using hpt to delete the a/t codes. ive done some research and so far i didn't come up with anything. i dont even know if it can be done. lol. any help would be greatly appreciated. i live in newfoundland,Canada and if i have to get HPT i'll have to order it from the U.S and it will cost me $750 CAD for shipping and the pro version. i do intend on getting HPT but if there was a way i could just get it moving this weekend that would be awesome. once again any help would be great.

[IMG]http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2977/3861/32441930001_medium.jpg[IMG}

Re: Do I need HPT?? 3400 swap almost done
Friday, October 09, 2009 2:45 AM
Depending on the year of the pcm you are using, you will need it. Reason being you have to disable Vats on I BELIEVE post 98 PCM's. So the year of the pcm will determine if you need it or not to get it started.

Friday, October 09, 2009 8:06 AM
everything is out of a 2000 grand am se

[IMG]http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2977/3861/32441930001_medium.jpg[IMG}
Friday, October 09, 2009 9:01 AM
I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. To answer your question no u don't need it u just have to trick the pcm into thing its in drive all the time. O and a 00 grand am docent use vats pass lock maybe. But not vats

Friday, October 09, 2009 1:20 PM
so when i get everything hooked up how do i do that any tips? lol..

Friday, October 09, 2009 5:51 PM
wow 750 for hp tuners? Have you weighed other options? You can run the stock ecu for the gauges and get a megasquirt.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, October 09, 2009 6:01 PM
yea but im still gonna have to pay for shipping and its all in canadian dollars too. and the 750 is for shipping and everything for the pro version that is. i figure that if im gonna have it i might as well have the pro..lol..but as for mega squirt i havent really thought about it that way. i was mind set on hpt. haha..how much would that run me i wonder. i'll have to look into it. and also if anyone knows any tricks for the vats if there are any. maybe i should read up on the vats

Friday, October 09, 2009 8:19 PM
2000 grand am you wont get it started get a 98 Van pcm you can get it movin wiht that but HPT is still needed if you get it started theres other things that have to get changed

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, October 10, 2009 2:35 AM
FlatBlakCav wrote:yea but im still gonna have to pay for shipping and its all in canadian dollars too. and the 750 is for shipping and everything for the pro version that is. i figure that if im gonna have it i might as well have the pro..lol..but as for mega squirt i havent really thought about it that way. i was mind set on hpt. haha..how much would that run me i wonder. i'll have to look into it. and also if anyone knows any tricks for the vats if there are any. maybe i should read up on the vats

An assembled MS-II with wiring harness cost me 470 bucks. If you go that route and need a tune to get ya started, let me know.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, October 10, 2009 4:27 AM
You will need HPT or the car wont even start.

Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:54 AM
so can i use Hpt standard to do this and maybe upgrade to professional later?

Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:10 AM
what i wanna know is , can i use hpt standard to get rid of the a/t codes?

Saturday, October 10, 2009 8:03 AM
if money is that tight you shouldn't have done the swap

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:20 PM
i have the money to do it..im trying to save a little as well. ive got over 3 grand spent in this swap so far. almost everything is new..all after market gauges, all new engine accessories, full engine gasket and seal rebuild, interior, paint, tires and rims, sandbalsting of the underside and under hood of the car because of the salt/gravel mixture they use here in newfoundland during the winter..causes a lot of rust.. new exhaust,rad, and a 2000 bumper and headlight conversion, all bought new. im sure there is more that i cannot think about right now.plus i had to purchase the donor car which was running excellent before i scrapped it..so yea..750 bucks is a bit hard to come by in a day or 2 so i can get it shipped and be using my car again next weekend..i am very interested in finishing this project asap as i plan to drive it for a bit and then park it before the snow comes to do more work.i asked a question hoping that somebody who might know something about it might be nice enough to give me a few tips..not everyone has tons of money to throw into something like this all at once.. "IF" i have to i will pay the 750 im just researching another possibilty.ive been spending money on this project every since i toasted my 2.2 a little over 2 months ago . i'd just like to know if i can use standard rather than pro right away to do it. and by the way thanks for all the help so far from those of you who dont mind a tip here and there. its greatly appreciated

Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:16 PM
Try this...

Check out link, theres a bunch of links to canadian car clubs, a few in newfoundland, and a few others in other maritime provinces. I would try posting on those sites so you could find someone within a reasonable rive from where you live who could do this for you. Buying hptuners yourself is definitely a good idea so you'll have it for future projects and what not, but if you want to save money I would go try to find someone who can do it for you. Have you tried finding a shop that could do this nearby? I was in newbrunswick a while ago and I saw a bunch of done up cars, so maybe you could find a shop that does what you need in that area..

Ps: I'm also trying to locate someone to do the same thing for me, if you happen to find someone, but they say they are in ontario.... send them over to me!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search