passlock issues on v6 swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
passlock issues on v6 swap
Wednesday, October 07, 2009 6:02 AM
hey guys im having issues firin up my v6 swap. its a 3500 from a 04 malibu but its wired the same a 3400 swap. the problem im having is with the injectors not firing. i had a guy delete auto codes, #s 02 sensor, egr and passlock. but he figures there not firing because of something he may have missed? heres a thread with a lil more detail. thanx alot guys any help appeicaiated.

Re: passlock issues on v6 swap
Wednesday, October 07, 2009 6:02 AM
Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:15 AM
Without knowing what the issues are you're having, I will first suggest that your hot wires may not be matched to the appropriate power sources. Although all pink wires coming from the C-100 connector are hot, they are not all hot under the same conditions. Some are hot with the key on accessory, and hot. Some are on in start and run, some are only hot in run, etc....If you have the injectors on one that doesn't get power during start, then you'll never get the engine going, because the injectors are off whenever your starter is turning. Make sense?

The first thing I would do is to test the hot wires going to your injectors when the key is in run position. If not, trace back to where you spliced it into the C-100 harness and make sure they are in one marked "start/run". Also, not to state the obvious, but it never hurts: check your fuses. IIRC, the injectors go through a separate fuse.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 12:23 PM
i have its a strong twelve volts wen the key is on.
Wednesday, October 07, 2009 12:51 PM
After I posted that, I read the whole thread you linked on 60DegreeV6.com, and I see that you said you are only getting 2V when it's cranking. Is that right?

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 4:12 PM
im gettin 12 volt at the injector feed wen "on" and like 9 wen cranking. and wen i put the meter on a specific injector im gettin like 2 volts. if that makes sense. i have 60ish psi to the rail and the ground is good. im stumped . i am sure they arnt firing.
Thursday, October 08, 2009 5:28 AM
Do you have the BCM from the Grand Am as well? If not, it's not going to run.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, October 08, 2009 6:03 AM
na i dont. i didnt see any thing about needing it anywere thought it could be bypassed. i guess that could be a serous problem lol. but i do need it. ok have to get one this weekend and see about wiring it in
Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:09 PM
what pcm are you using?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:26 PM
99 grand am 3400 ecu
Thursday, October 08, 2009 2:00 PM
yep grand am one is a pain

Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:16 PM
is there a beter option? and do i need the bcm wat am i doin wrong! everything seems like it should be working. should the injector inputs be gettin twelve volts? HELP! lol
Friday, October 09, 2009 2:56 AM
Kardain had the same problem. He didn't have a BCM in and it wouldn't start, even though he had the passlock taken out of the PCM. GM's modules like to be bitchy I suppose.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, October 09, 2009 3:59 AM
so looks like im wiring in a bcm this weekend
Friday, October 09, 2009 11:32 AM
does any one or could check on there car wat voltage they get at the number one (or any for thet matter) injector. like at the c130 plug at the uim what volts r wen cranking. pins a-c are injectors 1-3 so if someone could check.
Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:18 AM
got ground?

Monday, October 12, 2009 4:00 AM
grounds r good pcm ground, injector ground all good. ive gottin a couple e-mails from guys that dont have bcms. soooo im guess its a tuning thing and im sending my my ecm back to get it fixed. i know ima get this thing goin just in time for snow lol
Friday, October 16, 2009 6:14 AM
any one have in notes or anythin the pin there using off the c-100 to feed the injectors? im gettin 12volts but want to re check everthing again while the computers out be adjusted. again.
Friday, October 16, 2009 7:40 AM
I had the same problem with mine no fuel injector toggle, sent the pcm in and had the pass lock turned off and starts and runs fine now, never moved any wires or grounds, it was the difference between the impala and cavy, one had pass lock the other had pass key, cost 60 bucks and made my car run! yay
Friday, October 16, 2009 9:57 AM
ray gardner wrote:any one have in notes or anythin the pin there using off the c-100 to feed the injectors? im gettin 12volts but want to re check everthing again while the computers out be adjusted. again.
I don't remember which pin it was, but it was a "run/crank" pink, not an "acc/run" one.

You mentioned that you're getting 9v while cranking. That may just be due to the draw of the starter, and shouldn't really be a big issue.
In the thread you posted on 60DegreeV6.com, you said you were only getting 2v, which would be a big problem.

Friday, October 16, 2009 7:33 PM
Depends if the 2v is legitimate or not. I'm doubting that it is. During crank your PCM will start to short the injectors to ground. But it only does so for how many miliseconds on each cycle. I'm thinking that a DMM might not be able to show you the actual voltage hitting the inectors.

Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:52 PM
i was getting the nine to the feed. and the two to the outputs. the ecms out now i going to have passlock turned back on and see if i can get it to do the start then die thing passlock does then either try a bam or have the kid come to my house and tune from there. but no one knows the exact pin they used i know how to read the diagram to dee if the one im using is run crank but it would be super reasuring.
Friday, October 23, 2009 7:45 PM
the injector feed, pink wire should be fed by a (Hot in run or start) which is the fuel pump feed on the grand am and cav. that is how most Gm are wired for some reason. Some are just slightly different, cav has a bulb test and grand am doesnt.. if your using the underhood fuse box from the cav attach your pink injector wire to your 20a F/P.INJ fuse . The cav wire on that fuse is also pink. Ill look around and see if it says what exactly your running. be sure that all of your grounds are attached and working especially if your still running the ground splice packs. If you are do yourself a favor and cut them off before you have problems with them. Im showing 4 grounds in my diagrams at pins 16,56,57,60. the diagrams im lookin at are all 01 stuff. if there is anything that looks totally wrong I can look up your specific year to double check. But I have found that not much changes from year to year on the 3400's.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Friday, October 23, 2009 8:19 PM
what is the ecm out of?
I was reading on your other forum, and yes the ecm turns the injectors on and off by switching the grounds of each injectors. If your ecm doesnt have all the grounds , you may not be getting the ground for that circuit.

Also to check your pulsing , a noid light is required . they come in a set or you can buy them seperately. this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR4OA is what you need. they are all the same light , just different plugs for different injectors. If you know some one that is a mechanic they may let you borrow theirs. Your local parts store may stock them also but you might have to buy a set of 5 or so.

If you go the BCM route there are pin outs that I posted a while back for one of the other guys. I think its in the progress of v6 swap thread. there is a link to that thread in the sticky.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Monday, October 26, 2009 6:25 AM
the ecm, injectors, fpr, is out of a 99 grand am. im hopin to get the ecm back today to check it again. i have passlock turned back on to see if i can get it to run then shut off. then ill know it runs and can try to bypass passlock with a resistor or tune it more carfully. i checked all the pins marked ecm ground and they had good grounds. but if the ecu ajustments dont do it ima have to dig deeper.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search