Reguaging valves on 2.2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Reguaging valves on 2.2
Monday, June 18, 2007 2:33 PM
Hey guys, running a 95 2.2 and the valves are starting to get pretty loud.
How hard is it to reset these beasts? Is it work taking the time?
Any tricks? Iv heard some ppl switching to 10w30. Also anyone here ever tried using seafoam on their engine?
Thanx in advance

Re: Reguaging valves on 2.2
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:46 PM
I have never heard of any one adjusting them.
Are you sure thats the noise? Im not sure on that one but gm was good for making them non adjustable. the popular v6's arent.
Its been a while since I was into a 2.2 cause they dont break internals often, and if they do they are scrap. Cheaper to get a used one instead of tearing into it.
I know the 2nd gen 2.2's were adjustable, just not sure since its a 95.
Pull the valve cover and see if there is a nut in the middle of the rocker arm or a bolt. if its a nut screwed on a stud then they are adjustable. To do it the correct way gets pretty technical, instead of getting into it you could probably just tighten them 1/8 turn and have no problems. thats 45 degrees, and you have to do all of them the same amount.
Just be sure that this is your noise before you do anything.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:37 PM
You sure it's the valves, and not the timing chain tensioner that's gone bad causing the timing chain to slap around and be loud as hell, making the engine sound like it's a diesel?

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:41 PM
I'm pretty sure its not the timing chain. I checked all that less than two months ago when I dropped the engine in. Plus the chatter gets quieter as the engine warms up. I just heard these things where notorious for valve chatter.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 9:00 AM
Do an oil change, and get a Purolator or Wix oil filter, not a Fram or a Fram copy. They are known to drain past the anti-drainback valve letting all the dirty oil back into the pan. As for adjustment, If its a bolt just loosen them all up, then torque them all down to exactly 22 ft/lbs. If its a nut on a stud, you'll have to adjust the lash out of them similarly to adjusting valves on a small-block chevy with hydraulic lifters. The 2.2/2200 is pretty much just that, a SMB cut lengthwise and laid vertically with a few minor differences that don't pertain to this situation.

Friday, July 06, 2007 7:02 AM
Ive got a 2200 engine, theyre not adjustable at all, just a bolt into the head. You can try loosening them and re-torquing them. Id strobgly suggest getting a set of roller rockers from crane (or a different reputable manufacturer)

My rockers used to chatter a little, but when I put the 1.6:1 roller rockers on it, theyre as quiet as anything, with stock exhaust i didnt know the car was running sometimes. And you get a bit of performance too The 1.6's are also adjustable, so you have an easy fix if they start to chatter again.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search