Any tips on gettin the fuel filter off? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any tips on gettin the fuel filter off?
Saturday, June 23, 2007 2:50 AM
The white plastic tabs on the quick release or broken off (you cant see them at all) and I cant get the line off of the filter. I'm thinking about trying to get in there with one of those removel tools (for the other kind of fitting) or some tweezers, anyone have this happen before (first time Im changing it, someone else messed it up). None of the shops around here will listen to me so I'm gunna have to do it myself. They all keep telling me it's the kind of fitting where you have to push in a filter line removal tool then pull it off (connector in the line, not on the filter) there idiots.

Re: Any tips on gettin the fuel filter off?
Saturday, June 23, 2007 4:07 AM
I just cut the line alot less hassle

FOR SALE!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:42 AM
I was gunna go that route, but the aftermarket connectors cant bend at the angle I need them to without colapsing. I'll either have to find a way to get the connector off, or replace my fuel pump. (the line going to the pump is permanantly attached to the pump, I hate GM sometimes). Even If I could get it off, theres no way to put another one on and you can't order just the line.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 12:42 PM
All you do is use a 21mm back-up wrench and a 16mm wrench on the line,loosen the feed line from the filter.On the quick connect side you push inward toward the filter,grasp the the plastic tab around the connector and pull apart.So seeing that those tabs are broken,which also happened to me,you can get some small picks and try that or the tool number you can use is J38778.That tool is placed between the filter and the fitting release mechanism to carefully force the two apart.All this taken from my Chilton's manual.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Saturday, June 23, 2007 5:24 PM
A fuel line tool might work on the quick connector. Otherwise, go the route I did, and bust that bitch off with a flat head screwdriver.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 5:38 PM
Hoseclamps FTW! haha -- thats what we did on my friends cav. ... I have yet to change mine.
Saturday, June 23, 2007 7:39 PM
I bought one of those goofy looking removal tool things, in hopes that I can get in there and squeeze whats left of the tabs together. I wonder if I brace everything (including myself), if I can just force the thing apart by yanking or prying without breaking anything since there apparently isn't much left of the clips anyway. What happens if I accidently break off the black platic part of the line at the filter? is it really needed, or does the filter clip into the metal part underneath?

This is really ticking me off, I just about went off on the guy at autozone (where I bought the filter and removal tool) when he told me the car had a different type of connector than it does. (He said it has the type of connector that your suppose to use the removal tool on, instead of the squeez and pull connecter that it actually has, after I already told him what was on the car), I really dislike that guy, He thinks he knows more about my car than I do, and is always saying I'm wrong.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 7:29 AM
if i was in your place..i would use a "pick set" to just get ahold of that plastic tab and rip it apart...the new filter should come with a new one anyway so no worries..just break it apart and pull it out..it sounds like its to corroded to reuse anyway..but that plastic is all that holds that line on so if you can pull enough of it out thru the sides you should be able to get the filter off...hope i helped

Friday, June 29, 2007 11:45 AM
take some bolt cutters and cut right above the filter below the quick disconnet, then undo the line with a 21mm back up and a 16mm wrench. Make sure you use line wrenches because it will make your life easier, then once the filter is off the quick discnnect is a sinch to take off and put back on.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:07 AM
take a small piece of sheetmetal.. make it round and put it on and slide it into the plastic clamp use some channel locks to wedge in.. and twist

"Z24 Dustbunny"
Friday, July 13, 2007 7:00 PM
Thanx guys I finnaly got it changed. I cut the filter on the inlet side, tore out all the plastic and used a removal tool. It was like it was desinged so it couldn't be replaced from the factory...weird. I can't see any way of removing it other than the way I did it. At least it will be easy now if I have to ever replace it again. There wheren't any plastic tabs. it was the kind you need the removal tool for, but there was no way to get one in there without completely tearing the black plasic peice out.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:24 PM
i mangled mine and finally it came off, still seals tightly tho, hopfully dont have to replace it again for a while

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search