95 Sunfire Dash light - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95 Sunfire Dash light
Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:47 AM
I am totally at a loss on this one, I have a 95 Sunfire SE and in the top left corner of the instrument cluster there is a green blinking light that looks a little like the brights indicator except it is green and a little bigger. The factory manual has a picture of this light in the main instrument cluster illustration but does not mention it or what it could mean. the haynes manual doesnt even mention the light (not that i expected it to) the car appears to be running great, it has roughly 120,XXX miles on it. Like i said the indicator looks like a lamp and is in the top left had side of the instrument panel, any expierince with this damn light would be appreciated.

Re: 95 Sunfire Dash light
Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:50 AM
does your car have day time running lamps?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:52 AM
nope
Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:59 AM

sorry i had to use myspace to host the pic but it is quicker that way, that is a pic i found on ebay and put a redish box around the area that the light is in, my dad takes the digi cam to work with him so if this isnt resolved by then i will take a pic of the light.
Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:18 AM
Check to see if you have a headlight out. The headlight out light flashes, it's annoying.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:43 AM
i checked every light in the car because thats what i figured it was, it is an odd light because its blinking isnt steady but it also isnt pumping out codes
Friday, June 15, 2007 5:22 AM
have you checked the owners manual for your car yet? every dash light should be in there

Friday, June 15, 2007 9:07 AM
it is illustrated in the picture of the dash but it gives no explination of what it is, it only explains about 5 or 6 of all of the lights, damn thing isnt numbered but if sombody tore a page out they did it clean
Friday, June 15, 2007 3:59 PM
Well..... lets say you "think" you dont have daytime running lights. The DRL's are the high beam headlights, at low power. That light flashes when one of the high beam lamps is burnt out. When that happens it turns off both DRL's. Turn your headlights on, click to brights, and see which one is out.

Friday, June 15, 2007 5:39 PM
^^ very good point

Friday, June 15, 2007 9:13 PM
neither one of this is out, I already checked every single light on that car

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:09 AM
Maybe it's a sensor? It's a total guess, but what you described is exactly what happens when I have a headlight out, from the shape to color to flashing. I've had it happen 3 times.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 5:39 AM
youve obviously got something going on with your headlights..the green light is a DRL light..it could mean differnt things though but youve obviously got something wrong with them...my friend had that happen(not that year car) but the drl wouldnt come on cus they detected a short and we had to hunt it down

Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:12 AM
I've got my book here. Under the DRL info it says:
Quote:

A flashing DRL light indicates a possible burned-out headlamp, or that the vehicle may need service to repair a stuck DRL relay.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 8:49 AM
Did this just happen to you or did you do anything recently that may have caused it.

I had a 95 that I rebuilt, changed the headlight harness in the process, seems that the front clip that I used was a 96, harnesses looked to be the same, but that light came on. I ended up repairing the original one.

Do you have a relay mounted to the back side of the front bumper? If you do try changing that relay.
Check the DRL fuse also. I think its in the interior box.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:05 PM
we all agree..its the DRL's ..you may think you dont have drl because they arnt on..but they probably arnt on because something is wrong with them..HENCE the blinking drl light

Saturday, June 16, 2007 7:31 PM
It could be a bad relay. The DRL relay is right behind the front bumper on the 95-99's. At least it is on my 97.

Or, you could look in the library, and do the little bypass thing in there (where you cut a single blue wire under the dashpad) and viola! the light will be gone forever.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:31 PM
its technically my girlfriends car but it just recently started when the body ground broke which caused the abs, srs, brake, seatbelt and i guess the DRL light to come on, i regrounded it to the body and all of the others went off, so that relay i should check is the one that is right by the battery on the core support?
Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:06 AM
No that one is for the starter system recall from GM. If you follow the wires they should lead to the starter.
The one that you are looking for should be directly in front of the hood latch , mounted to the back of the front bumper.

This ground that you are talking about, Is it the one under the battery. If so make sure that if its a junction block with many grounds in it , that there arent any broken grounds coming out of it. I have seen the battery acid go down the inside of the wire from the end, corrode the inside and cause a break inside the wire. But the outside of the wire looks perfect till you pull on it a little, and stretches out. I dont think that a 95 had a junction block ground there, just 2 or 3 singles but the same thing applies to them.

Depending on the production date, early 95's arent supposed to have DRL's. I had a 95 cav with a March prod date, didnt have DRL's. Now if you have an August on prod date there is a good chance you have DRL's. Just look for the relay up front then see if you have a DRL fuse. I believe the reason that the newer j's didnt have the relay up front is that they moved it to the fuse box after DRL's were a committed addition to safety standards by gm.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Monday, July 09, 2007 12:25 AM
ok its an early production date and doesnt have drls but it has the light, i am having trouble finding the drl relay that joe was talking about so am assuming its not there, if someone could provide a pic it would help me be sure though other wise im just going to pull the dash apart and take that stupid bulb out but knowing my luck it will be an led and i wont be able to simply remove it and then i will just be furious

so i just want to make the light go away,,,,,,,, any suggestions? btw the almighty electrical tape is out the question lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search