tie-rod end boot - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tie-rod end boot
Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:15 AM
Anyone have a clue of the dimension of the tie-rod end boot ?

I need to change 1 cuse its leaking grease it has a hole in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Car Specs

Re: tie-rod end boot
Friday, May 19, 2006 6:57 PM
no 1 knows ?

My Car Specs
Friday, May 19, 2006 7:21 PM
Are you talking about an outer tie rod?
If so, I think the only way that you can buy one is with the outer tie rod end. I have never tried to replace just the boot. I think you can buy the whole end for around 25 bucks.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Friday, May 19, 2006 9:10 PM
Im pretty sure prothane makes one. out of poly urathane of course. dont remember where i saw them. but theyre nice. look in to those

Saturday, May 20, 2006 9:25 AM
I know where to get them but anyone know the size of the boot ?

and the image was taken from another post here : http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=79248&t=79245#79248

My Car Specs
Saturday, May 20, 2006 10:33 AM
Unless it is an aftermarket tie rod end, you cannot re-grease it. Most stock tie rod ends do not have a grease fitting to grease them. Which is really dumb/smart, because they will fail without adding grease over the life of the tie rod. If you don't have the grease fitting, I'd buy a new tie rod end and then if you still want a new boot you will have the one from the new or old one to use as a comparison to buy new boot.
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:20 PM
if you go to a carquest or napa store the sell outer tierod boot repair kits in their HELP! section

Friday, June 02, 2006 9:15 PM
You do realize this is a $1.50 part, if that right? Is it really worth it to you to , Jack up the car, take off the wheel, remove the tie rod nut, beat the hell out of the steering knuckle till the joint pops, hoping that you didnt hit the threads with the hammer in the process. Smash your finger, maybe. Call it every name in the book. To change a $1.50 boot that you cant grease. And just one more turn of the wrench you can have a brand new joint on there that you can grease.
Thats all I have to say.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Saturday, June 03, 2006 2:42 PM
Yeah, while your there doing it, just replace the damn tie rod ends, couldn't hurt to do the inners either, although those are a little more complicated. Don't be cheap when it comes to stuff like that.

1983 Camaro Z28
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search