Replacing Head gasket - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replacing Head gasket
Friday, January 20, 2006 4:59 PM
Just boght a 1995 cavalier with 140.000 mi. on it from a friend and it needs the head gasket replaced is there anything else that should be done while I have the head off?? also need to find a bumper,fender and hood for it prefferably stock or would a z-24 stock bumper fit:? Thanks Tim

Re: Replacing Head gasket
Friday, January 20, 2006 5:09 PM
some more info like what engine it has would help allot.

Friday, January 20, 2006 5:25 PM
It's a 2.2
Friday, January 20, 2006 9:29 PM
check to see if the head is cracked or warped....

Saturday, January 21, 2006 3:36 AM
JCBLL95 wrote:check to see if the head is cracked or warped....

Your going to need to do that (get the head checked) and you will need a new headgasket (obviously) and new head bolts. they are one time use bolts so you must get them. other than those you dont have much to worry about. i would just clean the hell out of everything before you put it back together. clean the carbon from the pistons and combustion chamber and clean the outside of the engine off to get any dirt and grime that could make it hard to find leaks and get you dirtyer as you work on the car.

Good luck with everything

Saturday, January 21, 2006 3:51 AM
^^ You don't necesarilly need to get new head bolts. I didn't in '04 and my 2.2 is still going strong. I did over-torque them though. I think the Haynes Manual called for 48 ft/lbs on 4 of them, and another amount on the other 4. I just tightened them all about 6 ft/lbs over what the manual called for.

Clean everything up really nice, get the head checked for warpage/cracks, and if all is good, port and polish it .

Good luck, and if you need any help, just PM me.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 3:52 AM
Oh, and you will need a gasket kit, not just the head gasket. I think it cost me ~$60 at Autozone. Again, good luck with it.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 4:00 AM
ScreamSayonara wrote:^^ You don't necesarilly need to get new head bolts. I didn't in '04 and my 2.2 is still going strong. I did over-torque them though. I think the Haynes Manual called for 48 ft/lbs on 4 of them, and another amount on the other 4. I just tightened them all about 6 ft/lbs over what the manual called for.

Clean everything up really nice, get the head checked for warpage/cracks, and if all is good, port and polish it .

Good luck, and if you need any help, just PM me.

in the old model 2.2 the head bolts are torque to yield and are one time use. they probably changed it for the newer model 2.2

Saturday, January 21, 2006 4:01 AM
^^ I have a 97 if that matters. It's not the 2200.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:18 AM
i would go with the head bolts aswell, it is worth it to do it now while you have the chance, head gasket kit is a good idea, sine you hace the head off you might want to look at the water pump and timing chain, aswell, while yo uhace it of see if you can a pnp (i would , i did ! )

Saturday, January 21, 2006 7:42 PM
ScreamSayonara wrote:^^ I have a 97 if that matters. It's not the 2200.

Ah i see. i cant find the info in the books right now but i do know its only 15 bucks for new bolts and that its still generally a good idea. Im going to send an e-mail to lenko and see if he can find some more info on it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search