Wilwood brake kit surprise -- just venting... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wilwood brake kit surprise -- just venting...
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:03 PM
Dear Jbody enthusiasts,

I ordered the Wilwood front brake kit, and have been in the process of installing it for almost two weeks -- my kit was missing parts such as the anti-squeal shims for the brake pads. In addition, it had too few washer/shims that allow one to properly space the caliper bracket in relation to the rotor.

In the meantime, I had the passenger side assembled, and this evening I decided to install one of the stainless steel flexlines on that side. Unfortunately, the SS flexlines that come in the kit for the cavalier/sunfire are too long. Allow me to explain...

Take a look at this pic from the Wilwood pictorial install guide on Jbody.org:

Notice how the line runs underneath the edge of the plastic fenderliner - when one rotates the steering wheel to full right lock, the brake line will catch on the edge of the fenderliner. This can be remedied by trimming the fenderliner. However, at full left lock, the line will just about rub against the lower control arm.. To prevent this from happening, the line would need to be shortened by approximately 4". I've reached the point of frustration where I'd love to beat the gentleman who assembled this kit, and in turn, I'd like to drop one of my rotors on the head of the Wilwood engineer that designed this kit.

Aside from venting, I was wondering if anyone else on this board has had the same problems? Considering the quality of the individual Wilwood components, I simply cannot fathom how such small oversights could have been made in the assembly/design of this brake kit.

Sincerely,
illtmprdman

Re: Wilwood brake kit surprise -- just venting...
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:13 PM
Thats probably because the line should be run through a cable clamp (I hope you know what I'm talking about, I can't think of the exact name right now....) attached to the strut, similar to the factory line. Or at least every kit I've seen has one. The picture you have is the lazy way out.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:22 PM
With respect to a cable clamp, I do know what you are talking about. However, the stock brake line on an 04 cavalier goes directly from the hardline to the caliper itself. There is no clamp in-between.

In any case, if a clamp was indeed necessary to properly secure the line, Wilwood should have thought of that. Call me crazy, but I don't think that I'm asking too much.

In any case, I probably bring my line to a hydraulic shop to have them shortened by 3.5". This whole project has me hella pissed-off...

Arrgh...
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:30 PM
i have yet to have any problems with my brakes , wilwoods

and my friends 03 , no line problems , and same with my other friends 97

we al have them and not 1 problem , with the lines ever , and no signs of any wear through

my kit and my friends 97 both seamed short on washers , but neither of needed all of them to set the calipers up right

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:34 PM
I had the same problem, caught it only a few hours after install another few miles and i would have had a real problem.

ever hear of zip ties?

Fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:05 AM
Your supposed to make a loop in the brake line so you have free travel in the suspension without pinching the brake lines.

Like this...

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:33 AM
My Baer setup has the lines rubbing against the control arm as well. I just added some loom to them to prevent them from wearing through.

Maybe I'll look into fastening them somehow... never put much more thought into it once I had the issue taken care of.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:03 PM
john317 wrote:Your supposed to make a loop in the brake line so you have free travel in the suspension without pinching the brake lines.

Like this...

I have no idea how you got that to work, but at full left lock, the loop in the top of the line will rub against the fenderliner and the inside edge of the tire.

No dice...
Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:32 PM
Update:

I called Wilwood and mentioned the problems I am having (clearance issues, etc). The SS flexlines in the Cavalier/Sunfire kit are approximately 19" long. When I spoke to a technical sales representative, he asked me to measure the length of the original rubber brake line -- it is approximately 11" long. When I mentioned this, he said, "You've got too much line down there (refering to the lines in the Wilwood kit). Then he said, "I'm going to send you a set of 14" lines." In short, he is sending me a set of 14" lines with all of the necessary adapters. Thanks Wilwood...

The 14" SS flexlines should work much better -- once I install them, I'll post the results.

~illtmprdman
Thursday, October 27, 2005 7:59 PM
john317 wrote:Your supposed to make a loop in the brake line so you have free travel in the suspension without pinching the brake lines.

Like this...

if that is the pic from karo's cav , i can show you the brake lines , and the damage to them

the line rubbed the tire , and wore through outer cover , and 1 line was almost pinched

in the directions i got from wilwood the lines ran just like the pic with them looped down

ill double check mine this weekend , but last time i looked everything looked good

Friday, October 28, 2005 4:54 AM
Really... Karo has never said anything about it to me.

I've been running mine like that for about 18,000 mi. but the loop is a little lower AND it's not a Wilwood kit. Just a Wilwood caliper.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"

Friday, October 28, 2005 1:55 PM
john317 wrote:Really... Karo has never said anything about it to me.

I've been running mine like that for about 18,000 mi. but the loop is a little lower AND it's not a Wilwood kit. Just a Wilwood caliper.

It was only one side... only the drivers side from what I can recall... unless I am wrong all in all

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search