WEIRD SUSPENSION ISSUE, PLS READ. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WEIRD SUSPENSION ISSUE, PLS READ.
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 6:23 PM
ok guys need your help.

2002 z24 sedan, completely stock suspension setup.

i go out to my car to move it in to the garage, the back end of the car is lower. its not like dragging on the ground, it just looks like its got a drop kit on it. wtf? there is no extra weight in the car, the stereo system has been in for forever...i press down on the back end and its stiff (not bouncy at all) so i didn't blow anything. the back end is evenly lower on BOTH sides of the rearend. i looked around and nothing came unconnected, it doesn't drive funny, nothing is leaking.

i pulled out a picture of the car thats about 2 years old. the line where the bumper meets the quarter in the picture goes over the top of the tire (like if you took a ruler and drew a straight, level line through the fender, the line would go over the tire). i go over to the car with a 3 foot level and hold it up to the line where the bumper hits the quarter and it goes THROUGH the tire. what the hell is going on????

this isn't one of those stupid posts where i really got a drop and i'm screwing around...i don't get it. its got to be something that just happened, i noticed it as soon as i walked out to the car. its a LARGE difference. like i said, its even on both sides, nothing is leaking, the back end is stiff when i push on it. i'm gonna go drive it again to make sure its not driving weird...i don't get it.

it can't be possible for both rear springs to be sagging the exact same amount at the exact same time can it?

i'll go take a picture when i get a chance and then post the old picture that i'm comparing it to. help me out. it looks nice, just about the drop i'd want it to have, but i wanna know whats up.

if someone else with a stock 02 z24 wants to go measure their fender gaps just to give me a reference...i measured mine. the front gap is 3 1/8 and the rear gap is 4 1/8.

help me out guys...

brian

GO PATS!!!

Re: WEIRD SUSPENSION ISSUE, PLS READ.
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 6:29 PM
Is your car parked on a hill?

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 6:34 PM
Sounds like your typical spring sag. You've got how many miles on it? I'm guessing around 45-50k? Those springs are more than broken in, theyre totally settled. I think you just didn't realize it had settled so far and it all of a sudden hit you.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 6:37 PM
car is in the garage on a level surface.

i could understand spring saggage, i could even understand me not realizing it until right now. but i've never heard of springs sagging the same amount. and why the back and not the front too. front height looks to be the same as the pics.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 7:07 PM
It is probably due to the extra weight of your subwoofers.

At least now you have an excuse to upgrade to performance springs and shocks.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:51 PM
My Cavy with an empty trunk has about 3.25" wheel gap. My sunny with a system has a touch more than 3" gap. If you have over 4", you're way up there.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 3:02 PM
I just re-read your original post after reading CTS'. You're saying the rear is lower, but the gap is bigger? The springs will settle/sag at the same rate on the same end. J bodys typically sag in the rear long before the front.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:05 PM
The rear gap on a 3rd gen should be 0.5" more than the front. (The notorious uneven look).

You have double that. Something strange is going on.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:23 PM
^ not necessarily. my cavy stock brand new was 3.5 front and 4.5 rear.

as for the rear looking lower, u just never noticed it until now when u got the picture out. you have a heavy ass box with two subs in your trunk, and the rear springs are generally weaker than the front, so what do you expect?

its normal, and get over it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:05 PM
here's the only thing i can think of. i've had a system in my car since 3 days after i bought it. in the picture, i had a 10" dual sub system. now i have a 12" dual sub system. the difference is only about 20 lbs between the two systems. thats the only reasoning i can think of. i changed systems about 2 months ago and i guess i just hadn't noticed it...

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:34 PM
The rear springs are rated around 170 lb/in. I don't know what your system weights in total. But a 100lb system (which is not that uncommon) will easily bring your can down 1/2". I don't really notice a big differnce when simply looking at my cars. I think it's mostly your imagination.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search