Rear disc conversion - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear disc conversion
Saturday, October 22, 2005 12:29 PM
Ok, so I saw the how to about the Neon rear disc setup, and I'm wondering if anyone has made this or any other option work. I heard Mantapart has a conversion using Corvette parts, but it is apparently really expensive. I've already upgraded my front brakes but I haven't found anything for the rear drums yet. I've called some of the places that do drum upgrades for older GMs but none of them have anything that will work with ours. Some advice would be helpful. I'm not afraid of fabrication, but some advice from someone who's already done it would be great.

"Silly cluth, glazing is for donuts!"

Re: Rear disc conversion
Saturday, October 22, 2005 12:48 PM
some companies sell rear disc set ups. might wanna look into that

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, October 22, 2005 1:00 PM
I've been looking around. I've looked around on the web and some of the kits are way out of budget or just don't look all that impressive. The most respectable kit I've seen was the Mantapart kit, but for the money, I'm kinda torn. My race team doesn't have sponsorship of any kind and I've dumped so much into the drivetrain that I've overlooked the brakes. I have no doubt that for drag racing the setup I have will be fine, the car stops on a dime now , but I just like the peace of mind from having the rear upgraded too.

"Silly cluth, glazing is for donuts!"
Saturday, October 22, 2005 2:36 PM
Neon swap, N-Body IRS swap, and the Mantapart kit are all I really know of.

Be a pioneer! For the most part, all you need to do is find a rotor to work with (that fits the 5x100 patern), then the caliper, then measure up and fabricate a bracket. In fact using the front rotors off our cars and the caliper would probalby be a good place to start. Then just fab up the brack to hold it all in place.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:12 AM
If you use the front calipers, you will need some sort of spot caliper for an e brake. Do you really need discs, or would you be happy with drums? You could always swap an export drum system on (its bigger by like 1/2") with bigger wheel cylinders and its a direct fit.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:44 AM
SSBC are around like 700 or so, but also I would do the SS Cammaro brakes cause they are not a shoe and hat design like the neon. Check out the the GP forurm for stuff for them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search