'02 'fire Pull/Steering Wheel Not Centered - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'02 'fire Pull/Steering Wheel Not Centered
Friday, October 21, 2005 3:32 PM
Well, this car has a long history with not being able to keep the wheel straight. When I bought it, it took 2 weeks to pull left (wheel always right too much). Rotated tires according to manual, and fixed it. Put new wheels on it, still centered. Over the past two weeks, it has been going to opposite way a lot worse, so now the wheel looks way too left, and the car moves right when I let go of the wheel. Had an alignment done, only the left rear was out of specs and was corrected. Rotated the tires twice, and has not changed. Tire pressures are even 34.5 all the way around. What am I missing?? My theory is either a bad spring or front right strut, as if it is countermeasuring a sag to the right since when I have a passenger it is twice as worse. The car doesnt appear to have a sag, but I have noticed when you press the brakes, the wheel straightens out and all is well until you release them again. Anyone have this experience before??

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE
2.2L Auto, Bone Stock

Re: '02 'fire Pull/Steering Wheel Not Centered
Friday, October 21, 2005 4:15 PM
If you point the wheel straight ahead, which way does it go?

It sounds like a dragging caliper on the right front. But..... it may be a rear brake problem also since it gets worse with a passenger. Any decent alignment shop will give a complete 100% insepction of the suspension before they do it, or its their a$$, so I doubt its a suspension problem.

Friday, October 21, 2005 6:18 PM
lots of things coudl cause it... tire pressures being off form side to side, alignment being off, brakes hanging up, suspension problem, crappy tires, ect... lots of things could cause it, just take it to get checked out....

Friday, October 21, 2005 6:59 PM
Car veers to the right when the wheel is straight. I hadnt thought of the possible brake drag, but it makes sense as when the brakes are applied, it corrects itself. Had that problem with drums on my AMC. Just wish there was a way to tell if that is the issue. The tires and air pressure dont seem to change anything. They're newer BFGoodriches with few miles on them. I can rotate them all night, as I did, and nothing changes.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE
2.2L Auto, Bone Stock
Saturday, October 22, 2005 7:30 AM
Has it ever been in an accident?

Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:50 AM
Nope, clean history. Has high ass mileage, though, almost at 93k now. Almost as if it's time for a whole overhaul on the front end. What a nightmare of a cost there...

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE
2.2L Auto, Bone Stock
Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:10 AM
Well, I think you should look into the brake drag, as well as find out what the caster is. When you got it aligned, they should have printed something out and filed it somewhere. Its not adjustable, but it would still be nice to know what it is. Thats why I asked if it was in an accident.I was thinking maybe the right subframe was pushed back.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:09 PM
The front left caster is 4.6, front right is 4.3, both between specified range of 3.4 and 4.9, according to their sheet anyhow. The cross caster of the front is 0.3 . I've looked for damage, but it seems so clean and straight. I'm going to try dropping the air pressure on all fronts and see what happens. Maybe Discount Tire destroyed my tires when they inflated them all to 48 psi. The max is 35!!!, ... @!#$s....

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE
2.2L Auto, Bone Stock
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:49 AM
Well, I checked out some things yesterday, still no fix. Swapped 2 frt tires, lubed ball joints for the steering, checked the tension on the lower ball joints and sub frame, checked for a sticking caliper. All looks good. So for my b-day today, I get to take it in the ass from the dealer to get a quote. Too bad I owe too much on this damn thing...

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE
2.2L Auto, Bone Stock
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search