99 and below strut mount conversion - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 and below strut mount conversion
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 12:36 PM
well my 00+ strut mounts finally blew, i've got two monroe strut mounting kits and two spring seats, is this all i will need for the conversion?

Re: 99 and below strut mount conversion
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:58 PM
any help?

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:31 PM
Yep. An 800lb Gorila and 2 bunches of banannas would help too.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:48 PM
lol maybe some air tools will work....haha

Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:53 AM
yeah, that should work

get a torque wrench and a 21mm socket
Sunday, October 23, 2005 10:30 AM
if you bought them from autozone make sure you have the right ones before you get started, in the autozone computer 99 comes up as the same mounts as 00+, you have to get the 98s, at least that is the problem i ran into at 2 seperate autozones here in MI.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 11:46 AM
I bought the strut mounts for the 95-99. Are you saying I need more parts to make the conversion ???

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
RandomGuy 171 wrote:
Rule one of dating: Thy girlfriend shalt not havith a faster car than thee.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:16 PM
no, just that the part numbers listed were for the wrong mounts, had to get 98 mounts because the part # for 99s were the same part # as 2k+, that's all.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:38 PM
Napa has the same problem. 99 are listed with the 00+ part number.

You can use either one on your car. If you use the 00+ you need the nut with the washer built-in. 99- don't use the nut w/ washer built-in. They are built slightly differently, but are basically interchangable (with noted exceptions).

Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:12 PM
ah i got the right mounts they work great. got them from ADV...all i had to have is the monroe strut moutn kit and some spring seats.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:25 PM
Why are the earlier mounts better than the 00+?

Monday, October 24, 2005 1:44 AM
You will be needing 2 of the washers that go under the strut nut on the 95-99 style or you cant hold your mount together. Not sure of the part number but your local GM dealer should be able to find them for you.

Also you will need two spring seats for the front. The part number is 22130318 from

http://www.GMpartsdirect.com

||Click to visit my Cardomain page|Omaha Racing|Nebraska Region SCCA||
Monday, October 24, 2005 1:45 AM
Oh you have the spring seats.

reading > me

Monday, October 24, 2005 5:05 AM
Tommy Boy ( Brutus ) wrote:You will be needing 2 of the washers that go under the strut nut on the 95-99 style or you cant hold your mount together. Not sure of the part number but your local GM dealer should be able to find them for you.

Also you will need two spring seats for the front. The part number is 22130318 from

Micheal, I don't want to threadjack, but since you seem to have your questions answered, I might as well post in this thread instead of starting a new one.

Guys, I got the strut mounts for the 95-99 style, and will be having them installed by a shop. Do I need anything else other than the mounts themselves, got them through Napa I think.
The spring seats and monroe strut mount kits, what are they exactly and do I need to get them before having the shop install my mounts ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
RandomGuy 171 wrote:

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:08 PM
DanteMustDie wrote:
Tommy Boy ( Brutus ) wrote:You will be needing 2 of the washers that go under the strut nut on the 95-99 style or you cant hold your mount together. Not sure of the part number but your local GM dealer should be able to find them for you.

Micheal, I don't want to threadjack, but since you seem to have your questions answered, I might as well post in this thread instead of starting a new one.

Guys, I got the strut mounts for the 95-99 style, and will be having them installed by a shop. Do I need anything else other than the mounts themselves, got them through Napa I think.
The spring seats and monroe strut mount kits, what are they exactly and do I need to get them before having the shop install my mounts ?

do it yourself or get a buddy to help out and save some money brother

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:41 PM
would do but I don't have a spring compressor at home... my setup is kyb agx + eibach pro-kit. do I need a spring compressor ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
RandomGuy 171 wrote:

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 7:23 PM
Dante, I have the same setup a spring compressor is not really necessary for that because the springs are shorter therefore less tension.

What you need to get for the conversion is the Monroe sturt mount kit, and 99 and below spring seats from your local Gm dealer...thats all you need.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 4:58 AM
I'm very happy to hear that ! I'll save a bunch in labor since my mechanic friend has everything BUT the spring compressor. Thanks a lot Mike !

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
RandomGuy 171 wrote:

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:07 AM
Any idea of the price for the monroe strut mount kit ? Couldn't find a price on gmpartsdirect

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
RandomGuy 171 wrote:

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:13 AM

the part number for the washers is in my registry, you'll need two of them.

this washer is the one that goes on the top side of the mount and then the washer/nut. i'm not sure why 95-99 mounts do not come with them.... i guess they assume you just have them?

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:59 AM
ok some aren't mentioning the monroe strut mount kit now... I really don't want to buy something for nothing.

So far there are three different things people are mentioning.

1. 2 washers # 22172036
2. 2 spring seats # 22130318
3. monroe strut mount kit part number unknown price unknown

Cody I see you have done the conversion, would you be so kind as to tell us if you needed the monroe strut mount kit ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
RandomGuy 171 wrote:

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 7:07 PM
i did the conversion for coilovers..... so i completely butchered the crap out of my mounts

the only thing you need beyond the mounts (that i'm aware of!) are the spring seats and the washers

i have no idea what the strut mount kit is

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:33 PM
They call it a kit but its just the strut mount, bearings, and new nuts/bolt for the top. Of couse you need it to do the conversion.

The washers and spring seats are what you need in addition to the mount kit to make it work.

I got the MOOG version but all aftermarket are pretty much the same.

You can just walk into a local auto parts store and tell them you have a 95,96,97,98, or 99 (take your pick) Cavalier / Sunfire and you need 2 front strut mounting kits. Most places have them in stock.

Just dont try and explain what you are doing to the people at the counter their brains may get overloaded.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:58 AM
that's cool then, I got the 4 mounts already, gonna get the seats and washers and install them, these bitches are in my trunk for a month now and I can't stand the clunking noises anymore !

Thanks guys !

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
RandomGuy 171 wrote:

Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:07 AM
I bought the Monroe kits for my 2000 Cavalier. They have the upper and lower bearing halfs and bolts to mount the upper onto the boddy. You reuse the two lower bolts. The kits were $47 each from PartsAmerica.

I don't think I need any other parts.

Brad
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search