part swapping? please help fiero & cav - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
part swapping? please help fiero & cav
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 4:21 PM
hey guys i can get my hands on a 86 or 87 fiero for near free. and i have heard that the brakes on that would cross over and fit on my 04 cav is this true? there are a few parts on this car that i could use anyway but if the brakes will fit i would do it for sure. any help would be great.

thanks

Re: part swapping? please help fiero & cav
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 4:41 PM
Check out www.fiero.nl and go to the forum.

They would be able to help you out I'm sure.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:37 AM
Well even if they did why would you take some old used brakes and put them on your car?

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:57 AM
David Alameda (Zspeedcav) wrote:Well even if they did why would you take some old used brakes and put them on your car?

because my friend just put all new brakes on it. so there not old brakes they are mabye 3 months old.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:34 AM
they wouldn't be disk brakes would they?

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:24 AM
YUP hes got all cross drilled and slotted rotors. brand new everything. i know the bolt patterns are the same so im just hopeing the they will mount on my cav. and yes it came with four wheel disc brakes he just upgraded.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:38 AM
the fiero uses the same rotors all the way around, so you'd have 2 sets of front rotors.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:57 PM
The calipers are different. And IIRC, the rotors are a different thickness. I did all this research before I did the Neon disc swap.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:56 PM
well im going to try it since its pretty much free.

James Cahill- do you know if the lines on the cav will fit the fiero calipers ?

Thursday, October 20, 2005 1:23 AM
James Cahill wrote:The calipers are different. And IIRC, the rotors are a different thickness. I did all this research before I did the Neon disc swap.

hmmm..... I know my 84 was the same all the way around...... lol Citation calipers and rotors all the way around........

My pop has a '88 formula....... I could see what his looks like.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 1:48 AM
Unless he did a big brake swap on the front there would be no point anyways as stock front fiero brakes are smaller then your front brakes, If your talkin about the rear discs then nothing from them is going to do you any good without a custom caliper mounting bracket. generally theres nothing you can use from it. Whats wrong with the fiero that your going to tear it apart anyways?

and looking at an 88 wont do you much good speed racer z the 88 Fieros had totally different suspension and brakes then the 84-87 Im a bit of a fiero nut

Honestly the fiero is an all around better platform then the J's save for the stock drivetrain.

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'

Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:31 AM
Um,yeah, as far as front brakes go...Cavalier Z24 front brakes are an UPGRADE to fiero fronts...pre-88 fieros are 4 wheel disc, but they're solid rotors all around (NOT VENTED). (I think they switched to vented in 88...don't remember for certain though)

Front rotors have the wheel bearing in the rotor hat, rear rotors are more like cavalier fronts, except that the rear spindle probably won't swap (since it's got the drive axle through it).

I've got a 86 Fiero as well as my cavalier, and I would much rather have my Cavalier brake system than the Fiero system. (on the Cavalier anyway)

So, fiero parts on a cavalier are not going to be a very easy swap at all. And really not worth it in the end, dig around here, somebody's got a write-up for using neon rear discs.

And I'm with NotsoOceansideEco...I've got a nice suspension setup on the cav, and it handles really nice, but the fiero handles almost as well, and that is with really old and worn out parts. After I get done refreshing the suspension, mm..mm good!

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:32 AM
NotsoOceansideEco wrote:Unless he did a big brake swap on the front there would be no point anyways as stock front fiero brakes are smaller then your front brakes, If your talkin about the rear discs then nothing from them is going to do you any good without a custom caliper mounting bracket. generally theres nothing you can use from it. Whats wrong with the fiero that your going to tear it apart anyways?

and looking at an 88 wont do you much good speed racer z the 88 Fieros had totally different suspension and brakes then the 84-87 Im a bit of a fiero nut

Honestly the fiero is an all around better platform then the J's save for the stock drivetrain.

THE BRACKET would be no prob my friends dad owns a machine shop and would do it for free just for the challenge. and the reason i was going to tear it apart was because my friend bought a new car because the motor it in is almost dead.

Quote:

Um,yeah, as far as front brakes go...Cavalier Z24 front brakes are an UPGRADE to fiero fronts...pre-88 fieros are 4 wheel disc, but they're solid rotors all around (NOT VENTED). (I think they switched to vented in 88...don't remember for certain though)

He just put all new slotted and drilled rotors, new pads and calipers on about 3 months ago. but i just wanted the back not the front.

thanks for the help guys i guess i wont do it. i will just save my money and get a big brake kit.

thanks

Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:24 PM
NotsoOceansideEco wrote:and looking at an 88 wont do you much good speed racer z the 88 Fieros had totally different suspension and brakes then the 84-87 Im a bit of a fiero nut

This I know....... been into fieros for almost 10 years....... and my dad bought one in '84, right off the lot......... since then I've owned one.... '84 (shared between me and my brother), and my brother owned another one...... '88, that he just traided to my dad...... he's in the process of swaping in a 3400 and turboing it.......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search