Thinking about upgrading brakes? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thinking about upgrading brakes?
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:30 PM
ok it has been a few hundred miles since i put my newpowerslotted rotors and hawk break pads i got from gravana. i think are great! i stopp 100% better then i did with my stock POS rotors and pads. if ur considering do ur rotors and pads do it u wont be sorry. and i also heard its even better if u get the brakes lines done also.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001

Re: Thinking about upgrading brakes?
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:46 PM
I just did that today and I already noticed the difference and I haven't even gotten on them yet cuz I haven't broken them in so I really haven't gotten on them yet so looking forward to the added braking on the highways because those stock brakes are crazy scary. And really considering doing the braided brake lines and DOT 4 brake fluid once I get some cash together. But stock tires gotta go ASAP so might be a bit before I do that.
Friday, September 30, 2005 9:10 PM
Anytime you put new performance pads/rotors on Bed them! It make a huge difference in life and performance!

Wilwood Directions

My directions:

1. Put new stuff on.
2. Drive around easy on them for a little while, so you know it's all good and not going to fall off, especially if this is your first time. Seat belts too, safety first.
3. Get up to 60 (give or take 5) MPH.
4. Brake hard, and I mean hard, down to 10 (give or take 5) MPH. Do not brake hard enough to engage ABS! But just less than that.
5. Repeat 3&4, 4 or 5 times in a row. It should stink so bad you can hardly stand it. (I do it 5 times, it stinks horribly for 24 hours, then it's all good).
6. This is the most important part! Do not stop (and use the brakes very little) for 10 to 15 minutes. Time yourself, don't guess.

If you stop early, or if you engage the ABS from braking too hard, you may burn-in the rotors. Which makes them pulse, also called warping the rotors. If you feel any pulse, have them machined (at $12+ a pop) and start at #1.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:04 PM
Or u can go by what power slot says in there directions and make 6-10 stops from 35 mph to 5 mph applying moderate pressure and then letting the brakes cool and making 2-3 hard stops from 50 mph to 10 mph and always keeping the vehicle moving. But u should avoid excessive or high speed braking until the system has seated in and that takes bout 200-500 miles
Sunday, October 02, 2005 4:24 PM
The powerslot directions are meant for a normal street pad. If you are using a high performance pad, then you need to get more heat in them. So, when using a track/street pad you should be doing stops from about 60 mph down to 10 mph.

Excellent instructions can be found here

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search