Thoughts on Phantom Grip - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thoughts on Phantom Grip
Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:27 AM
Just wanting to gauge some thought on the pahntom grip LSD conversion by some people that may have some experience with it. Thanks in advance.

I'll have a sig someday....................

Re: Thoughts on Phantom Grip
Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:50 AM
its great!

does everything it claims, havent had any problems with over 25,000 miles so far.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:03 PM
Not to thread jack or anything but where would I be able to get the LSD anddoes the conversion involve a lot of work? I figure it wouldn't be "plug and play" but how much exactly? Sorry again for jacking.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:27 PM
What is that?
Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:33 PM
Its a Limited Slip Differential, basically instead of having the majority of power from your engine going to one wheel, it will evenly distribute the power to both drive wheels.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:49 PM
Oh... I see....
Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:50 PM
go with the TEAM GREEN LSD if they ever come off back order

Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:36 PM
yea
you have to
pull the trans
split the case
compress it and instal into the diff....also have to remove diff pin

spliting the case for the trans is a bit tough on your own

Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:25 PM
phantomgrip.com

they can install it for you, but plan to do a complete rebuild while you are in there.... the diff in an auto transmission is in the most netherest of regions... it would be like reaching into your mouth and down to your feet and toes to get to it....

Friday, September 30, 2005 8:41 PM
LSDs on our trannys are for people who really know what they're doing. OR for people who aren't afraid to do anything. Everyone else, take it to a tranny shop.

I would give it a 5 of 5 wrenches on the difficulty scale. Some special tools, a lot of knowledge and hard work.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 4:27 PM
I just checked to see how much this would be to install, (not wnatign to attempt in myself since I don't know the getrag tranny well enough for my taste) and the cost is too great for the time being. I think I would be better erved with a rear swaybar and some poly control amr and endlink bushings for the front right now.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:35 PM
Why not tell us what the cost is?

15.71 @ 87.9mph 9-17-05
Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:46 PM
My local place (which is kinda expensive) said about (off the cuff estimates)
Stick: 400-600
Auto: 500-700

He never done one on our tranny's before, so take those estimates with a grain of salt.

Monday, October 03, 2005 10:04 PM
BlackEco wrote:Why not tell us what the cost is?

its alot easier for each individual to ask what their local shops will charge....

as we all know by now, prices differ from shop to shop and especially state to state.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:13 AM
I love my TEAM GREEN LSD.. just like the Phantom Grip, but more economical and a better piece

Cost me $250 to get it installed into the transmission... but I had the transmission out of the car already... I dropped off the trans and the piece to a shop, and $250 later it was installed then I took the trans home and installed it.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:54 AM
^^^ I assume that was in your 5spd right? Not when you had an Auto Tranny.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:02 PM
Yup... it IS in my 5 speed getrag.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:18 PM
I wish i could find a place to put one on for me in a few hours because i dont have a spare tranny and i cannot be without a car

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 4:34 PM
Heh... no chance of that. You have to take out the trans and take the diff out... then take the diff apart as well

At least a day's job, unless they know J's really well.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:30 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:I wish i could find a place to put one on for me in a few hours because i dont have a spare tranny and i cannot be without a car

buy a spare diff and get it installed, then call chesapeake trans down here in md where i had mine done.... they had mine in by 9 and out by 2... they are open from like 8:30 or 9 till like 5 or 6 and considering a manual is less stuff than an auto... theres a good chance it can be done.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 2:30 PM
Yeah this is gonna be too much for me to undertake at this time. I might just buy the phntom grip and save it though.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 6:42 PM
after driving in "this weekends downpour of the east coast" with flash floods (i cant even go to EB games today cause they are flooded) to the machine shop and to the bank which is normally a 25 minute spree.... which took 1:15....

yea, and thinking about all last winter....and autoX

PG is def worth it.

Sunday, October 09, 2005 11:56 PM
Yeah, I wish I had the $ for it right now.

Monday, October 10, 2005 7:13 PM
i have a spare diff for sale.....50 bucks if anyone wants one

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search