Lowering problem - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lowering problem
Saturday, September 24, 2005 1:02 PM
I got my 03 Cav lowered about a week ago. I have the Pro Kit with the KYB G2 struts/shocks. When we lowered my car we had a problem getting the nut on the tops of the struts/shocks to tighten all the way down. I took it (very slowly) to a local suspension shop so they could tighten things down. Now I can still hear a slight movement everytime I hit the LEAST little bump in the road. I know you have to give your springs time to settle but it has been over a week now. Plus the ride quality is TERRIBLE. I knew it was going to get worse but OMG... Oh, and in the event that I should hit a pretty good sized bump without avoiding it, if I'm going pretty fast when the car comes down again it kind of swings back & forth like I'm losing control... Has anyone else had this problem? Should I take it back to they shop & let them have at it again?

Re: Lowering problem
Saturday, September 24, 2005 1:57 PM
GR2 can not control ProKit springs. And you have already voided the warranty. Should have read the faq before you tried to lower your car; and bought AGX.

KYBs (AGX or GR2) need a washer at the top under that nut, or it will not tighten down all the way, and it's dangerous. You can called KYB and get washers free, the newer kits come with them, the older ones do not.

Saturday, September 24, 2005 2:47 PM
But I put up another post before I bought the stuff & everyone told me that the GR2's would match the Pro-Kit seeing as the kit is a 1.4 drop & KYB is can handle up to 1.5 inch drop max..... Maybe not, huh? I think I just need those washers....
Saturday, September 24, 2005 2:57 PM
Then again, I think you're right. The ride is overly bouncy so I guess that's what you mean by they can't control it... Well, I guess I'm stuck with em' for a while bc I can't afford to upgrade right now unless I absolutely HAVE (meaning they blow or bottom out)...... Something TOLD me to wait & just get a coilover set but NOOOO.....
Saturday, September 24, 2005 4:12 PM
Have the mechanics check and see what CTS is talking about. Also, your mounts might be bad. I just got mine lowered today on Sportlines and Tokico D-Specs, and I think its hella bouncy - the struts are factory set on full hard so obviously that will affect it, but its something you have to live with when lowering I guess.

Saturday, September 24, 2005 5:53 PM
CTS - According to KYB's site clicky - all are within the drop warranty. However, to the original poster, the GR-2's are OEM replacements. You should have gone with AGX as they are 1) adjustable, and 2) not OEM height replacements.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 7:42 AM
Well that's news to me. Hmm. Not too suprising I guess, as it wasn't too long ago that they switched to a lifetime warranty; used to be 1 year warranty (and if you get an old box, the paper warranty will still say 1 year).

As far as the washer goes, it's posted all over this forum. Just give KYB a call, they'll send it right out to you. Or if you impatient, go to home depot and grab a good high grade washer.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:29 PM
The f*&$^ing shocks blew already!!! I am SO pissed.... Now I have to shell out more money to get the right stuff that I should've gotten the first time... Let this be a lesson to any other newbs...
Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:37 PM
how do you know they're blown

15.891 @ 88 mph stock, still getting @!#$ty launches...
Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:39 PM
I took them to a mechanic. Plus theres fluid leaking all over the rear shocks.... He says they hardly have any fluid left in them so they're bottoming out when I hit ruff terrain....
Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:44 PM
whoa.....what kind of roads do you live on? damn that sucks man, i had gr2's on my car for about 6 months with H&R springs that lower the car 1.5 inches and mine held up fine, i just chose to upgrade to KYB AGX struts.

well, all i can say is get the AGX struts, about 350 bucks on ebay usually

yup 350 bucks plus shipping

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)

Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:50 PM
Yep. I've been pricing them already. I live in South Carolina & in my town they're doing a lot of road work. There's a new hole or ditch or bump or SOMETHING everyday so it's impossible for me to remember "trouble spots". I'm just so PISSED that they didn't even last a month & they were brand new...
Friday, September 30, 2005 1:13 AM
Quote:

theres fluid leaking all over the rear shocks

I thought the GR-2's had nitrogen in them? why would there be fluid all over them?

I know the stock shocks have oil in them............................

Friday, September 30, 2005 4:29 AM
The GR-2's probably shouldn't have blown that fast. I would see if you could get the blown ones replaced under warranty and sell your whole set here on the org for about 180-200. Then you only have to shell out another $150 for AGX's.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:57 PM
That's what I thought!! But the guy at the shop told me they're blown.... He checked to see if the rear ones were tight and he said they were... I may take it to another shop & get a 2nd opinion but I've dealt with this guy before & he's cool. He wouldn't steer me wrong intentionally... I can hear the shaft in the shock tapping the top on bumps so that's why I'm guessing their blown...
My front ones still are loose & I have yet to get that resolved.. As soon as my buddy gets time he's gonna help me put the stock setup back in there till I get some AGX's.....
Thursday, October 20, 2005 1:15 AM
Steven Holliday wrote:The f*&$^ing shocks blew already!!! I am SO pissed.... Now I have to shell out more money to get the right stuff that I should've gotten the first time... Let this be a lesson to any other newbs...

We all say that before people go and waste their money, but hardly anyone listens

Thursday, October 20, 2005 2:28 PM
Tell me about it..... This car modding hobby is becoming way too expensive.... I just can't help myself though!!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search