Can i JUST LOWER THE BACK?? with cheap coils?? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can i JUST LOWER THE BACK?? with cheap coils??
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:33 PM
well im wondering how i can just llower my back since it stands out too much i dont need a bunch of @!#$ or whatever just a simple question(s)
1. Can i buy cheap coil overs on ebay just to use on the back just for VISUAL i dont need or want any performance upgrade.
2. How will the ride be, i would just be lowering it enough to EVEN out the car (front and back) since the back sticks up so much.. thanx!!
Brandon

Re: Can i JUST LOWER THE BACK?? with cheap coils??
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:43 PM
Short answer:

1. no
2. bad

...long answer, wait for someone to post after me

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:47 PM
Shouldnt be to bad.. It's just the rear..

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:47 PM
Its a really bad idea. Its going to mess up your rake. Is it a daily driver or just a show car?
You could get cheap coilovers and make the front stock...and lower the back so its even. But just doing the back is a very bad idea. It will also screw up ur tires.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:55 PM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:Short answer:

1. no
2. bad

...long answer, wait for someone to post after me

only resonable answer so far.

no you cant because of the rake, its not meant to be like that. dont not go cheap and get cheap coils. if you do you'll pay for it in the end. i know i say this alot but please search. this exact same question was asked already. its not a good thing to do.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:03 PM
as if your fake purge wasnt gay enough please dont lower just the rear

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:49 PM

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:13 PM
well im not going to lower the front.. why does it matter if i lower the back like an inch or so just even it out?? what are the main things that are gonna go wrong if any how will it mess my tires up

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:35 PM
Just cut your springs and then hang yourself on the clothes line out back.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:47 PM
hm ok?

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:22 PM
Well, here's why the Cavalier (and many other vehicles) have a positive rake:

What happens when you put stuff in the trunk or people in the backseat? If the rear didn't sit a bit higher than the front, your car would drag ass down the highway -- same reason most pickup trucks are higher in the rear.

Would just lowering the rear affect your tire wear - probably not... Lowering the rear would not change the camber, caster, or toe of the rear wheels (physically impossible due to the design of the Cavalier rear suspension).

Would lowering just the rear (and changing the spring rates, respectively) affect your overall handling -- most likely. How exactly, I cannot predict.

As for your statement: "well im wondering how i can just llower my back since it stands out too much i dont need a bunch of @!#$ or whatever just a simple question(s)"

Asking questions doesn't make you an idiot -- doing stupid and dangerous things with your car (for the aforementioned reasons) makes you an idiot. In essence, don't be an idiot. If you want to have an all-around ajustable suspension, buy a set of 4 quality coilovers. If you can't afford them, wait (or spend less money on "show" and more for "go").

Flame away...

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:04 PM
Well, to put it simply...

If you only change the rear to a cheap coilover, you will be running an EXTREMELY stiff spring rate in the rear and a very soft one in the front. This will cause your car to have a tendany to spin out when going around corners.

If you are dead set on lowering your car as cheap as possible, purchase a set of Suspension Techniques (1.2") lowering springs or the Tien S-techs (1.0") lowering springs and put them on your current struts. It wont be the best handling car, but it will be MUCH safer than putting coilovers on just your rear.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:07 PM
cut 1 full coil off then heat up the opposite side of the spring with a torch till its red hot then put your weight on the spring and bend that part to make it tapered like it originally was(so it still sits level in the strut). You should be fine doing this, I dont know for sure but theres a chance your struts might wear out faster but this isnt a whole lot to lower it. Usually cutting 1 full coil is about 1 inch of lowering but it might be best to start with a half of a coil to make sure you dont take too much off. I know I will take crap for saying this but I have had no problems cutting coils as long as you dont cut too much off and the spring isnt too soft to begin with. Also, DO NOT remove bump stops.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:14 PM
--->Just cut your rear springs........heat them up or cut them.........

Yes it will:

-Drop the rear
-Change stock spring rates
-Make the rear bouncy
-Will blow stock struts and become a pretty harsh ride

--->Just grab cheap coils on ebay and do the rears only

Yes it will:

-Drop the rear
-Give you different spring rate
-Make the rear bouncy
-Might blow stock struts and become a pretty harsh ride

--->Just get some quality coils

Yes it will:

-Drop the rear
-Change stock spring rate
-Might not be as bouncy
-Might blow stock struts and become a pretty harsh ride

Dude its clear you aren'y trying to do much right with your car so go ahead and do what you feel.......The only good choice out of this would be the last option coupled with good struts of course. But seeing as the way you're going with your car, and I jumped into your shoes, i'd probably cut my springs considering you wouldn't want to waste money. They'll basically give you the same effect as buying crap coilovers and its pretty easy to do.

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:16 PM
^ An idea that is just as bad.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:43 PM
Seriously it is not a smart idea to tamper with a set of springs. They are designed with a certain spring rating and by cutting them it may change that. Buying cheap coilovers off ebay is also a bad idea, because usually these cheap kits come missing important pieces (Top Hats, etc. etc.) and have EXTREMELY high spring ratings.

The wise choice in my opinion...
Take a little time, be patient and save some extra cash. Not going to kill you or anyone else. Everyone is use to seeing a cavalier at stock height anyways, I mean they are everywhere...
Out of all the options listed above, I think waiting and buying a quality set of coilovers would be best bet.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:48 PM
just get the koni sport kit, it comes wiht yellows and springs that lower like a lil over an inch in front and half an inch more in the rear to even it out
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:50 PM
I can't believe i'm reading this @!#$.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 10:30 PM
i CANNOT lower the front.. my suspension SUCKS AS IT IS... its a BUMPY ride.. how much worse can it get and i have no modification.. my struts/ shocks are obviously blown/wore out.. 114k miles never been replaced that i know of.. i think ill just cut a coil all i want to do is simply even it out not a hard task

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 11:16 PM
dude you are a tool

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:00 AM
Here I found something perfect for you!

Fake Air Bags

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 4:27 AM
Brandon Schmidt wrote:i CANNOT lower the front.. my suspension SUCKS AS IT IS... its a BUMPY ride.. how much worse can it get and i have no modification.. my struts/ shocks are obviously blown/wore out.. 114k miles never been replaced that i know of.. i think ill just cut a coil all i want to do is simply even it out not a hard task

you spend all this money gettin' your car repainted, new rims, fixed everytime your crash it. just buy a quality suspension. i dont wanna hear "i have the drift kit, its too low" i had the same kit w/ coils and konis and i was fine. your just gonna half ass your car again and your going to hit a bump, crack your bumper and complain. well no @!#$, if you actually fixed what was wrong w/ it instead of replacing things that dont need to be replaced (ie. new paint, new rims) do whatever you want, its almost pointless helping you

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:26 AM
Brandon Schmidt wrote:i CANNOT lower the front.. my suspension SUCKS AS IT IS... its a BUMPY ride.. how much worse can it get and i have no modification.. my struts/ shocks are obviously blown/wore out.. 114k miles never been replaced that i know of.. i think ill just cut a coil all i want to do is simply even it out not a hard task

your suspension sucks as it is because your struts are blown........get a set of H&R springs (200 bucks tops) and a set of KYB AGX struts (350 on ebay) and i gaurnetee that your car will look nicer, sit even, and ride better.

those cheap ebay coils are just dangerous, theyre generic......who wants to buy a generic suspension part.....not me, i want a part thats made for my car, one that will work.

cutting/heating coils........don't even want to get into this one, but i saw a civic on the highway a few days ago with heated springs.......till one broke and he lost control at 70mph on the highway.......cut springs are just as bad.........car looks like a basketball

but do whatever, just if you use cheap coils or cut springs don't come back here expecting sympathy when your car wrecks on you

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:00 AM
Done this. Used Suspension Technique springs just in the rear. No issue for over 1 and years. No effect on handling. No nothing.
The one benefit of the suspension technique spring is that it is NOT progressive rate. It is linear rate, same as stock.

tygriff
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:02 AM
agree with most all here, even bballjamal.... even though its a bad idea, if he wants to be cheap, and already has a bad ride, and doesnt care about improving... let him do it....

by now people know whats crappy and whats not. however posts still will occur about doing something crappy and they are just looking for one or two people to say "its ok" then they will do it...

then comeback and complain when the body work is damaged, paint chipped, accident, etc....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search