New suspension purchase...quick questions - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New suspension purchase...quick questions
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:44 AM
I'm looking to put new shocks/coilovers on my 02 cavy.

RKSport Coilovers

KYB AGX Shocks

first off will these be a decent purchase for normal every day driving (I don't race or anything) and secondly I needed to know if I needed a camber kit for these and if so which one? Any help is very greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: New suspension purchase...quick questions
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:54 AM
The AGX can't handle the spring rates. Go with Koni if you want coilovers or get a complete solution such as what Gravana and Tein offer.

No need for a camber kit.

Monday, September 19, 2005 11:02 AM
what he said above, either get a full coil over set up with shock included. Really your only choice if you are doing coil overs if Koni.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Monday, September 19, 2005 12:24 PM
My AGX's will be using ground control coilovers soon (300 all around), and I believe novaracer is running coilovers on his AGX's as well.

The RKSport spring rates are too high, and hurt turnin.

a lot of civics have been have been doing great with agx/coilover combo's in IT.

-Chris

Monday, September 19, 2005 12:41 PM
If i remember correctly Novaracer has it but it is not something he recommends. Also, AGX warranty also does not want you to use coil overs also.
you can't compare civics to cavaliers with suspension. What is done for one car may not be good for another.

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Monday, September 19, 2005 12:59 PM
IamRascal wrote:My AGX's will be using ground control coilovers soon (300 all around), and I believe novaracer is running coilovers on his AGX's as well.

300 all around?? Isn't that going to be too low in the front and too high in the back? There's a reason we don't have the same springs in the front as in the back... not the least of which has to do with comparative weights.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:34 AM
Mylife75 wrote:If i remember correctly Novaracer has it but it is not something he recommends. Also, AGX warranty also does not want you to use coil overs also.
you can't compare civics to cavaliers with suspension. What is done for one car may not be good for another.

My point was that it has been done before and proved to work effectively.

on the spring rates I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I want.

Also Because of the greatness of coilovers if one end of the car is higher than the other I can just adjust them, I'm only going down 1.5''

-Chris

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:57 AM
IamRascal wrote:Also Because of the greatness of coilovers if one end of the car is higher than the other I can just adjust them, I'm only going down 1.5''

It's not a matter of the height. It's a matter of what happens when you hit a bump.

Since the front of the car has more mass, it is putting more force downward on the springs. This means that when you hit a bump, if the spring rates are the same then the front springs will compress more than the rear ones. You'll bind them much quicker and have some unpredictable handling.

Conversely, with the lesser weight in the back, if the springs are too stiff they'll push the back end up rather than absorbing the bump.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:26 AM
IamRascal wrote:
My point was that it has been done before and proved to work effectively.

on the spring rates I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I want.

Also Because of the greatness of coilovers if one end of the car is higher than the other I can just adjust them, I'm only going down 1.5''

you are missing that they are designed for progressive spring not linear which is what coil overs are as well so no mater the height it it still an issue. The misconception is that just because you are on coil you can make the same height as springs. They ride completely different because othe fact springs are progressive and coilovers aren't. Even Novaracer said he will see how long they last. Also because these coil overs really need to be mass balanced so that the weight is evenly ditrubuted around the car so that the weight sits even'y on each corner spring already have that factored it. So if your coil over are not balanced properly in weight you will have more weight on one corner from the other which will result in more wear on certain corners.

all the time

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:33 AM
right, just because you can put them on there, doesnt mean they should go on there. sure they will work for a while but they will blow. when they blow, you wont be able to get new ones since you voided the warranty. basically if you get coils, like mentioned, konis is really the only option

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:12 PM
Rascal- seriously, it is not a good idea to run 300 all the way around.

Why don't you email GC? The will recommend a good spring rate to use with those shocks and be sure to tell them its a daily driver that sees the autocross track on the weekends.

Also, an email to autoxfool might not be a bad idea since I know he has been running GC's on Yellows for some time.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:11 AM
I emailed ground control. They won't talk to me unless i'm a "existing customer". So I'd have to send in my order then talk to them about rates. Im starting to think of just getting the H&R springs and calling it even.

Whatever car I have next I'll do the Koni/GC combo on, unless I can get someone to buy my KYB's

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search