need struts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need struts
Thursday, September 08, 2005 6:50 AM
i have a 98 z24 and i am in dire need of struts. now i was told that my car has struts all around...is this true. now i need all 4 and i dont wanna pay a fortune for them. although i do want a quality product. ive been told to check out kyb struts, anyone have any experience or feed back about these.??

*****better luck next time honda boy*****

Re: need struts
Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:03 AM
If you are not lowered, KYB GR2 are fine so are Gabriel Struts or even Monroe struts.

If you are lowered if only up to 1.5" KYB AGX
if lower then Koni of Tokico D Spec.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:51 AM
kyb is good. it will work for some lowering springs but nothin' past a 1.5" drop since it will void the warrenty on the struts. you can find them on ebay and i think they go for like 370 for all 4

Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:44 AM
The KYB GR2's (which can be used on factory springs) are going for about $225 on ebay for the whole set- I think.

Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:30 AM
I really like the ride and looks of the KYB AGX's ..had mine for a little over a yr .. and they can be adjusted without removing them from the car Unlike others

Monday, September 12, 2005 1:40 PM
If I have a 1.75inch drop, what recommened struts???
Struts that perform pretty well, but not too much out of pocket?
Koni Reds?
Thanks

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Monday, September 12, 2005 1:43 PM
anythin' lower than 1.5" i suggest konis

Monday, September 12, 2005 2:05 PM
Monday, September 12, 2005 2:22 PM
Thanks,
So what would happen if I had AGX or GR-2's? Besides voiding the warranty, would the struts still make the car bouncy or eventually blow them out /deterioate them?

Monday, September 12, 2005 2:40 PM
GR-2's would be your worst case. They wouldn't last very long at all since they are just OEM replacements.

AGX's may last a little longer since they were designed to handle mild drops. They probably wouldn't last as long as a set of Koni's. AGX's can be found on ebay for like $365 shipped.

If it were me, I would get the Koni Reds (even at $440) over the AGX's. Koni Yellows would be optimal though.

Gravana is currently running a deal for Koni Yellow's and B&G springs that are a 1.6" drop. I think its like ~$740 shipped. If you did that and sold your current springs I think you would be happiest (though it is most expensive). Optimal handling is at a 1.5" drop because the control arms are parallel to the ground at that point.

Monday, September 12, 2005 5:56 PM
We have a over stock on a couple sets of Koni yellows we will let go for $499.99 + ship first two to email us gets the discount codes.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 11:21 AM
Okay, thanks for the posts but last question!
3 years ago with an ECO, all RKSPORT, no choice but to buy whatever they had!
Like most of us, buying good performance parts from respectable companies would be great, except who is willing to put up the cash??
KYB GR-2's sound like decent shocks, but they aren't KONI yellows!
Of course I would love Koni, Tokico etc, but perhaps in the mean time KYB will do!
So my question is:
I've had my H & R 1.75 inch drop for over 2 years, grant it I drive very carefully and only have my miles in the mid-20's! My car still rides great, not that bouncy considering cheap "level II suspension." Its a nice smooth ride, not very firm obviously, but I like it
So, since KYB GR-2 are replacement OE struts, doesn't that mean that these struts are obviously stiffer and better than stock? And if my springs ride pretty good on the stock shocks so far, even though they are wearing out quicker than normal, wouldn't the KYB still ride bettter and handle better, even though that would also be wearing out a little quicker but not as much? So wouldn't I still see a big improvement in handling, and the stiffer struts to go with the stiffer springs should be a better overall combination, regardless of the drop? My drop on stock shocks has been fine, so wouldn't it be FINE on KYB's?
Thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search