Brake Bleeding - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brake Bleeding
Saturday, July 23, 2005 8:55 PM
I have a '96 Cavilier with ABS. My wheel caliper went and so I replaced them. I started last weekend but when the line broke I was not able to finish the job. I taped the line up to prevent the fluid from dripping out (which I thought was strange since usually it stops after a while, but this kept coming).
Today I finally had enough time to finish the job and start bleeding the brakes, following the Haynes manual. I bled the farthest back valve on the hydraulic unit then moved up to the front one - it took me at least an hour to work on it and I am still not finished. The air bubbles just keep on coming. I have been through 750mL of brake fluid so far. Is this normal? I have not even started the lines yet, this seems that it will take for ever.

Re: Brake Bleeding
Saturday, July 23, 2005 9:29 PM
when the fluid comes out are you sure there bubbles or just the fluid moving very fast?
sometimes it can be confusing. does your brake peddle feel ok?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:26 PM
Yes, they are definitely bubbles, they definitely pop out, they are not entrained.
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 10:03 AM
Another question to ask on this, i left my car sitting in the drive way for about 2 mths and i never bothered with my brake lines, when i push down the pedel if feels as if the rotors is warped.. The pedal feels as if it is pushing back and throbbing... sort of.. what is this? anybody know?
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 10:31 AM
Scott: most likely rust buildup, or could be a bad ball joint. They could be warped too. Remember that warping is a bs word we use. The rotor is straight as an arrow still, it just has deposits on it making the pad slip or stick differently as the rotor goes round.

Anybody else get deja vu on this, I swear I saw this exact same conversation a month ago.

How closely are you following the directions? You open the bleeder only when the pedal is all the way up; push the pedal down; close the bleeder; release the pedal; and repeat? I've seen more than one person leave the bleeder open and wonder where all the bubbles are coming from.

I did a Bonneville earlier this year. It only took 1.5 litres to flush and fill the whole system. I had replaced the master cylinder and 3 of the 4 brake lines too.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:53 AM
Pearl WhiteZ wrote:Yes, they are definitely bubbles, they definitely pop out, they are not entrained.

Tap the caliper with a rubber mallet or something while bleeding them to knock loose the bigger bubbles.

Once the fluid is running through clean, just keep reusing it. Don't keep cracking open new bottles.

Did the MC go dry at any point?

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 2:53 PM
If the master cyclinder ran dry while you were bleeding the brakes, your gonna have the bleed the master cylinder. make sure the master cylinder doesnt run dry when you bleed the brake again.

Btw, i think my haynes manual talks about using a brake bleeder wrench, isn't it just an ordinary small wrench?

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 3:36 PM
The master cylinder did go dry and it had to be bench bled.

The reason you saw this exact question a month ago was because thats when I originally posted it.
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:50 PM
LOL.. Should have checked the dates..

Thursday, August 18, 2005 6:42 AM
Pearl WhiteZ wrote:The master cylinder did go dry and it had to be bench bled.

The reason you saw this exact question a month ago was because thats when I originally posted it.

In that case, do you have the instructions for bleeding the ABS unit as well? It's in my Haynes manual but I really don't know off the top of my head how to do it.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:10 AM
The units with traction control have a bleeder nut at the top, just like a caliper. I don't know about the non-TC units.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:42 PM
My 4 wheel anti-lock has two screws, but they will not do you any good if you have been bled dry, you will still have to remove the master cylinder and do it externally.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search