Anybody heard of NEX Technology Coilovers? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anybody heard of NEX Technology Coilovers?
Friday, July 22, 2005 4:54 PM
I'm talking to someone that is selling some stuff he bought a while back for his cavalier and he said he had coilovers and the brand name on the box is Nex Technology. I did a search on here and on the entire web and found that they are excellent coilovers (comparible to Ground Controls) for a fraction of the price. I'm just not sure if they really make them for Cavy's or not. If they are truely Nex Technology coilovers I'm gonna go for em. Does anyone know if they do make them for our cars?

Re: Anybody heard of NEX Technology Coilovers?
Saturday, July 23, 2005 8:29 AM
They do make them for our cars. And I've seen them go on eBay for $40 a set. The spring rates are 450/350, aluminum tophat (at least it's not plastic!), but no bearing. It's a universal kit, and comes with a bazillion rubber o-rings and grommets of different sizes.
I believe it's a clone of the HP kit. Looks identical. Material quality actually looked ok, but with that stiff a spring rate you'll need some really high-end shocks to handle it without killing ride quality (something like the Koni 8610 inserts?), and without the tophat bearing it will start to squeak and creak around corners soon enough, possibly start to wear.

If all that sounds ok to you, then yeah, the price is unbeatable.
Saturday, July 23, 2005 10:21 AM
Sounds to me like a typical generic kit. I'd steer clear.

Saturday, July 23, 2005 11:53 AM
crap

Saturday, July 23, 2005 12:40 PM
cool, sounds like a pretty solid consensis that they're crap. thanks for the input! I'll keep on lookin' for something better.
Sunday, July 24, 2005 3:17 AM
Honestly, look at peoples pictures of people who have straight springs, not coilovers...see what height you like and want. Springs will hold up better than coilovers (for the most part). There really isn't any GREAT company that makes coilovers for our cars except for RK Sport (Pro-streets). But if coilovers is what you want, that's cool. Keep doing more research on what people have and how they like it.

Good Luck.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, July 24, 2005 1:16 PM
more ebay crap to fool people.....ohhhgoodee goodee

Monday, July 25, 2005 6:38 AM
An update for those curious, I just installed a set of these for a friend. Couldn't talk him out of it. On stock quality struts. Had to get new struts, the stock ones were bad apparently, leaking oil. I was able to talk him into keeping the coilovers at a high height, so the ride height is near stock.
After a couple test drives... not horrible ride quality, but a little bouncy on big bumps due to the stock struts. But, what really sucks is all the noise. All 4 corners creak on bumps, and the front end creaks when you turn the wheel. Sometimes on big bumps you can hear a metal-on-metal POP, sometimes in the front, sometimes in the back. Made me feel like the struts were bottoming out and slamming into the stops, but I'm pretty sure they're not, at least not at the height we had it. Not sure if new mounts would help him or not. I think I'm going to help him grease the @!#$ out of the mounts and spring perch, to try to eliminate some noise.
Overall, I think I'd have to say, "ghetto". The kit is definitely not made exactly for this car, and is missing parts, most notably a bearing to prevent all the damn noise. Maybe with quality struts it would have been better too, but hard to say.
Monday, July 25, 2005 7:07 AM
jasen wrote:An update for those curious, I just installed a set of these for a friend. Couldn't talk him out of it. On stock quality struts. Had to get new struts, the stock ones were bad apparently, leaking oil. I was able to talk him into keeping the coilovers at a high height, so the ride height is near stock.
After a couple test drives... not horrible ride quality, but a little bouncy on big bumps due to the stock struts. But, what really sucks is all the noise. All 4 corners creak on bumps, and the front end creaks when you turn the wheel. Sometimes on big bumps you can hear a metal-on-metal POP, sometimes in the front, sometimes in the back. Made me feel like the struts were bottoming out and slamming into the stops, but I'm pretty sure they're not, at least not at the height we had it. Not sure if new mounts would help him or not. I think I'm going to help him grease the @!#$ out of the mounts and spring perch, to try to eliminate some noise.
Overall, I think I'd have to say, "ghetto". The kit is definitely not made exactly for this car, and is missing parts, most notably a bearing to prevent all the damn noise. Maybe with quality struts it would have been better too, but hard to say.

main points of your post in bold...

1) bouncy, is sh__ handling. thats past horrible. pogo sticks bounce. cars shouldnt...not even in rally racing. the land and absorb....

2)all the noise.... in no way should suspension make noise, especially like that. superchargers, turbos, engines...those make noise, suspension shouldnt... unless your air bags are lifting and or lowering.

3) metal on metal POP... your friend has to be a few fries short of a happy meal if he kept em on there after that. if you were walking around and heard snapping of bones, and continued without checking your body, it would be safe to say one might have a less than avg IQ level. for the car, one would prob be lower in IQ especially with it being stock height and doing that.

4) help him grease the hell out of the mounts? for what, so it can attract dirt and then become the same consistency as sand paper. this is underneath the car we are talking about. you can invest in stock of ky jelly a lifetime supply, however by now everyone with any functioning brains should know these crap parts dont come with all the parts. you know it, and thats cool.... your friend just simply doesnt care

can you imagine running an engine .....WITH NO BEARINGS?... if something should have bearings a top hat to support em and a flat surface to turn on..... but doesnt.... caking it with grease may last a day or so, but then you destroy the top hat and strut mount. all the debris that gets in the grease will slowly grind stuff down each time you turn... and since most people turn left and right, or mainly right in NJ... thats alot of grinding

and you can get high quality struts, but really it wouldnt matter... they arent made to fit our cars, so the "metal on metal POP"....you would still hear. mostly coming from coilovers ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SIT ON SPRING SEATS....

any quality set will remove the spring seats and have the sleeve sit on a weld via a inner ring on the sleeve to center it.

ghetto is putting duct tape on an intake instead of couplers....

it will work fine, and cause no problems...

using those coilovers which will screw up your car are along the lines of

REMEDIAL

RETARDED

PISS POOR

and prob

CLUELESS.

even a homeless bum would opt for something better if he had a car, they atleast try to get things that will last.

Monday, July 25, 2005 7:39 AM
Event: Ever feel like you're trying to evaporate the ocean with a blow-torch?

Monday, July 25, 2005 12:04 PM
So Event: You're trying to say I SHOULD buy these coilovers then right???!! Lol, J/k. I agree with everything you said, I think I'm going to end up getting the sportline lowering springs.

**And on a side note**
I just made and installed my subframe brace according the the ny-jbodies site and man.......with the upper strut brace i've got, the difference in handling is night and day now!

Monday, July 25, 2005 3:07 PM
Who you preaching to Event? The only people that really need to hear that obviously don't read the boards.
I think that poor horsey is dead enough.

Hey, him having spent $38 or whatever on the entire set, I don't think he's worried about the tophat wearing down. Apparently not too worried about the effect on the rest of the suspension. At least he listened to sense and didn't try to slam the car.
Actually, looking at the parts again, I'm 90% sure I can modify the existing tophat to fit the stock strut bearing. Not that hard.
Still a crap kit, but we may be able to band-aid it into a sub-par semblence of adequacy.
Pretty laughable though.
Monday, July 25, 2005 3:15 PM
C.T.S wrote:Event: Ever feel like you're trying to evaporate the ocean with a blow-torch?

its been like that around here since 2001. SSDP and SSDNOP

Same S--- Different post
Same S--- Different Name Of Product

but hopefully if enough are persistant, it will keep others welll less of others of making the same mistakes...

86SVO, def dont forget the struts.

Jasen, thats the thing, you shouldnt have to modify it... he might not be, but i would be personally. cause lets say it does wear down and something snaps or breaks.... you were the one who installed em, dont let that get brought up if the issue ever goes to court. or if he gets hurt and his fam wants to put the blame on you.

bandaids are the LAST thing you wanna put on crucial issues....

Monday, July 25, 2005 4:22 PM
lol you people crack me up w/ this "well i'll be able to modify my cheap $30 coils and make them ok"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search