Rigid brake lies - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rigid brake lies
Friday, July 15, 2005 7:18 PM
Hi All

need to replace the rigid brake lines on a '93 2.2 Cav.

Has anyone purchased ready made sets and if so where are they available.

Any comments on 90/10 cunifer non corroding brake lines-like these

http://www.fedhillusa.com/pages/709976/index.htm

thanks in advance for any help

Alont

Re: Rigid brake lies
Friday, July 15, 2005 9:12 PM
Good stuff but over priced, and harder to work with. Any DOT approved brake line is plenty good enough (unless you have seriously upgraded brakes).

You'll need cutters*, benders**, and a double-flare tool***. And plenty of time an patience.

* If you're very careful you can use a hacksaw and a file instead of real cutters.
** If you're very careful you can bend this stuff with your hands, I HIGHLY recommend benders though.
*** This is absolutely, without a doubt, essential. Some places let you rent them. I bought a good setup for $65. Be incredibly careful not to break the tool, follow directions. And practice doing more than one joint before you do the real thing, it's easy to muff up.

Most braking stuff on domestic cars is the same (thread size, line sizes). It's all standard one way or another (only like 3 sizes DOT approved, so not much choice). Always be very careful.

If you have a friend who's done it before, ask him. Good luck!

Saturday, July 16, 2005 5:42 AM
Hi C.T.S

thanks for the fast response and advice, even though I titled it "LIES" and not lines--too late in the evening!

I have discovered that two of the master cylinder/abs connections are 10 x 1 MM and the other two appear to be 12 x 1.75 MM.

I can see this will be a longer job than anticipated so the advice about taking my time is well noted.

Good time today to grovel in the heat

cheers

Alont
Saturday, July 16, 2005 9:14 AM
Do you really need to replace the entire line or is it just a rotted section? You can pick up sections of tube at your local parts store for pretty cheap. All you need to do is flare the end of the tube you cut, and use a union.

Saturday, July 16, 2005 7:47 PM
Hi all

Yep had to be all James, good thought though.

after downloading various Metric charts and long searches I finally phoned a different dealer.

There I discovered that the FUEL pipe I had enquired about earlier and was $160 + taxes was actually the fuel feed and return plus the two rigid brake lines all the way from front to back and another tube which I believe at the moment goes to the charcoal filter (not SURE about that) plus the plastic securing clips. Anyway I went for this ready made assy and I brought it home.

Part # is 22566033 PIPE ASM-031630 and the price was in Canadian Dollars

The two front lines I will make up, I could find them at parts stores but not lines long enough to go front to back.

Fuel and brake lines needed replacement, this was the saga!

I drove to a local town and stopped in the car park because I could smell gas, opened my door with the engine running and saw a drip of fuel on the feed pipe under the rear LH door.

The drive straight away back home was exciting and I did make it, but certainly not recommended!

I did not have to stop, luckily, as I think I would have abandoned the car.
I hauled out my car ramps and drove the rear wheels up and disconnected the fuel filter from the lines, No fuel came out of the tank, so I screwed a blank in the outlet of the filter and clipped it back on.The car was now immobile but safe.
When I moved the lines to inspect the fuel leak, a brake line started weeping so I guess at 12 years old it's time for replacement. Too much salt on the winter roads.

I came happily out of the dealers with the new assembly, you can imagine how long it is, which had to fit in a 4door Cav for the one hour drive back from Ottawa.
I then had to open various doors and windows, one end started out the RH rear door with the other end out the RF window. Finally it all JUST squeezed in and all the doors closed.

Tomorrow I will attempt the removal/refitting--taking my time and maybe a few photos.

thanks again

Alont
Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:55 PM
I've got a 92 Bonneville that had a brake line rust straight through. Being in Michigan I know what the salt will do to a car. My J came from down south. I didn't believe how little rust was on it. You use assume that everything on the bottom of a car rusts, cause it does up here.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search