i want new struts, but i dont want a low car - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
i want new struts, but i dont want a low car
Friday, July 15, 2005 6:24 PM
i doubt this question has ever been asked before.... im looking for a good ride, good, tight handling on turns.... a good suspension for spirited, performance driving (sportscar style ). I've pretty much made up my mind on d-spec struts... but what springs can i use? i drive alot in vermont, and my body kit scrapes going up the driveway. If my car was lowered.... i would rip something off. Would stock springs with d-specs give a good ride? or would i NEED to lower the car? or, are there any stock-height, performance springs? thanks.

Re: i want new struts, but i dont want a low car
Friday, July 15, 2005 6:30 PM
you could probably use the stock springs

Friday, July 15, 2005 6:37 PM
would i still get a good, stiff ride with not alot of body roll with the stock springs?

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:12 PM
well heres how i always think about springs and shocks. shocks control how hard you it. springs control how much you hit. so the struts would give you a stiffer ride. but the springs would still keep you a little soft. body roll is only gonna be helped with sway bars and strut bars.

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:29 PM
It's not going to handle as well as it COULD, but thats not to say it wont handle better than stock. Get some sway-bars/strut-bars/braces etc to stiffen it up if you dont like as much as you thought you would before the struts.

Friday, July 15, 2005 11:56 PM
rob wrote:i doubt this question has ever been asked before.... im looking for a good ride, good, tight handling on turns.... a good suspension for spirited, performance driving (sportscar style ). I've pretty much made up my mind on d-spec struts... but what springs can i use? i drive alot in vermont, and my body kit scrapes going up the driveway. If my car was lowered.... i would rip something off. Would stock springs with d-specs give a good ride? or would i NEED to lower the car? or, are there any stock-height, performance springs? thanks.
ground control coilovers/konis order the GC's with custom rates like 220f 175r with 10"rear spring and a 8"front then you would have a stiffer suspension and you can set the ride hight the way you want it!

see ya!

Saturday, July 16, 2005 12:29 AM
novaracer wrote:
rob wrote:i doubt this question has ever been asked before.... im looking for a good ride, good, tight handling on turns.... a good suspension for spirited, performance driving (sportscar style ). I've pretty much made up my mind on d-spec struts... but what springs can i use? i drive alot in vermont, and my body kit scrapes going up the driveway. If my car was lowered.... i would rip something off. Would stock springs with d-specs give a good ride? or would i NEED to lower the car? or, are there any stock-height, performance springs? thanks.
ground control coilovers/konis order the GC's with custom rates like 220f 175r with 10"rear spring and a 8"front then you would have a stiffer suspension and you can set the ride hight the way you want it!

He's pretty much saying he doesn't want to lower his car at all...

Listen Rob, if you put aftermarket shocks on your stock springs, you'll be all good. You have to understand that aftermarket shocks/struts have more room to absorb more pressure than stock shocks/struts, so that is a plus. You'll have a stiffer ride. If you choose to stay that way, that's good.

Now from my point of view...I have the same car and the same kit as you. I have sportlines (1.7 front, 2.3 rear) and KYB AGX's to support them. Honestly, unless there are certain areas like a high driveway your going in, you don't need to worry. There are a handful of spots that I can't enter and I know this. If I think I can make it I just go at an angle and I'm fine. Even if I scrape, it's at the very bottom of the kit and you can't even see it....that's actually how they engineered it. If you look at it, you notice how it goes upwards as you look more towards the front of your car.

If you are worried about scraping if your lowered...don't be. I'd suggest a MILD drop. Get the Eibach Pro-kit (1.4 inch drop). It will give you a nice ride and get rid of that god awful wheel gap. That's my opinion being from someone who has the same kit & car as you. Good luck with your decision.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, July 16, 2005 12:22 PM
But if he is already scraping and he isn't even lowered, I would say the Pro-Kit would not be a good idea. I scrape my factory bumper with my pro-kit as well as my exhaust. I would say start with new struts and get a rear sway bar and see if that is close enough to what you are looking for. Just a rear sway bar will make a huge improvement in how your car handles. If you are looking to change springs, I wouldn't go more aggresive than the Pro-Kit or look for the set that is right around 1" drop (Tien?). I can't remember who makes it, but I think there is a 1-1.2" set out there.

Saturday, July 16, 2005 1:31 PM
Jackass wrote:But if he is already scraping and he isn't even lowered, I would say the Pro-Kit would not be a good idea. I scrape my factory bumper with my pro-kit as well as my exhaust. I would say start with new struts and get a rear sway bar and see if that is close enough to what you are looking for. Just a rear sway bar will make a huge improvement in how your car handles. If you are looking to change springs, I wouldn't go more aggresive than the Pro-Kit or look for the set that is right around 1" drop (Tien?). I can't remember who makes it, but I think there is a 1-1.2" set out there.

If you read what he wrote, he said that he scrapes when entering his driveway. Most driveways are made at a higher level than your street so yes, I can see him having trouble now and even after if he decided to drop his car.

Driving on the local streets and dealing with potholes is no problem. I have Sportlines on, KYB Agxs supporting them & 17s on my car (215/45R17 tires), when I hit an average bump, my tire doesn't rub the wheel well. It really all comes down to what shocks/struts you have and how strong they are adjusted. Put them to your liking and you should have no problems.

Like I said before, I have the same car & the same kit, you should be fine with the Pro-Kit.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, July 16, 2005 3:40 PM
i think ill get the eibachs and the d-specs... and if it really scrapes to the point that its damaging my exhaust and my kit, ill just go back to stock springs. thanks for the input guys.

Saturday, July 16, 2005 5:49 PM
NJs Honda Killa wrote:
novaracer wrote:

He's pretty much saying he doesn't want to lower his car at all...

Listen Rob, if you put aftermarket shocks on your stock springs, you'll be all good. You have to understand that aftermarket shocks/struts have more room to absorb more pressure than stock shocks/struts, so that is a plus. You'll have a stiffer ride. If you choose to stay that way, that's good.

Now from my point of view...I have the same car and the same kit as you. I have sportlines (1.7 front, 2.3 rear) and KYB AGX's to support them. Honestly, unless there are certain areas like a high driveway your going in, you don't need to worry. There are a handful of spots that I can't enter and I know this. If I think I can make it I just go at an angle and I'm fine. Even if I scrape, it's at the very bottom of the kit and you can't even see it....that's actually how they engineered it. If you look at it, you notice how it goes upwards as you look more towards the front of your car.

If you are worried about scraping if your lowered...don't be. I'd suggest a MILD drop. Get the Eibach Pro-kit (1.4 inch drop). It will give you a nice ride and get rid of that god awful wheel gap. That's my opinion being from someone who has the same kit & car as you. Good luck with your decision.
reread what i posted i said he can set the ride height he wants!

see ya!

Saturday, July 16, 2005 9:00 PM
i think suspesion tech would be perfect for him..its only a 1 inch drop and would provide the handling he is looking for

96 cavi'/WI j's
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search