Broke my brakes - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Broke my brakes
Monday, July 11, 2005 11:15 AM
I dunno how the hell this happened last week, but i'm guessin it was cuz of a panic stop, just before. But anyways, I was on my way to pick up a friend. Coming to a stop sign, i noticed my brake pedal traveled almost all the way to floor before anything happened. Pretty dam scary. There was also brake fluid all over the drivers side rear wheel. I kept the car home for a few days and finally pulled the wheel off, after hoping somehow it was just a loose brake line. Turns out one of the rubber seals on the wheel cylinder failed, tore, ripped whatever you want to call it. Well I just went to checker to pick up a rebuild kit, gonna take car of that later, once that fire ball in the sky goes down. Anyone else have this happen?

Re: Broke my brakes
Monday, July 11, 2005 12:00 PM
What is a "wheel cylinder"?

Do you mean the caliper piston boot tore? That doesn't hold anything, it's just a dust boot. I'm taking a guess that you blew the piston seal, not terribly likely, but possible.

I have once blew a brake hose, it was corroded to all heck, and the power-stop did it in.

Monday, July 11, 2005 12:05 PM
in the repair manual it says wheel cylinder......i was kinda confused too....But i'm pretty sure we're talkin about the same part.....the lil cylinder in the drum that pushes the pads into drum. Well yeah, that lil rubber boot tore
Monday, July 11, 2005 1:04 PM
the calipers are in the front

drum brakes in the rear , the rear wheel cylinder is makes the rear brakes work from the brake pedal

going buy your user name , your cav is a 98 , and while its not a common occurance , it does happen with rubber parts , they dry out get brittle and tear

its not really a big deal to fix , make sure you clean everything up , and make sure you adjust the rear brakes , and also check the other side , you can usually take a small dull pick and slide it inbetween the bust boot , and the pin thats in the middle and open it some to see if the inner seal is leaking

also if your rear brakes get to far out of adjustment (its alot less frequent of a problem) if the shoes are wore down alot , and the drums have been turned 1 time to many and are over the spec for max innder diameter , a real quick stab on the brake pedal can over force the rear brakes and cause the wheel cylinder to pop also , this is more common with worn and outta spec parts , and major neglect

Monday, July 11, 2005 1:18 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM cav sedan™)]the calipers are in the front

drum brakes in the rear , the rear wheel cylinder is makes the rear brakes work from the brake pedal

going buy your user name , your cav is a 98 , and while its not a common occurance , it does happen with rubber parts , they dry out get brittle and tear

its not really a big deal to fix , make sure you clean everything up , and make sure you adjust the rear brakes , and also check the other side , you can usually take a small dull pick and slide it inbetween the bust boot , and the pin thats in the middle and open it some to see if the inner seal is leaking

also if your rear brakes get to far out of adjustment (its alot less frequent of a problem) if the shoes are wore down alot , and the drums have been turned 1 time to many and are over the spec for max innder diameter , a real quick stab on the brake pedal can over force the rear brakes and cause the wheel cylinder to pop also , this is more common with worn and outta spec parts , and major neglect

You know what, i think the adjustment thing might be it. I say about a year after i got the car i was always having problems with the parking brake not really grabbing on the drivers side. I replaced the shoes back in... march, adjusted them, then realized i needed to adjust them again, but didn't quite get around to it. That'll be top proirity this time. Thanks for the info

BradSk88 ! wrote:Because marriage is a union between a man and a woman not a man and a car.

After all, it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and 2.4L16VDOHC

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:26 PM
i wouldn't even waste my time with a rebuild kit on a wheel cylinder. it's just easier to go buy a new one for ~$15

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:59 PM
lol i paid 4 dollars a piece new from autozone

Its not how fast your car goes....its how much nerve the driver has to push it that fast.
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:29 PM
yup its called a wheel cylinder. and you should replace both at the same time. you
should only re-build if you can no longer get new ones. everyones right they're prob.
no more then $15.00 each. the reason i say both is because when you replace one the hydrolic presure it takes to move the new one is less then the old one so you have about a 2 out of 3 chance you'll blow the otherside within a few weeks. also i didnt see anyone else mention this if i missed it sorry but you NEED to replace your brake shoes too. as soon as they get covered in brake fluid they're no good they tend to rip apart when you hit your brakes.

to recap yess its a whhel cylinder. you really should replace both. and you NEED to replace your brake shoes too. any other questions feel free to ask. hope this helps and good luck.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:37 PM
I'm sorry. I thought somewhere in the original post you said it was the front wheel. What I get for doing this late at night.

Well everyone else has the problem covered now. JDM, Brown and Jackalope are all right. Just get a new one. The rebuild will cost you nearly as much (new is ~$15 anyway). You'll never be as sure, as compared to new. And it's probably faster/easier anyway.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:04 PM
its all good CTS kinda figured it was just a brain fart.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search