Ideal height for J-Body - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ideal height for J-Body
Monday, July 11, 2005 3:32 PM
Im still looking into lowering my car and i was looking at the new article in this months Sport Compact Car. It talks about ideal lowering height and how it is bad to lower a car too much. I want to lower my 96 Z24 for not only looks but for handling purposes. Anyone done any reasearch into finding out what the ideal height for our cars is, or what spring to acheive this. Thanks in advance

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan

Re: Ideal height for J-Body
Monday, July 11, 2005 3:37 PM
just as a general idea i've always been told that 1.5" is probably ideal

"Official Jewish J-Body"
Monday, July 11, 2005 4:22 PM
You don't want to lower the height past 1.5" for perfomance/handling purposes. Eibach Pro-Kit will take you down 1.4" These should be used in conjunction with a strut that can handle stiffer and lower springs. AGX's are an inexpensive, well proven choice.

Monday, July 11, 2005 4:23 PM
And the reason not to lower past 1.5" is that the A arms will start pointing up (which is not good for handling). The ideal position of the A arms is parallel to the ground.

Monday, July 11, 2005 4:30 PM
It all depends on what kind of setup you go for. if you go for a package like the RK Sport coilover kit, you could go 2-2.5 inches. Now here's a little trick for you, which i actully told somebody else on this site about. What you do is, when using a coilover setup, is take 4 zipties and atach them to the shaft of your shock( that would be the part that the piston is atached to). slid it all the way down, and go for a drive, weather its actually doing the speedlimit or driving hard. Then check the possition of the ziptie. If its touching the bumpstop, you need to raise your car. keep doing this untill you reach an aceptible level. But remember, swaybars definetly help to, so invest in a good set. Part of this I stole from Sport Compact Car Magazine, part I learned from time spent on a racing team in high school, but follow my advice and your car should handle like its on rails.
Monday, July 11, 2005 5:03 PM
thx....the eibach should be a decent choice....i work at advance auto parts so i get employee discount

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Monday, July 11, 2005 6:25 PM
wow, seth wilcox great idea

"Official Jewish J-Body"
Monday, July 11, 2005 8:13 PM
God forbid anyone should read the FAQ anymore....

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:24 PM
C.T.S wrote:God forbid anyone should read the FAQ anymore....

true....

on these cars, or any car, the ideal height is where the axles are parrallel with the arms and the ground which is around 1.3 - 1.5 inches.

anything more, the car is in a squat and not as good handling wise.

for those who wanna be more technical, 1.5 inches is also when your roll center rests in a decent range, and the car should also have positive rake as well.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:20 PM
Boardorgohome wrote:thx....the eibach should be a decent choice....i work at advance auto parts so i get employee discount

yes, another advance employee

back on topic - i had Pro-kits/AGX's on my car, and they worked great. so, that's what i would recommend

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 6:33 PM
Seth Wilcox wrote:It all depends on what kind of setup you go for. if you go for a package like the RK Sport coilover kit, you could go 2-2.5 inches. Now here's a little trick for you, which i actully told somebody else on this site about. What you do is, when using a coilover setup, is take 4 zipties and atach them to the shaft of your shock( that would be the part that the piston is atached to). slid it all the way down, and go for a drive, weather its actually doing the speedlimit or driving hard. Then check the possition of the ziptie. If its touching the bumpstop, you need to raise your car. keep doing this untill you reach an aceptible level. But remember, swaybars definetly help to, so invest in a good set. Part of this I stole from Sport Compact Car Magazine, part I learned from time spent on a racing team in high school, but follow my advice and your car should handle like its on rails.

Great info friend. I have heard something similar but using a soft marker.

And about parallel A-arms, maybe some tricky math can give us how much the car will be dropped until A-arms rest is parallel position. Of course experience can give us the last word.

Regards,

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 7:16 AM
Eliot wrote:
Seth Wilcox wrote:It all depends on what kind of setup you go for. if you go for a package like the RK Sport coilover kit, you could go 2-2.5 inches. Now here's a little trick for you, which i actully told somebody else on this site about. What you do is, when using a coilover setup, is take 4 zipties and atach them to the shaft of your shock( that would be the part that the piston is atached to). slid it all the way down, and go for a drive, weather its actually doing the speedlimit or driving hard. Then check the possition of the ziptie. If its touching the bumpstop, you need to raise your car. keep doing this untill you reach an aceptible level. But remember, swaybars definetly help to, so invest in a good set. Part of this I stole from Sport Compact Car Magazine, part I learned from time spent on a racing team in high school, but follow my advice and your car should handle like its on rails.

Great info friend. I have heard something similar but using a soft marker.

And about parallel A-arms, maybe some tricky math can give us how much the car will be dropped until A-arms rest is parallel position. Of course experience can give us the last word.

Regards,

i can post the thing on cg and roll centers i used a while back if ya want or need.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 7:32 AM
yes event please post it! i would like to know.

see ya!

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:54 AM
that would be awesome!

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:02 AM
i'm on D-specs and Prokit

i'd like to see that info from EVENT as well

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search