performance VS style....check this out! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
performance VS style....check this out!
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:09 PM
I've got 2 directions plotted out for my car, the first low riding euro inspired cruiser, the other a performance tuned inspiring ride.....the missing link is suspension, ideally i'd like to build a car that gets attention but compromises nothing. The car will be my statement to anyone who sees it, i like the euro styled cars i've seen, sleek clean and aggressive looking, no big wings, no weird carbon peices hanging all over the car, just clean lines and low looks.

Where the VS comes in, I really want to run air ride on my car, i know that some performance setups can benifit from air ride if its setup right, but i dont know how the J's work with air, does the ride get mushy? can i stiffen it up without making the car look like bigfoot?

the place i live has lots of things like potholes, dips, hills i would prefer to be able to lift my car so i dont drag the bumpers off, i'm also currently delivering pizzas( pays better than most jobs around here ) so the ability to get the car at ride height or above is a HUGE advantage.

Coil overs will limit me to a certain height if i drop it 2 inches and need to go over a speed bump i could rip my skirts off.

so what i'm tossing between is can i run airride and still have a sporty handling car or do i have to compromise massively in my vision and run coils?

thanks in advance

J~

Re: performance VS style....check this out!
Monday, June 06, 2005 4:22 PM
nobody has any answers for this one? i would of thought at least one person had some thoughts.

J~
Monday, June 06, 2005 5:04 PM
I saw a show on Speed channel once that was made by one of the airbag companies. They had a bunch of cars being autocrossed by professional drivers and then asked their opinions on how the car handled. Of course they all said it handled quite well.

I think if you go airride and upgrade your swaybars and put strut bars on the car, it should handle to your needs unless your trying to do some sort of autocross or road racing.

Monday, June 06, 2005 5:50 PM
My origanal intent was to build a car that looked as good on main street around 10 at night as it did doing laps around a track, BUT i got a buddy with 2 wrecked talons, one has good engine and driveline parts so i think i'm gonna make the cavy a nice handling cruise kind of car and leave the all out track stuff to the talon, my old talon chassis was a ton of fun to throw around with the new turbo motor it'll have the power to back it up now.

J~
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 6:33 AM
go with the Tein super streets.. i think that they are ride height and dampeming adjustable. if there are out...

or

d-specs/ koni yellow with coilovers (not sure on what brands would be best)

those 2 set ups will give you show and performance adjustability

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 6:47 AM
I always had a hard time seeing how air rides could out perform....

If you think about it, the whole idea of a shock is to resist movement in either direction to shallow out the bounces of your springs so your car returns to a normal condition without rebounding several times. With air ride I'd think the only direction of movement it would be able to resist would be down because your car would be trying to further compress the air, but up it's all game so you're getting half the rebound absorbtion. In other words, if you hit a bump in a turn it would throw your car back up and cause you to lose traction more so than a standard strut or shock would.

I mean this is all theory, I did no research and have never even been in an air ride car so by all means prove me wrong (key word prove, i hate it when people tell you that you don't know what you're talking about and then don't even know themselves). Just trying to sort this whole physics thing out.
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 8:07 AM
i fit perfectly in this. i had coils and now have air. handing is not as good as coils but it is definitly good. im still able to hit corners at a decent speed and it handles good. also you can lower the one side and cut into the corner w/ the bags. i have the easystreet kit that has 9 way adjustable damping to set the stiffness, so you can still have it slammed and have a stiff ride or your can have it slammed and have it soft. my air ride better than my coils and its not bouncy or stiff at all. you just have to find the right setting. now granted i did lose a little in the cornering department when i went w/ bags. i know subaru has a wrx that rallys on bags. my buddy is a huge wrx guy and he was telling me about it. i can get more details of that from him if you want.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 4:22 PM
Well my car used to ride good.

Now my easystreet struts are blown. So it bounces like crazzy up front. When I hit bumps it sounds like my front end is going to fall out from under the car. I hate it now because its hard to listen to a good CD without it skipping.
Now my rear setup that I designed myself is in perfect working order and rides great.

It sways to much to take turns supper fast. But I also have NO sway bars, no strut braces, ect. So Im pretty sure those will help you out alot in the corners.

The company that did the auto cross thing on air ride vehicals was Air ride tech.
Those struts offer rebound and damping control which helps out in the quick rebound problems like we get with easystreet.

Alot more time is put into each design which reflects in the price that you will pay to get ART products.

Im getting real sick of my cars ride and will soon be putting the Goldline springs on. Hopefully they will ride as good as my old Teins did.

I am all that is man

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 7:45 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]i fit perfectly in this. i had coils and now have air. handing is not as good as coils but it is definitly good. im still able to hit corners at a decent speed and it handles good. also you can lower the one side and cut into the corner w/ the bags. i have the easystreet kit that has 9 way adjustable damping to set the stiffness, so you can still have it slammed and have a stiff ride or your can have it slammed and have it soft. my air ride better than my coils and its not bouncy or stiff at all. you just have to find the right setting. now granted i did lose a little in the cornering department when i went w/ bags. i know subaru has a wrx that rallys on bags. my buddy is a huge wrx guy and he was telling me about it. i can get more details of that from him if you want.

I'd be interested in those personally... I'm going to have to read up more on these things, sounds interesting.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search