alignment question - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
alignment question
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 4:15 PM
I was wondering if you need/should get an alignment after you install a sway bar, or polyurathene bushings. I don't think you would have to, but I just wanted to double check with some other people.

The Road goes ever on and on.........

Re: alignment question
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 4:23 PM
No, you shouldn't.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 3:59 PM
Most of them time no, but there are few exceptions.

My alignment was perfect before I installed my control arm bushings. After I finished, I took it just because I can do it for free at my work. Always my bad luck, everything was ok but the castor, which was off some, not alot.. It might have been because I removed the strut to steering knuckle though.

The next weekend, I installed my front sway-bar. I asked another tech if he thought I should do another alignment. I said most likely NO. But a month later and maybe 1000 miles, my front tires are starting to wear badly on the outside edges. Which usually means alignment is off. Let me add though, my tires are pretty worn as it is, but obviously more on the outside edges now.

I'm going to get LS sport rims & tires this weekend, so I plan on waiting to do the alignment till after I put the rims & tires on. Then I'll see if dropping the sub-frame, to install the sway-bar messed up my alignment.
Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:12 PM
Xian, caster isn't adjustable, so there is nothing you could do about that. Removing the strut at the steering nuckle can throw your camber off though. Dropping the subframe can mess up your alignment though if you don't get it aligned back up exactly as it was before.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:13 PM
And your outside egde of the tire may have been wearing more because you were pushing the tires harder with the swaybar on there.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:43 PM
Ahh. I thought it was camber that wasn't adjustable. I always get those two mixed up all the time; even back in steering & suspension class.

That makes good sense, I probably am pushing them alot harder now.
Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:45 PM
BTW. I like the new sig. Definetly better than the older one. Is that at G'ville speedway?
Thursday, June 02, 2005 5:24 PM
Yeah, its at Gainesville. I got a lot of comments about my last sig, but I needed a change. A bunch of guys are running out at the road course this Saturday. Its free to watch, you should stop by sometime.

Friday, June 03, 2005 9:35 AM
I will, what time does it start? I work till 1:30PM, so after then I will come.

I was gonna try to see if you were at Godfathers last night, but the wife had the car late, and I couldn't. It was thursdays at 10pm?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search