Blown rear strut mount, happen to you? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Blown rear strut mount, happen to you?
Friday, May 27, 2005 8:37 PM
Yeah so I'm driving back home when I hit a small bump and my left rear corner of the car starts making a "thunk" sound. It continued the sound whenever the road was uneven. My friend noticed the noise over the loudness of the stereo/subs and we pulled over.
I open the trunk and the rear shock is completely through the mount and into the trunk

I was preturbed but not too pissed as I still had my stock suspension awaiting the next winter at home. Low miles on the stock stuff so I borrowed the rear mount from the stocker till I get a new one for the coilovers. Mounts on the coilovers were new so what gives? (RK Prostreets/03 Fire). I thought I was pretty lucky that the shock shaft was not bent after replacing the mount.

How many people have had this happen with coilovers?

Are there any other mounts that could be "customized" to work with our cars?

Thanks

Re: Blown rear strut mount, happen to you?
Friday, May 27, 2005 8:47 PM
silver lightning wrote:Yeah so I'm driving back home when I hit a small bump and my left rear corner of the car starts making a "thunk" sound. It continued the sound whenever the road was uneven. My friend noticed the noise over the loudness of the stereo/subs and we pulled over.
I open the trunk and the rear shock is completely through the mount and into the trunk

I was preturbed but not too pissed as I still had my stock suspension awaiting the next winter at home. Low miles on the stock stuff so I borrowed the rear mount from the stocker till I get a new one for the coilovers. Mounts on the coilovers were new so what gives? (RK Prostreets/03 Fire). I thought I was pretty lucky that the shock shaft was not bent after replacing the mount.

How many people have had this happen with coilovers?

Are there any other mounts that could be "customized" to work with our cars?

Thanks

heldmotorsports.com or helmmotorsports.com.... i believe held will do custom solid rear mounts...

its not the coilovers per say, i;ve had them since the first set was released, and still on the same mounts.

the rear mounts are merely rubberized in there, so over time they will poke through...

but if you got the cash, or time, have em make you a set

Friday, May 27, 2005 8:59 PM
Thanks for the info Event, I had a look at the site and sent an e-mail about the cost of the mounts for the rear. I suspected that the stock mounts were not designed for the extra stress of coilovers but I thought that they would hold up for a while longer.
Friday, May 27, 2005 9:01 PM
honestly it sounds more like a faulty mount really... i deal with baltimore and dc roads, inner city stuff and havent had that prob.........yet

but i think, dont quote me, the mounts were in the 100-140 range...

but they are solid steel... was thinking about getting some made locally soon... well see.

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:05 PM
Not too bad a price but I assume it would affect the ride quality?

Thanks for all your help
Friday, May 27, 2005 9:47 PM
affect it in a more precision way, but thats about it

Monday, May 30, 2005 10:10 PM
i like the idea of solid mounts. can anyone explain them in detail and why they are not used stock? is it just the rubber is cheaper or is there a reason that stock is rubberized?

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Monday, May 30, 2005 10:28 PM
most people dont buy cars for performance, so the stock rubber is a more "absorbing" feature making the ride softer....

but thats the give and take in suspension performance vs luxury...

the softer something is, the worse it handles, but the smoother it rides...

the stiffer something is....within reason, the more precise it handles, and the more transfer of road noise vibes you will feel.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:21 AM
i had it happen to me on my prostreets, wasn't fun, and whats worse is that it was a mount i bought right from the GM parts counter, meanwhile, my Monroe wich i replaced at the same time is doing good......

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:04 AM
Happened to me also. I've got the prostreets and I was using Gabriel rear strut mounts and it blew through.

I have now bought a monroe rear mount but I haven't had the time to install it yet. So right now I'm riding on my bone stock suspension...its horrible!!!

Once you go performance suspension....you just can't go back to stock.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:25 AM
^ Agreed no return to stock

Wow seems like lots of people have had this happen, I'm definately gonna try to spring the cash for the solid mounts. Anyone damage their setup?

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 2:05 PM
a friend of min ehad it happen on his stock mounts with his teins , pretty much he chalks it up to the roads in MI

granted it shouldnt happen , but coil over put extra stress in the center of the mount , and springs (stock or drop) dont beat as hard on the center of the mount

the springs beat on the more solid part of the mount , and just the strut uses the center of the mount

coilovers beat on the center and center only , most of them anyway

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:59 PM
^^ that's me he was refering to (I assume)

mine happened due to a particularly weak mount, Flint roads (pot holes through three layers of asphault) and the strut itself pushing up through the center of the mount, the springs are on a seat that Tein designed to keep the pressure even

Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:34 AM
Me also, right rear. First new Gabriel I bought lasted about 18 months. Replaced with another Gabriel and eight months later still OK.
Thursday, June 02, 2005 1:58 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM cav sedan™)]a friend of min ehad it happen on his stock mounts with his teins , pretty much he chalks it up to the roads in MI

granted it shouldnt happen , but coil over put extra stress in the center of the mount , and springs (stock or drop) dont beat as hard on the center of the mount

the springs beat on the more solid part of the mount , and just the strut uses the center of the mount

coilovers beat on the center and center only , most of them anyway

only thing though...

on the rear with the prostreets, the spring is held by the mount, the strut shaft is the only pressure that connects to the center of the mount unlike some coilovers with top hats...

theres def a bit more stress going to the mount as a whole. but the center is set up more like stock springs

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search