help with struts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help with struts
Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:34 PM
whats up everyone!? im new to this forum, so dont bite. anyway, im lowering my car in a couple weeks, and ive already ordered my springs. i went with intrax as they were recommended to me. now i didnt realize that it is HIGHLY recommended to change from OE struts to aftermarket in lowering....i do now. so i was wondering if anyone can give me any advice in which struts to go with, im thinking koni,but which ones-red or yellow? or another brand? the springs are 1.7". any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks!!!

Re: help with struts
Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:41 PM
I suggest Koni Reds if you can find them but I heard Koni Yellows are replacing them. And some struts have warranty's voided if you go past 1.5 inch of lowering. Personally my stock struts are already blown so I dont care to put springs on them.

ClubCav Mod
Megan Racing Springs only $99.00 !!! GP Link
Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:44 PM
you'd probably be ok with kyb agx struts....the warranty only covers them to 1.5 inches, but i bet they'd hold a 1.7 fine, or tokiko d specs would work, i just don't like the konis because theyre a lot of stupid work to get them to fit

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Friday, May 27, 2005 8:35 PM
thanks for your imput, guys. is a 1.7 drop too much? i dont want it to sag too much, i mean i know it will, but will it look like $h!t? my tire to base is freaking huge, and a 1.7 will eliminate it , but i dont want to sacrifice having to buy struts every two years.

It's the car right?.....Chicks dig the car.
Friday, May 27, 2005 8:51 PM
intrax are known to sag from 1.6 down to 2 inches....

dont know about you all, but if i am gonna pay nearly 100$ or more per strut, i would atleast want a warranty just in case.... 1.7 is def past 1.5, not much, but then again all kyb products thats the limit.

d specs or yellows are the better choice and warranties.

my view.

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:40 PM
i just read that the yellows would handle a 1.7 nicely...but im kinda worried about the sag now. i know .3 isnt much of a sag, but i just dont want it looking like @ss!....you think itd be alright, or look stupid?

and what about bounciness? if i went with the yellows, even thought theyll be a sag, will there be much bounciness?

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:41 PM
sorry if this is stupid, but im learning!!!

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:46 PM
you should be more than fine....

the only time precision makes a difference is usually in warranty.... companies dont like to give free stuff for when people abuse it....

yellows will be more than fine.... and .3 inches, bit over a 1/4 inche.... not anything you will really even notice, unless you are EXTREMELY picky....

grab a ruler and look how large 1/4 inch is on it... from any distance farther than nose to the fender, no one will really know the difference.

yellows are ajustable so you control how much it bounces. it shouldnt, but i;ve seen some people put it as soft as can be on the worst coilovers (nothing you have to worry about) and it was almost like crap coilovers and stock struts....

but in your case, you will be fine.

Friday, May 27, 2005 10:41 PM
thank you everyone for your help!!...one more question... on koni's website they say that the struts/shocks will outlast the car. how true is this...you think if i bought them that theyd actually last THAT long!!?

Friday, May 27, 2005 10:43 PM
well some can... especially being adjustable and probably rebuildable, if you think about it... alot of cars dont really last... some get totaled, etc... but koni struts are pretty versatile... if you get bored and think that they arent stiff enough, you can send em in pay some cash and get em revalved normally.

so from what i have seen with most some do last longer than the car, but totally depending on how you run em.... or abuse em

Friday, May 27, 2005 11:04 PM
lol! thanks again!!!! but i lied, i have one more question (this is it i promise). know any sites that have them for good prices. i found them on 99pline.com for 172/159 f/b!!

anyone know if this website is reliable?

Friday, May 27, 2005 11:13 PM
id check with gravana tuning, high rev or any places thats listed in the FAQ at the top of the forum....

i can vouch for most of em on service.......well maybe not mantapart as of late, but gravana, high rev, etc...

Friday, May 27, 2005 11:17 PM
thank you again bro!!!!

Friday, May 27, 2005 11:29 PM
one of the sites off of there are still selling the reds...500 for the set. whats the difference? is it like twister said, the yellows are replacing the reds?

Friday, May 27, 2005 11:33 PM
yellows replaced the reds... reds are less ,but you also have to take them off the car to adjust em, yellows you can do em on the car... more convienient, but you pay more for the convienience...

well worth it if you will change or try new settings.

Friday, May 27, 2005 11:37 PM
thanks!! i actually just read that part about the reds having to be taken off, and i was coming back to post when i saw your response...thanks man

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search