Why No Front Sway Bar From Factory - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why No Front Sway Bar From Factory
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:17 PM
I have a 1998 Caviler CS 4 door 2200 with the 3 speed auto trans.I bought the car new in November 1997,so I know it wasn't removed by a former owner.It is a base model car.Why did it come without a front sway bar from the factory?Seems to me that the weight and wheel base of a 4 door would need the sway bar.I think it does.I nearly rolled it over on the interstate trying to avoid a wreck that was happening in front of me.

1998 Cavalier sedan base 2200 3 speed auto

Re: Why No Front Sway Bar From Factory
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:19 PM
Well you have a base model suspension, what did you expect?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:49 PM
there's hundreds of thousands of wrecked cavaliers in junk yards across north america.

im sure you can find one somewhere. and if you dont want to look... addco or eibach.

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:05 PM
Base models just don't. Like it was mentioned there cheap and easy to find wrecked Z's GTs and LS Sports.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:10 PM
2200 with a 3 speed. You have more worries than a swaybar.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:48 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:2200 with a 3 speed. You have more worries than a swaybar.

True.

I just thought maybe there was more to it than that.Thought maybe it was just a fluke.I been a mechanic for over 15 years,that's not counting my youth, and never seen a cavy without sway control.Hell,I've owned two 4 door 1985's,a 1992 RS,and this 4 door 1998 I bought back at the end of 1997.They all had them.As far as installing one.That's not a big deal.Junk yards here want close to $200 to pull one.I can get an aftermarket one or make my own for way less.Oh well,one day I might screw with when I am bored.Thanks fur da input.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:22 AM
i think i paid like $5 for one at the yard

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:23 AM
I have a 2000 4dr 220 cavalier with no front sway bar either!! But i bought the eibach anti roll kit. The front one is too big imo for a dd and some track use it Increases understeer. I sold it and am waiting for a ztype sway bar. Its stupid that a 4dr cavalier that's heavier does not come with one. Will all sway bars from 95+ cavaliers and sunfires fit my application guys?
Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:25 AM
-lowslowcav- wrote:I have a 2000 4dr 220 cavalier with no front sway bar either!! But i bought the eibach anti roll kit. The front one is too big imo for a dd and some track use it Increases understeer. I sold it and am waiting for a ztype sway bar. Its stupid that a 4dr cavalier that's heavier does not come with one. Will all sway bars from 95+ cavaliers and sunfires fit my application guys?

yes and some 4 doors came with them. the junk yard car i pulled mine from was a 4 door. there are like 3 different sizes though

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:35 AM
I've never seen a sedan w/o a bar. My '96 was as no-frills as could be (originally a rental car), and even it had a sway bar.
I have an extra laying around if anybody locally is looking.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

***BREAKING NEWS*** notec's steps to a brighter American future:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=36&i=58477&t=58099#58477

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:49 AM
I know that 96 and up sway bars will fit any year cavy from 96 up.There are 3 different ones,4 door,2 door,and z24.I'm not sure what the difference is but I would guess that the z24 would be the stiffest since it's the sportiest of all the cavys.

I don't have u pull it yards around here.They are all closed and you get what ever they bring you.This is why I haven't done the Neon rear disc conversion.The yards are asking $120 a side for the parts.$200 for a sway bar and hardware.It's just crazy high and the yards wonder why they have theft problems.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:09 PM
u can buy an addco or eibach for cheaper than that!!!! wow!

i have a 95 base model COUPE with a front sway..

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:48 PM
ya my base model 97 4 door sunfire came with one... but my girlfriends base model 01 2 door didnt... weird...

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:14 PM
OHV notec wrote:I've never seen a sedan w/o a bar. My '96 was as no-frills as could be (originally a rental car), and even it had a sway bar.
I have an extra laying around if anybody locally is looking.

neither have I. . . I've seen quite a few 2-doors without them, actually, I've seen a LOT of 2-doors without them.

Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:41 PM
My 99 sedan didn't come with one. My 04 sunfire has one however. I might yank that bitch out before I trade it in tho... lol.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 5:33 AM
My 02 4dr Sunfire didn't have one stock, I have a FE3 on there now.

From the Suspension FAQ
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=50260&t=50260

13) SWAYBAR/TIEBAR/SUBFRAME/BUSHING CHOICES

now if you dont know what these do, please check out the link to John Lenkos or read the above paragraphs.

now that you know WHAT they are and WHAT they do, here are the choices so far.

Swaybar choices

FRONT

-18mm stock FE1 bar (stock on 95-99)*
-22mm stock FE2 bar (stock on 2000-2002)*
-24mm stock FE3 bar (stock on 2003-2004)*
-25.4mm addco bar
-25.4mm eibach bar (-sold in combo with their 22mm rear)
-26mm mantapart.com bar
local place = custom bar

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search