Full suspension - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Full suspension
Sunday, February 15, 2009 12:46 AM
I am looking in to lowering my cavi -1.8" with a tein lowering kit (any objections simple and i dont hsve to order 10k different parts)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-05-CHEVROLET-Cavalier-TEIN-SS-P-Coilover-Suspension_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a15Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhash Zitem380066197967QQitemZ380066197967QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

(check out link for what kit contains)

says it is copmpletly adjustable
extra camber adjustment, adjustable dampening/rebound, coil over so height adjustment

since i am looking in to lowering the car is there anything important i may neex extra to the kit to help stiffen up the ride a bit?

strut bars, motor mount stiffing (rksport upper and lower mount's i understand there will be more vibration through the car with stiffer mount), stiffer roll bar, roll bar in the rear?????

what are your thoughts

for those of you wondering it is a 97 z24 and is a daily driver

Re: Full suspension
Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:00 AM
Strut bars should be sufficient... but given the roads out in the Spokane area (at least the ones I've been on), I had issues with ProKits, so not sure how Tein SS will like them.

Honestly, I haven't noticed increased vibes with Tein SS on my Sunfire, but its only driven once a week now.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 12:50 PM
I thought the Tein SS setup was cheaper than that.

Trevor Mullins wrote:

kind of like a screwed up kids sing along

pete the anal monkey lived in my bum..............

best epiosode of barney ever lol

Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:53 PM
its like a hundred bucks less anywhere else...
Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:52 PM
Tinkles wrote:I thought the Tein SS setup was cheaper than that.

Tein had 2 or 3 price increases in 08, so it's higher than most people think now....

BUT, I have the SS kit for less, with FREE SHIPPING as well. So that eBay link isn't much of a deal.

www.TaillightTinting.com #1 SOURCE FOR VHT NITE SHADES
www.aPlusPerformance.com BACK ONLINE SOMETIME SOON!
PHONE 763-682-9945

Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:52 PM
Monday, February 16, 2009 12:05 AM
that was the first link i found so i posted it up yeah i know i can get it cheaper
i was just asking what else yall think i should add to "button up" the suspension and what you thought about tein

Currently i am running a set of 205/60/15's (205/55-16 is .4" taller than the current tires) so if i drop the car roughly an 1" ill be sitting roughly 1.4"-1.5" lower than stock where i want the car (1.8" drop would technically lower the car 2.2"-2.3" way lower than i am wanting to go as i have to some times go off road) I need a truck....

what size sway bars do you suggest for the front and rear?

the roads in spokane Suck Yes...pot holes. "bumps" steep inclines in to parking lots

I go in to spokane 1-2 times in a 4 month period i avoide the city as much as possible.

Monday, February 16, 2009 5:45 AM
jgilk1 wrote:

Currently i am running a set of 205/60/15's (205/55-16 is .4" taller than the current tires) so if i drop the car roughly an 1" ill be sitting roughly 1.4"-1.5" lower than stock where i want the car (1.8" drop would technically lower the car 2.2"-2.3" way lower than i am wanting to go as i have to some times go off road)

That doesn't make any sense at all. If you have a 205/60/15 now and its supposed to have a 205/55/16, the current 60 series is .4" bigger (not the 55 series). And since that's total side its split by the top and bottom. So your car is .2" HIGHER off the ground and always will be, suspension will not effect that, but your wheel gap is .2" less then it should be. So no a 1.8" drop will not technically lower it 2.2"-2.3". You would have MORE ground clearance then stock sized tires lowered 1.8", more ground clearance and less wheel gap.

Monday, February 16, 2009 10:31 AM
Actually, they are pretty close to the same, .2" diameter difference, where the 60 series is shorter:

http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc

Monday, February 16, 2009 2:28 PM
my measurement with both tires completly filled (to rating) is about half an inch shorter on the 205/60-15'S i wasnt goint off a tire calculator i was going off a tape measure the 55 are @ about 80% wear and the 55 are @ about 45%-50% wear

What would yall suggest as a lower profile in a 16" tire? half an inch shorter would be great

would a 205/50-16 work it looks like

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
205/55-16 4.4in 12.4in 24.9in 78.2in 811 0.0%
205/50-16 4.0in 12.0in 24.1in 75.6in 838 -3.2%

reduction in tire size will give better acceleration correct?

if the car is limited to 108-109 mph ill just buy shorter tires and increase the acceleration

Monday, February 16, 2009 3:31 PM
Kardain wrote:Actually, they are pretty close to the same, .2" diameter difference, where the 60 series is shorter:

http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc

your right, Iread it wrong and thought both were 16's but either way the point of my post is the same. a bigger tire is not going to lower your car more.

Monday, February 16, 2009 3:34 PM
jgilk1 wrote:

reduction in tire size will give better acceleration correct?

if the car is limited to 108-109 mph ill just buy shorter tires and increase the acceleration

In theory yes you get better acceleration, all it really does is slightly change the overall gearing so you would accelerate faster (your not gonna feel a difference) with a lower top speed, your odometer will add miles faster then it should and your speed will be wrong.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:37 PM
i know the odometer reading will be off with the smaller tires (ie it will clock more miles with the smaller tires)
and use more fuel (more rpm to turn the tires @ the same speed as the stock...yeah i know)

ok back on topic looking @ the tein ss kit is there any way to put more adjustment in the rear coil overs? ( @ full extension they are -1.1" lower than stock)

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:34 PM
If you are looking at retaining stock height, I'd get d-specs and use your stock springs.... otherwise, you are going to have some kind of drop with performance suspension.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:47 PM
i thought the reason for the coil overs was so you could adjust ride height yes...

is there any way to combat the -1.1 inch in the rear some other spring kit.

i want to be able to lower the vehicle 1.3-1.8 inches durring the summer and stock (or a little lower than stock) in the winter and adjustable dampening

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:45 PM
Quote:

i thought the reason for the coil overs was so you could adjust ride height yes.../quote]

Correct.

Quote:

is there any way to combat the -1.1 inch in the rear some other spring kit.

1.1" drop is acceptable for winter given how high the rear sits on stock suspension (slight positive rake setup)

Friday, February 20, 2009 12:54 PM
hey dude i have a k-brace for sale if you are interested. Its brand new, i was just to lazy to install it and now my car is just strictly for shows. PM me and i will get you more info.
Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:28 PM
I have a 2000 Z24 with Tein SS coilovers, RK Sport upper & lower engine mounts, Turbo Tech K-brace, GAGT Aluminum a-arms with ES poly bushings & Aluminum spindles with 11.25" front brakes, Addco 26mm f/r sway bars, Vibrant f/r tower braces, full length frame connectors, ES poly f/r trans mounts, Neon rear disc brakes and 18x7.5 wheels with Kumho Ecsta 225x40x18 tires. My crare drives,handles and brakes great, I love it and it will only get better when my new turbo engine and OBX LSD are installed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search