Advice on buynig brakes. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Advice on buynig brakes.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:27 PM
Hello all. This is the situation.

My brakes are starting to get wobbly and i'm currently on 151k (bought from dealership at 81k) and havent done a thing to my brakes yet. I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade. I have an sc'd eco and would feel safer with some better braking capabilities.

My budget isn't really huge for brakes, Maybe, 600$ (not including labour). Could be flexible if you guys can convince me that i need to spend more.. What would you guys suggest?

Also is the investment for swapaed disc brakes on the rear worth the cost? (most swaps i see are near $1000)

Re: Advice on buynig brakes.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:08 PM
get lucky and find a set of Neon/intrepid/Daytona rear dics and put them on. that's what I'm doing.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:52 PM
i just spent $250 on the cryo treated hawk rotors and hps pads. hell of a deal if you ask me. it was a special jason at A+ was running. going to try them instead of the regulars this season. and PLEASE, i mean PLEASE install them yourself lol. it takes a floor jack, allen wrenches, and whatever you need to get your tire off, and a c clamp or something to compress the pison on the caliper. VERY VERY simple and i can have it done both fronts in about 20 minutes. super easy. and like i said, saves your bank, i would recommend the stainless braided lines as well though.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:52 PM
^vince. stainless lines do that much 4 ya?

WiGM-Tuners member.
Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:09 AM
I had a set of stainless hoses before, and yeah they really improve the pedal feel and control.

Especially at AutoX I had a lot more control on how much braking force I was using. The pedal had no mushiness whatsoever as well, compared to the OEM rubber hoses it was an impressive improvement.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Thursday, February 12, 2009 7:19 AM
stainless lines added to my list.

WiGM-Tuners member.
Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:45 AM
yeah well worth it, i have the russell stainless lines, the rears gave me some trouble for getting the stock lines apart. BUY LINE WRENCHES. dont just use an open end wrench, you will spin them off like no other. but yes well worth the price...

Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:55 AM
vince... powerslot is 'hawk??

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:49 PM
z yaaaa wrote:vince... powerslot is 'hawk??

yep its all the same company. when you look up rotors at some places they are hawk powerslot rotors. they are the same people. same with the pads.

Monday, February 16, 2009 3:56 PM
Okay so on friday I ordered the brembo slotted front rotors, with hawk brake pads, and stainless lines. All from turbotech. Not sure what to do about rears. maybe just get OEM replacement drums or something, Unless the more expensive neon rears are worth the cost?

Think this setup will be reliable and sufficient for my car (sc'd eco with minor bolt ons)?
Monday, February 16, 2009 4:11 PM
the rears are fine. all they really do is ebrake and a little stopping.

so you buy then ask if its going to be reliable? lol. plus people gave you suggestions on which re good ones.

Monday, February 16, 2009 5:45 PM
Lol, sorry. I was meaning is this setup good enough to provide me with good stopping power for my build. or if i needed new calipers or discs on the back.
Monday, February 16, 2009 8:16 PM
you should be fine. if anything big fronts do more than disc rears. but would look out of place. you should be fine.

Monday, February 16, 2009 10:26 PM
^You'd be very surprised how better braking in the rear can increase overall control of the vehicle. Once you put on rear discs and feel how flat the vehicle is when the brakes are applied instead of diving in the front.....you will never want to go back.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:03 AM
^^ exactly. Also, with how a lot of the suspension set-ups are going for ride stiff-ness and everything, it puts a lot of additional strain on the rear drums where if discs were there in place, they would take the beating a lot better.

OEM brake ratios with stock suspension - 70/30 front/rear, where with mild set-up, could drop it to 60/30 or a really good set-up (something you would see in a auto-X car, right down to 55/45

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search