no rear brakes or e brake - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
no rear brakes or e brake
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:30 PM
This just happend the other night.Pulled the ebrake on a hill,let off it then herd a thump.Everytime i brake i hear it and seams like i dont have rears.Pulled drums off.Both sides look pretty new.Wheel cylinders seam good.Cant figure it out.Stoped fine befor hand.

Re: no rear brakes or e brake
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:43 PM
do your rear brakes work at all?

jack it up...pull the tire and drum off...then have some press the brake and make sure @!#$ is moving.

also is there an abs light on?

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:36 PM
No abs. light .Its moving but one side of the wheel cylinder , on the same wheel is working harder than other.I see on other drum cars iv had ,thats normal.It thumps when i brake in reverse ,and again going forward, after reversing .But usually stops thumping after a few stops,but still have only fronts.I replaced the adjusters today, but cant get damn things from jumping off the adjuster teeth and getting loose again.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:50 PM
Oh and its doing it on both sides.Like i said it started with the ebrake.Sounds like the shoes arent tutching the drum then ot thumps on both sides at same time while braking.can the ebrake be binding and keeping the shoes stuck "open"?
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:17 PM
Im starting to think it has to do with my adjusters,star wheels.There not staying locked.gotta figure out why.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:50 PM
Maybe you can find someone THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING to have a look at it, since you haven't a clue.

And for the love of christ use the spell check button.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:52 AM
Im 32 and have replaced many drum brakes.I have never seen this problem befor.and thats what this forum is for,when you have a problem.You must be the local smartass.I have read alot of posts were you dont offer any help at all,just critisize.but anayway.the piece that rests on the star wheel to lock it in keeps slipping.Im thinking the spring that holds it on mabey weak.Going to replace all the springs ect.
Friday, February 20, 2009 12:57 PM
Can you release pressure to your rear brakes? or are they constantly locked up?
Friday, February 27, 2009 11:30 PM
Are the shoe retainer springs in one piece still and mounted properly to the shoe and backing plate hook?
Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:19 PM
the wizard wrote:Are the shoe retainer springs in one piece still and mounted properly to the shoe and backing plate hook?

That is what happened to my uncles car. One of those pins broke and it wasn't noticed when he first pulled the drum off. Double check. You would think it would automatically just spring into pieces like when you are trying to assemble them, but it doesn't always happen.
Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:25 PM
The only other thing I think it could be is that the star adjuster slipped off the location it is supposed to be on the bottom of the shoe, but you would have noticed that already. Even if the star adjuster is slipping a bit you should still have functioning rear brakes they just wont automatically adjust when you back up. Let me know about the pins.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search