K Brace - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
K Brace
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:03 AM
I have looked all over and can not figure out where the K brace goes? I seen it on Turbo Techs website but where does it go on the car? Also I am looking to do a rear swaybar I have read and the 3rd gens dont have a stock swaybar, so is it still a bolt on if i bought one? Any help would be great! Thanks

Re: K Brace
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:28 AM
The rear swaybar is easy to do and It does technically bolt on.

Here is a pic of my K-brace

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:01 AM

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:03 AM

These are what I designed up.
I also sell them so let me know if you are interested!
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:41 AM
Any more shots of the K brace for the 2200?

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 9:37 PM
Phil, nice work on the K-brace. Nice to be able to weld, no?
On the rear tie bar, your weak link would be the stand offs at your heims. They'll tend to flex under load and extra weight of the brackets (unless they're aluminum) will add unsprung weight to the rear axle.

Here's what I used for the rear tie bar to give you an idea of what I made. It's quite similar to yours and great minds do think alike.
My K-brace from TTR installed. You'll also see the V-brace I made to tie in the subframe to the rails along the rocker panels for more support and less flex in that area.

Here's a pic of the tie bar.
Since the rear axle is off of the car for the installation of the rear trailing arm bushings I'm installing, I'm going to make a minor change to the way the endlinks are going to be mounted to the axle.
I'm going to mount it without the nut in the picture and have a straight hookup if the heim will allow it. We'll see how that goes once I put it all together in a few months.

Nice work though man.
That K-brace of yours is a marvelous piece of work.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:13 PM
Phil Lindsay wrote:

These are what I designed up.
I also sell them so let me know if you are interested!

nice set up. where did you get that dump tube from?

ECOtec DOHC

Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:47 AM
so will the K brace not work if I have a sub frame brace already? Also is the Progress rear bars a good choice to go with? Also does that V bar help out? I have never seen one... Is it a home made one?

Thursday, February 05, 2009 5:11 AM
The cut out is a QTP Electronic Cut Out. Just a flip of a switch and shes loud as a bitch!

I also took out my spare tire pan and welded in a flat sheet of 1/16" stainless.

My rear tie bar spacers are stainless sch 40 pipe ..... highly doubt they will wear, but I will watch them. I needed to space them because I have center exit exhaust and the curve in the pipe was too close to the tie bar.

The rear tie bar is 1-1/4" aluminum radius rod, with grade 8 hardware, stainless brackets and spacers.

The K Member is 1x3x1/8 stainless sq tube, with grade 8 hardware, and 3/4 aluminum radius rod.
Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:02 AM
Phil Lindsay wrote:The cut out is a QTP Electronic Cut Out. Just a flip of a switch and shes loud as a bitch!

I also took out my spare tire pan and welded in a flat sheet of 1/16" stainless.

My rear tie bar spacers are stainless sch 40 pipe ..... highly doubt they will wear, but I will watch them. I needed to space them because I have center exit exhaust and the curve in the pipe was too close to the tie bar.

The rear tie bar is 1-1/4" aluminum radius rod, with grade 8 hardware, stainless brackets and spacers.

The K Member is 1x3x1/8 stainless sq tube, with grade 8 hardware, and 3/4 aluminum radius rod.

Very nice work man.
I think I've seen your tie bar before.
You should market that K-brace.

Teknik, that V brace is a prototype that I made.
It's braces the frame rails along the rocker section to the subframe to support and stiffen the subframe to the rails. Theoretically this should work really good with the car but I've not had the chance to drive the car yet since I'm doing a rear disc swap along with trailing arm bushing swap on the car.
In theory it should perform well and I do plan on having it welded on once I get the chance to either weld it myself or take it to an exhaust shop to have it welded.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:55 PM
Teknik_Z24 wrote:so will the K brace not work if I have a sub frame brace already? Also is the Progress rear bars a good choice to go with? Also does that V bar help out? I have never seen one... Is it a home made one?

K-brace = Subframe brace....... Called a "K-brace" from its distinctive "K" shape. The original Subframe braces where just straight pieces of Steel or Aluminum.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:59 PM
oh yea.....

On a 5-speed the "K-brace" mounts like JUCNBST's pic

On an Automatice it mounts upside down like in Misn's pic.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:39 PM
SpeedRacerZ is the originator of the K-brace and took it to TTR to have them mass produced. It's one of the best mods for our subframes that was ever made.
I tried to have Speed make one for me years ago and he'd pretty much stopped making them so like all, had to wait for TTR to come out with the design which was Speeds design from the beginning.
Thanks Speed for your design man. Innovation is not dead with us is it?
It's also nice to see that us old timers in the J-body world are still kicking with our Cavies, ever showing that our platform is as capable as ever.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:24 PM
how is the clearance on an auto that is lowered? my 05 is super low as it is so idk about it hitting EVERYTHING i drive over or not. i fanyone as pics of install on auto lowered 2"+???

Friday, March 20, 2009 4:29 PM
im lowered on sportlines and D-specs. so im pretty low. i also had my k-brace mounted like the autos have to mount em. with my setup the bottom of the bar was an estimated 3-3.5" off of the road surface.

this is what happened after hitting a raised steel plate in the road doing around 10 mph in heavy traffic. i had no choice but to go over the steel plate and hope for the best. i still cringe whenever i go over anything raised in the road.:

comparisson:

the new one goes on this weekend the correct way manuals are supposed to mount em. (gotta slightly modify the frame to do so, but no biggie)
how it was setup:

IMO one of the best mods ive done yet. just have to watch it with the autos or in my case, when mounting it upside down. just watch what you go over and how you do it and you'll probably be ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 20, 2009 4:32 PM

Friday, March 20, 2009 10:58 PM
yea ill go without it, its not like i autocross or anything only racing i do is drag as sir in tucson. my 05 is way too low and an auto so its not worth it.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:30 PM
Well step one ..... learn how to drive!!!!!
I have one thats homemade and it sits less than 1" off the the ground and I bottom out all the time, but never have caused any damage.
Just to let you know how low I am, when I take an on-ramp going 50 ish the body lean will make it scrap.
Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:17 PM
hey phil, i still plan on getting your brace when i have the available cash, but, do i have to delete the spare tire well like you did for this?
Monday, March 23, 2009 4:45 AM
No not at all, I only cut it out to fit my muffler for a center exit exhuast and it was doing nothing for my car anyway!

But PM when your ready to buy one!
Monday, March 23, 2009 4:59 AM
I have a rear tie bar for sale on ebay ..... Check them out if your interested.

Its very similar to Misnblu's setup, just a bigger bar.

The one in my picture above that incorporates the sway bar links is for sale as well ..... made to order for $120 plus shipping.

The k-member is for sale as well for $120 plus shipping.

The design is being modofied as we speak for better ground clearance to fit closer to the tranny pan. Will post pics ASAP!
Monday, March 23, 2009 1:37 PM
ooooooh...new design! can't wait to se eit!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:42 PM
love the bar on ebay... quick question about the 2200 k-brace... will this work
with an auto, factory exhaust, and when i get my exhaust done will i have to
worry about fitting it around the brace?

thanks for taking the time to make some sexy gear for us 2200 guys...

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:14 AM
Brian

Thanks for the comment about the reat tie bar!
The existing design will work with a 3 sp auto and a stock exhaust.
In the pics above its on a 3 sp auto with a 2.5" exhaust.
Im trying to retrofit it right now to get more ground clearance, but mind you this is 1x3 sq tubing
and I have hit a bunch of @!#$ with it and nothing has been deformed.
The new one has some new machining done to it, and inorder to keep it around the same price
I will most likely have to make it out of mild steel and then painted. Stainless is very expensive and eats
up my machinists mill bits but could still be done if desired, it just would cost a little bit more.

Actually this bar might be more expensive than I thought.

Please PM me if anyone is seriously interested!
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:48 PM
so, if i have the 4spd it won't fit? or you just know as far as the test car goes?
i really hope it will massage around the tranny... let me know...
as far as the heavier grade tubing goes, i might need to have you do that...
all of course depending on price... keep this thread posted... i'm very interested...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search