gr-2 and spring combo - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gr-2 and spring combo
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:51 AM
i found these on ebay today and i need new rear struts.. so i just wanted to know if this was a good deal or how the srpings are i havent seen much of them... thanx
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-CHEVY-CAVALIER-SUNFIRE-95-to-05_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em 14QQhashZitem310095614966QQitemZ310095614966

Re: gr-2 and spring combo
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:03 AM
The KYB GR-2 is a OEM-type replacement, and most would say that it's not designed to dampen a lowering spring. If you just need new struts for your OEM springs, the GR-2 is a fine replacement, and you should be able to find a good deal on just the struts on ebay.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:07 AM
yeah, the struts arent meant to handle any drop. also, not familiar with the springs.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:15 AM
ok thanks... i know there oem replacment, but i have heard many say they could handle a slight drop.. but im not sure. currently im rolling on origonal oem struts and clamped springs... thats the way i bought the car.. i havnt had a problem, untill one of my @!#$ hoda friends convinced me to get the chaep ebay coilovers just to try it out... so now i have 2 blown rear struts and stock springs with clamps on the front... so i was looking for somthing that wouldnt kill me cause im waiting for my next check to come in...
thanx
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:32 AM
Its says German, maybe sportlines?

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:52 AM
ive seen people use those springs. not the best for our cars but ive seen them used.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:49 AM
a lot of guys with 2nd gens use GR-2s and the seem to handle a mild drop just fine (nothing at or over 2 let's say)
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:43 AM
well the springs say 1.4 so it think thats a mild drop... and like i said i was driving around on clamped springs since last may... and my struts were fine... but for 300 i think that its a decent deal.... when i get the mony im gonna give it a shot.... ill tell u guys how it turns out...
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:41 PM
waste of money. i highly doubt your struts are fine after riding on clamped springs . i wont even get into that one.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:12 PM
wow.....nice.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:57 PM
My beater below is dropped on GR-2's, it's horrible.

Compares nothing to quality setups, like my old Sportlines/Yellows / multiple suspension setups I've ran.

Sits low though, no stock body roll, but the piss poor ride isn't worth all that for a daily driver. Save your pennies. Once I feel like blowing more money on this heap I'll be buying D-specs. Just simply don't care right now.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:46 AM
hey.. i was looking some more and i found this.. a bit more expensive but the springs are tokico and says they come with a lifetime warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-CAVALIER-SUNFIRE-95-04_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q QhashZitem400003495278QQitemZ400003495278
sorry cant get the link to work....
Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:03 AM
HP's are just like GR2's, stock replacements from what I always understood.

Now the D-specs are great for drops, and hell for $50 more you could have those shipped. You would just be left buying springs, which are commonly found for cheap amongst the classieds. Hell I saw Sportlines for $100 shipped in our regional I thought.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:54 AM
yeah, D-specs are the most popular since they can handle most any drop you throw at them.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:47 AM
I just finished installing the Tokico HPK291 strut and spring package on my '99 Vert. I bought it because Tokico warranties the package and the price was very good compared to buying separate springs and struts. The parts appeared to be very well made and they fit properly without fanfare. Tokico claims a 1.4 inch drop front and rear. After driving the car ten miles or so to settle things, the actual drop measured about 1.70 front and 1.1 rear. Won't know for a while if things will settle any more. I may put a sandbag in the trunk (just kidding). My preliminary impression is that It handles fine, but make no mistake about staying away from concrete parking lot bumpers. I also wonder about what suspension travel is left in the front with the drop, even though I cut the rubber stops per their recommendation. Time will tell. Snow will be falling soon here (Spokane, WA) and the car will likely get very few miles until next spring.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:54 PM
Tokico blues are entry level performance dampers, at least that's what they will tell you if you call them up haha

they are warrentied for upto a 2in lowering as well

the 1.4in springs packaged with their springs are made by canuck motorsports located right here in Surrey, BC, Canada

I picked up a set of 1.8in ones they made for my cav; quality springs according most 2nd gen'ers
Friday, October 31, 2008 10:25 PM
i you guys have turned me... a was always about the cheap quick fix.. but now i think im going with the agx and megan racing springs form andysautosport.com.....
http://www.andysautosport.com/chevrolet/2000_2002_cavalier/suspension/springs/megan_racing/
it says 1.7 inch drop.. so i figure just below two after it settles... agx will handel that with no problem..... right
thanks for the ipiffany... lol
Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:05 AM
lucky wrote:i you guys have turned me... a was always about the cheap quick fix.. but now i think im going with the agx and megan racing springs form andysautosport.com.....
http://www.andysautosport.com/chevrolet/2000_2002_cavalier/suspension/springs/megan_racing/
it says 1.7 inch drop.. so i figure just below two after it settles... agx will handel that with no problem..... right
thanks for the ipiffany... lol

Have you not read AGX's warranty info? They're only warrantied to a 1.5" drop IIRC.

Or better yet listen to the information you've been given in this post, or better yet read the suspension FAQ above.

Jesus-@!#$-christ, just buy whatever the hell you want.

Monday, November 03, 2008 1:00 AM
I am running gr-2s with sprint springs and it is just atrocious....the rears blew all the oil out of them and the front sounds like rice krispies when I turn....but.....i paid nothing for them and it looks great...they will stay for another week until the stock setup goes on for the winter....and in the spring...the gr2s will be back on my coupe and sitting in the driveway where they belong...and the sedan will get a real suspension set up
Monday, November 03, 2008 3:03 AM
Alex wrote:I am running gr-2s with sprint springs and it is just atrocious....the rears blew all the oil out of them and the front sounds like rice krispies when I turn....but.....i paid nothing for them and it looks great...they will stay for another week until the stock setup goes on for the winter....and in the spring...the gr2s will be back on my coupe and sitting in the driveway where they belong...and the sedan will get a real suspension set up

yea because i always care about looks over safety

Monday, November 10, 2008 8:24 PM
lets put it this way. if its not an adjustable shock, its meant for OEM springs.

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search