Changing drums from 02 style to 03? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Changing drums from 02 style to 03?
Monday, October 27, 2008 5:20 PM
While reading about painting drums I found in one post that 03 drums brakes are larger than the 02 setup. Is it possible to convert from an 02 setup to the 03 style? The reason I ask is my drums need to be serviced so I need to spend some money and would it be beneficial to make the change? My fronts are Baer rotors and KVR pads. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/mykeln/mysig.jpg

Re: Changing drums from 02 style to 03?
Monday, October 27, 2008 5:32 PM
It can be done. I just havent had enough motivation to install mine yet.

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:01 PM
Everything is different, including e-brake cables and I think backing plates as well. Not worth the hassle IMO. They're just barely larger, and it's not likely you'd actually notice a difference.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:24 AM
you would need to change everything from the backing plates forward. and probably the e-brake cables as well.

if going to that trouble, why not do the neon rear swap??

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:10 AM
Actually it should not be that bad. reason I say this is we put 05 rear drums on a 89 Z24. Yes the ebrake cable between those 2 were different but can be modded to work. I would think put the on a 02 would be easier than the 89. I also agree that the difference would probably not be seen.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:45 PM
The 03+ rear brakes are a different design. The drums are probably larger due to the reduced friction from the anchored style shoes.
I think the reason GM went to this new style is cost reducing. So I'd say stick to the "dual servo" brakes you already have.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:28 PM
Not sure why anyone would want to go through the hassle of swapping out a whole setup for another drum setup, even if it were more of a difference in size.

If you want to upgrade, just do a disc swap. Same amount of work, a little bit more money (depending on which way you go), but much more of an improvement.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:31 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:Not sure why anyone would want to go through the hassle of swapping out a whole setup for another drum setup, even if it were more of a difference in size.

If you want to upgrade, just do a disc swap. Same amount of work, a little bit more money (depending on which way you go), but much more of an improvement.

A disc swap is by far more work (unless you spend BIG money on a NAME brand kit). The Neon disc set-up is not a direct bolt on, requires things to be modified. This (other than maybe the ebrake) does not.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:23 PM
I know what's involved in the Neon swap, and the mods can be done by a machine shop (hence why I said more money), then it's really not more work than swapping out the whole system for another drum system.

There is also the swap using Baer-style plates and F/Y body parts. Again, needing some minor machining (redrill rotors), but otherwise fairly simple install, and most of the parts are easy to come by and inexpensive.

The point is that for the work of swapping in a newer drum setup, there is going to be no real improvement.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:48 PM
Quote:

The point is that for the work of swapping in a newer drum setup, there is going to be no real improvement.

I do agree that you won't see the difference (or feel it), but still this drum swap is a bolt on conpared to the disc swaps out there. If someone was to have the parts laying around for this drum swap and needed new back brakes not a bad deal. This was the case for a friend of mine and we put the 05 drums on the 89 Z24. No money spent since the 05 set-up had 3500 miles on them.

FU Tuning

Friday, December 12, 2008 10:29 AM
Bump.

Just did rear brakes on my '97 but am having an '04 rear axle/beam swapped and am wondering if there's any solid info regarding the e-brake cables.

Friday, December 12, 2008 10:31 AM
Found this from another post-
John Lenko wrote:The front e-brake cable (that is, the part that goes from the handle to the rear axle) is the same 01-05. I don't know what changed from 00, but it's got a different part number. The rear cables (that go to each wheel) are indeed different for 03-05. They're the same for 95-02 though.

Sounds promising if my '04 axle is complete.

If not we'll swap what I have over I suppose.

Friday, December 12, 2008 1:52 PM
I can verify that as well, cables are 100% for sure different on the bigger drums

Friday, December 12, 2008 3:18 PM
Guess I'll be keeping the old school drums then .

Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:56 PM
personally its not worth it you will still have drums and unless your running a lot of power or have big wheel you would have no reason to need big brakes the overall size difference isn't that much to justify doin the work

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, December 14, 2008 6:37 AM
You know I really love this forum, it's members, and their piss-poor ability to read.

Joe Schulte wrote:Just did rear brakes on my '97 but am having an '04 rear axle/beam swapped and am wondering if there's any solid info regarding the e-brake cables.

The drums are already on the '04 assembly that's being swapped. Hence my question as to if the cables would directly hook up, or shall I swap drums back over. Thank you.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:08 AM
its probably easier to swap cables over then the drums. And if your getting an 04 beam go for the one with the rear stabilizer bar built in.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:54 AM
i think this is one of those situation where you have to say spending this amount of money and time is pointless. just buying a car that wasnt crappy in the first place would of been better.

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:30 AM
Darkstars wrote:its probably easier to swap cables over then the drums. And if your getting an 04 beam go for the one with the rear stabilizer bar built in.

It's whatever the local yard got in unfortunately, I took the newest of their inventory.

Toronto Cavalier wrote:i think this is one of those situation where you have to say spending this amount of money and time is pointless. just buying a car that wasnt crappy in the first place would of been better.

Thank you for your contribution. You sir, are a scholar.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search