raising the 1999 sunfire - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
raising the 1999 sunfire
Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:31 PM
hi! At first my plan was to build my sunfire for a summer car but i decided to buy a 1990 skyline gts-t type m for hp an rwd . now that i have put away the skyline i would like to rais the suspension 4-5 inches with a small body lift and some bigger more aggressive tires? what are my options i cant find anythig about anyone raising a sunfire?

1999 2.2 se any tips appreshiated thanks

Re: raising the 1999 sunfire
Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:33 PM
wait what., thats a bit opposite of anything on here. Nothing that i know of exists for that, other than something completely custom.

03 Sunfire - Sold.
Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:08 PM
hold on, sorry. you want to do what?!?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:16 PM
i understand what hes wanting to do...jack up his sunfire...

but WHY!?

seriously, whats the reasoning behind this?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:48 PM
i agree with the rest, why? but if thats waht u want to do more power to ya.
what about an airbag or hydrulic kit then its not permently raised.
Friday, October 24, 2008 6:41 AM
There is a company that makes donk springs for the J-body, but I can't remember who they are at the moment. I believe they are a 2" lift. If you want to go higher than that, you're going to have to seriously mod the car. For one, the rears will come forward too far, and the fronts will have axle issues. You could make lift perches to avoid the rear problem, but there isn't going to be a simple solution for the front. If you want to go that high, your best bet is an S10 frame and drivetrain. Again, not a simple lift, because now you've got a whole chassis swap to deal with.

You can not simply body lift a unibody. LOL.

Friday, October 24, 2008 7:14 AM
im just wondering why you want to raise it more than stock ride height.....they are already 4x4's

Friday, October 24, 2008 2:49 PM
The whole reasion that i want to rais the sunfire is beacuse it will be a winter only car. i would like to do the raise and bigger more aggresive tires so it will handle better in the snow as i live in inisville and we get alot of snow. so there realy is no e z way to lift the sunfire crap! i cannot afford to do an s10 frame but i think ill look more into air bags?
Friday, October 24, 2008 6:24 PM
don't waist a perfectly good jbody
Friday, October 24, 2008 6:39 PM
There is no practical way to do whatever the hell you want to do, and air-ride for our cars will go no higher than stock if that unless you're doing a custom setup which either way is an expensive route. I'm saying it's not practical nor worth the money.

Invest in some good winter tires, Blizzacks, etc.! That's all you need to do, you might me impressed how well a J with such tires can do in the snow. Don't know what sizes are available, but if possible just run 16" wheels (rather cheap) with 225/50's if available which will give you a decent width with sidewall to boot. If you're running 14" or 15" steel wheels you can also figure a wider width maintaining close diameter with a tire-size calculator.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:23 AM
if you want to go higher and you get alot of snow, ditch the j and get a truck or a subaru...

Monday, October 27, 2008 1:51 PM
Or a tank

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:29 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:There is no practical way to do whatever the hell you want to do, and air-ride for our cars will go no higher than stock if that unless you're doing a custom setup which either way is an expensive route. I'm saying it's not practical nor worth the money.

Invest in some good winter tires, Blizzacks, etc.! That's all you need to do, you might me impressed how well a J with such tires can do in the snow. Don't know what sizes are available, but if possible just run 16" wheels (rather cheap) with 225/50's if available which will give you a decent width with sidewall to boot. If you're running 14" or 15" steel wheels you can also figure a wider width maintaining close diameter with a tire-size calculator.

although I agree that the J can hold its own rather well in the snow, I do have to disagree with the tire advice given. For the best winter traction, you actually want a skinnier tire. it will "cut" through the snow, where as a wider tire will want to float on the top of it.

I run my 14" steelies, with a 185/75R14 tire. it is slightly skinnier/taller than the stock tire, and I have not gotten stuck, or not been able to stop once. It makes a very good winter combo.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:57 AM
Yeah I have no clue what I was thinking there, he wanted to run big tires, I ran with it, but yes you're correct .

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:32 PM
brian martini wrote:hi! At first my plan was to build my sunfire for a summer car but i decided to buy a 1990 skyline gts-t type m for hp an rwd . now that i have put away the skyline i would like to rais the suspension 4-5 inches with a small body lift and some bigger more aggressive tires? what are my options i cant find anythig about anyone raising a sunfire?

1999 2.2 se any tips appreshiated thanks

Um, buy Blizzaks, put stock springs on and call it good?

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:40 PM
ditch the skyline and build the pontiac...

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search