best WAY to lower my car! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best WAY to lower my car!
Saturday, May 03, 2008 2:55 PM
I have a 2.2 liter cavalier. 99. I cut the springs myself and lowered the car 1/2 inches on the front. I love the hight. But the springs are starting to inch off the perch which it rests on and now pulls to the left.. Anyone that works on this car will know what I mean. Also the Struts are blown. They don't go up anymore. What should I do... Please give me brand name for struts and some springs I should go with that wont make it redic. low.

I know theres some threads on this but..sorry, I hope this saves me time. please email me or repost on what I should go with. rellucmot@mindless.com

Re: best WAY to lower my car!
Saturday, May 03, 2008 3:44 PM
dear lord man, HUGE mistake cutting the stock springs.... but you've learned your lesson so i'll help....

im running the Eibach Sportline lowering springs, oh and dont bother looking any where else, this price IS the cheapest.

also running Koni Yellow struts and could not be happier.

the ride is damn good for the amount of the drop the provide (1.7" front and 2.3" rear) and the handling is outstanding. pretty damn expensive of a setup though so be aware.

Riddle me this... riddle me that...
Saturday, May 03, 2008 3:45 PM
ur gonna crash with that set up get some coilovers and decent shocks

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Saturday, May 03, 2008 4:12 PM
i have the same set-up as z yaaaa. the height is awesome, the handling with just the springs and konis alone are great too. i also added strut tower bars front and back, rear sway, lower control arm bushings. car handles fantastic

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, May 03, 2008 4:30 PM
ok I need to lower my car. I rather keep my car a 4X4 rather than cutting my stock springs. It's because of this ORG thats made me a smart man. NEVER EVER EVER cut your stock springs. Its just TOO dangerous to even think about doing. Im just savvvvvvvvinggggg up to drop it. Sometimes I just want to put it on a credit it card and call it a day and drop it the proper way and no more 4X4, but the money aint in the bank. But at least my mind is in the right place: do not cut the stock springs! LOLz.

Saturday, May 03, 2008 8:35 PM
is the sportline the biggest drop available with a spring (non coilover). that 2.3 in there rear kinda worries me....i have the sprint springs(i think, they were on the car when i bought it). and there is a little too much fender gap for me...

Sunday, May 04, 2008 1:21 AM
I have the pro kit/agx and to me it looks really nice, and the ride is almost like stock,
I would want the look of the sportlines, but I don't want the really stiff ride (I take alot of trips with crap in the back)
so it is low enough I think.
A little lower in the front would have been nicer bit it is not too bad at all.

If I went lower, I would have gone with sportlines and either d-specs or koni's(Adjustable of course
I realy want some tiens, but It was not in the budget at the time(likely the ss's with the edfc(so cool))

need it, no, but very cool, now what would be even better is height adjustment on the fly while still keeping the performance, how cool would that be(yes I know of air bags, but I want better performance too)

wow, that went off topic quick,

sorry(KYB AGX and eibach pro kit is very popular and can be had cheap for a decent used setup(maybe get new struts though, just safer)I got mine for about 500 never used, but off someone that who bought then and didn't use then yet(beat prices arround me by about 300-500, canadian that is)

Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:25 AM
04EVOSunfire wrote:is the sportline the biggest drop available with a spring (non coilover). that 2.3 in there rear kinda worries me....i have the sprint springs(i think, they were on the car when i bought it). and there is a little too much fender gap for me...

Yes they are the lowest drop before coilovers, and, the 2.3 in the back isn't even as much as it seems. It closes the wheel gap nicely, and thats that.

I've never bottomed out front or rear end, on anything.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 11:22 AM
Wow, Glad I made the thread then. cause I cut the springs on my friends Thunder bird. That it worked out NICELY. Not so much for the cavalier. The perch is different. I don't mind paying for an expensive set up as long as u get what you pay for.

I've been looking around comparing prices on J-body sites with ebay products. Everyone tell me what you think.

here on
http://www.jbodytuner.com/product_info.php?cPath=440_2638_2671_2672&products_id=2198&osCsid=ba77435198a2b877852774576442329b
k sport lowering springs. which lowering the car 1.8 in the front and 2.3 in the back..... I know people get the 1.7 in the front so will this look funky?

but check it on ebay... same product less money. is it good?

I'm still comparing strut prices so ill get back to everyone on that.

Also!, another ebay product. which is a cold air intake for 2.2l non eco just like the very expensive AEM one(u can use their site instructions to install). but in blue and only 70$ instead around the price range of 200$+
maybe I should start a thread some where else now that I'm coming up with all this lol.

I'm just doing this cause I've compared a Short shifter which only bought for 40$ on ebay that was the same as the B&M one. Works great. So let me know if those springs should hold up.. I don't mind the orange. I can powder coat myself.
Sunday, May 04, 2008 11:30 AM
sorry heres the url for the ebay k sport springs

k sport lowering springs
Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:55 PM
I'm not sure what you're looking at there. Seemed to be a listing of mostly garbage coilovers.

Do some searching here rather than on eBay. There's tons of info on what you should get. You've already done it wrong once... do your research and do it right the next time.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 7:10 PM
You need to read the suspension FAQ's...Don't go with a no name brand, they are junk

As for a intake, there is a thread somewhere around here...

Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:30 PM
after i get my aem NOPI i'll have a custom painted (jet black) weapon r intake for sale...something to start with...ill let it go for 30 bucks

Sunday, May 04, 2008 9:19 PM
I have tokico springs and d-spec struts. I love them. They are easily adjustable and ride good. I picked them up from Jason at Aplus for around 750.00 I think (been a while).
Monday, May 05, 2008 10:49 AM
Salvatiosix Thanks, bro just read all of it. Going to save up. Heading to the junk yard now to put the stock springs back on.. lol it's 4 bucks for both springs =P... at least my experiment didn't cost me too much.

and 04EVOSunfire Need to talk to you about that intake =P

right now i'm going to take the money I was going to spend on lowering the car and use it to rebuild the 2.2l ohc. It needs some work before I can boost it.
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:54 AM
Glad you learnt cutting spring on older cars are different that doing it on new cars. New cars have progressive springs and old cars have linear. There is a drastic effect when you cut progressive springs and not recommended.

I see you have some hands on experience to steer other people away. I know of a guy who did what you did and ended up off the road with a torn up axle because of what you are talking about with the spring moving. Luckily it was not worse.

I did spring with no struts twice and i thought i was fine till i got my Ground COntrol and Koni's after doing that i swore i would not lower my car again unless it was done correctly.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:32 PM
Mylife75 (ajose) wrote:...New cars have progressive springs and old cars have linear. There is a drastic effect when you cut progressive springs and not recommended...

Just so anyone that reads this thread that doesn't understand, the most dangerous thing about cutting springs on our cars is because the springs are not a consistant diameter. It's not the progressive rate that's really the problem, although it's something to consider when cutting any spring, but the tapered coils are made to fit into the perch. When you cut off the smaller diameter coils, the spring will not stay where it's supposed to be. This is extremely dangerous, because in some cases, it can actually pop right off the perch, and cause you to lose control of your car.

Bottom line is that cut springs is a very very bad idea. It can not be said enough.

To the OP, I'm glad you didn't get hurt or cause an accident injuring anyone else to learn your lesson, and I really, really hope that you were not one of the many who ask if it's a good idea or not on these forums before you did it, and then went against everyone's advice.

And please remove the following in your reg now that you realize the error of your ways:

Quote:

Suspension/Wheels/Brakes:
Cuts the spring myself. Works great. Cheapest thing I've ever done.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search