Bad strut or Bad mount? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bad strut or Bad mount?
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:17 AM
I'm hearing a squealing/sqeaking sound coming from my left front strut area. Could this be a sign of a bad strut or bad mount?

Re: Bad strut or Bad mount?
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:03 PM
Maybe a bad bushing somewhere? Mounts tend to clunk more than squeak. What mods do you have?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:31 PM
Only mod I have are my struts Tokico HP
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:56 PM
when does it make the noise? bumps? turns? only when you're moving?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:47 PM
X2

ECOtec DOHC

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:12 PM
I'm only hearing it when I'm hitting bumps or pot holes.
Friday, May 02, 2008 3:00 PM
Well my front driver side of the car makes a squeaky noise when I'm driving It's not much though but when I make turns It's much louder what can that noise be???Thanks In advance.
Friday, May 02, 2008 4:52 PM
I've had both...

My current blown rear shock is a pretty loud knock, clunk, rattle... sounds like something is loose and shaking around. It's on the left, so it's more when I'm turning left because of the weight shift, such as turning at a light or stop sign. Also when I hit any kind of dip/bump in the road at speeds up to about 40mph.

Mounts sounded more dull, if that makes sense. Kinda muffled. A little knock, a little squeek. Mainly when I was going pretty slowly, like looking for parking in a lot or something. It almost sounded like the car had an ache

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:40 PM
hey RicanZ24, its your strut mounts. are they the original mounts? from what i hear mounts tend to go bad before the strut dampers do on these cars. personally, my struts went before the mounts though. if the rears are original, be ready for that knocking sound in the back too. Especially if its colder outside and at slower speeds. I'm running Gabriels with Eibach springs. Rides nice and firm and holds its own quite well around the corners and on the track!
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:13 PM
sounds like u pulled the shock bolt through the mount and its sqeeking against the spring happened in my camaro

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:46 PM
My cavy squeaked since the day I bought it with 11 miles on the ticker, and after lowering it, it only sqeaks a lil, and only after drastic temp changes (if you live around the great lakes-you know what I mean).
Bad mount bearings will pop and click when you turn, not like an axle shaft, but rpm and speed won't matter.
These cars just make all sorts of noise, from everywhere, price of ownership I guess.
I don't think that there is anything you can do to stop it, I am not aware of a single J car without some sort of noise complaint.
Boils down to a cheap GM product.
You should hear the trucks and suvs that rednecks and dumbfu$cks pay 55k for, I'd be ticked.
Schotty manufacturing is the only thing to say.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:23 PM
I would also check out the stabi bar, GM replaced mine 2 times because it would somehow end up twisted/bent and sqeaked all the time, and now its doing it again

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2267189
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search