Suspension question - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Suspension question
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:33 AM
I have a few questions regarding suspension. I'm new to lowering kits so please bare with me.

I'm in need of a replacement of my front struts so I figure it might be the time to actually look into lowering my suspension. However, I do not want to be in a situation in the winter or summer where I have to watch every single curb and bump.

Is it possible I can leave the front stock and lower the back? With this mess up the ride of the car????

Re: Suspension question
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:38 AM
Not sure if itll mess anything up, but it would be pointless to just lower the back imo... For one, its gonna be hard to just find 2 lowering springs.. You can buy some moderate drop springs. 1.5" 1.7" and 1.8 inch drop, that'll do ya fine with bump clearance.. I drove my car in the winter when I had springs on 1.5" Goldlines and I had an aftermarket front bumper on..

Goldline = 1.5" drop
Eibach= 1.8 in the front and 2.3" in the back drop I believe
I can't remember which springs were the 1.7" drop..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:49 AM
as far as springs go.. get eibach pro kit or the goldline ones and you should be all set.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:55 AM
So if I get this kit I should have no problems in the winter and with curbs and such?

Does this kit include the struts,springs, and strut bearings(as mine are bad)?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:09 AM
That depends on how good of a driver you are to be worried about the cubs.. Do you have an aftermarket front bumper?

check out jason at aplusperformance.com for struts, springs combo.. But usually the struts come seperate from the springs. Also, just grab some new strut mounts from advanced, or autozone..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:21 AM
Yes I just realized the 1.4" inch eibach will work with the factory struts. This alone saves money and make me feel good about keeping the car from hitting curbs and such.

I have stock ground effects.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:26 AM
^^ no it does not. factory struts should only be used for factory springs period.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:37 AM
Well according to this site you can.

http://www.marcor.ca/cavalier.htm

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:43 AM
Mike Johnson wrote:Well according to this site you can.

http://www.marcor.ca/cavalier.htm

trust me its wrong info. our struts suck in these cars and can barely handle the factory springs. if you wanna do it then go head and do it but i wouldnt. who would you believe a website that could be written by anyone or a forum dedicated to jbodies where people who have put numerious suspensions on know what their talking about?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:50 AM
No no, that's good to know. I will definitely get the struts and shocks than.

Stupid question, the struts are in the back and the shocks are in the front??

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:53 AM
struts all round. if you want the prokit, get a set of kyb agx struts. they are able to handle a 1.5" drop and are adjustalbe. they work great with the prokit

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:54 AM
This was my find based on what you told me to get for struts. They show a kit that includes to shocks and two struts.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:02 PM
check out places like

aplusperformance.com
gravanatuning.com
turbotechracing.com
carcustoms.net

all are org sponsored sites and they are all members on here.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:04 PM
How does this kit look? Looks like I could save money. The drop in the back doesn't look like much though, but again less of a worry from hitting curbs and winter driving...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KYB-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-CHEVY-CAVALIER-SUNFIRE-95-to-05_W0QQitemZ150224884509QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33590QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:11 PM
no the gr2 strut is a stock replacements. check out the faqs at the top and it will give you a break down on struts.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:53 PM
the fact is.. if your going to cheap out on suspension, then don't bother doing it...

I bought used Koni springs with AGX for a good price...

look for a used set if you want to save money, not a CHEAP set

"Silver 2001 Cavalier z24 5 speed 2 door sunroof and power everything "

AEM Short Ram Intake
B&M Short Throw Shifter
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search