removing GC from sturts/shocks - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
removing GC from sturts/shocks
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:25 PM
I got a set of GC Coilovers on a set of stock struts/shocks and I am having trouble removing them from the stock crap. I got the nut off the top of the shaft and the mount removed but the bottom part of the coil over ( the part with the threads and adjustor) wont come off. Is there something speicial i need to do to get it off or just pound on it with a hammer till it comes off? Thanks guys

Re: removing GC from sturts/shocks
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:27 AM
I would soak it with some penetrating oil and then try tapping it with a hammer and something to put against the bottom of it.

Be careful though. You don't want to chip up the threads or anything.

Might be worth calling up GC to see what new sleeves would cost you though. I came across an RKSport sleeve (much the same) that was pretty much fused to a stock strut a few years back. A friend had bought the set used and they ended up being completely useless to him.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:21 AM
Hit them a few times with a rubber mallet.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:51 AM
well got one of the rear ones to come off but the other side wont. It looks like the little gold ring that sits inside of the threaded part is stuck to the shaft and it stayed still while i pounded the thread part down.Think heat would help?
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:25 PM
New GC sleeves are like $60 for the pair including shipping. At least thats what they were maybe 2 years ago.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:04 PM
Same thing happened to me..Ended up having to buy a whole new strut and mount

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:07 PM
yea im thinkin that this is a lost cause. that gold ring that sits inside around the strut and sits in a little groove inside the threaded part is fussed to the strut and its not coming off. I tried PB blaster, heat, large hammer and it wont budge.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search