Steering - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering
Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:32 PM
Hey has anyone put a manual steering gear rack in the cars? If so can i get the p/n. thank you.

Re: Steering
Sunday, March 30, 2008 2:36 PM
Did 3rd gens even have a manual rack available?

I know you can use a 1st gen manual rack in a 2nd gen, but both of them are totally different than the 3rd gen rack.

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:28 PM
So they probably dont even make a 1st gen manual rack anymore........
Monday, March 31, 2008 7:33 PM
no there was no manual rack for 3rd gens. why dont you like power steering?

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:39 PM
because im going to have a track car. So basically anything i dont need is coming off. Also its run off the intake cam. I can't believe no one has put a manual rack in a 3rd gen........Hmmm would the cobalt rack work?
Wednesday, April 02, 2008 5:36 PM
You can still buy a manual rack for a 1st gen, but like I said, it won't fit without fab work. The reason behind no one doing it on a 3rd gen is just that, nothing is bolt in, and for the weight/HP gains, its probably not worth all the effort.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:06 PM
no it runs off the intake cam i want to reduce engine drag
Thursday, April 03, 2008 10:27 AM
Remove the pump and lines, bleed out the rack and cap the ports. Go to the track. And I'm sure I'm not the first one.

mike
Friday, April 04, 2008 12:36 AM
i removed the pump but capped the lines and it is really hard to turn... would draining the rack help with turning?

Does anyone have the part number from the 1st gen manual rack? I think im going to try to figure that out............
Friday, April 04, 2008 3:36 AM
Yes. But expect the quicker ratio pwr rack to have a bit more effort at low speed (parking maneuvers) than the slower ratio manual rack.
Friday, April 04, 2008 10:43 AM
Search for the number on V6Z24.com. I don't think its going to fit though. 1st/2nd gen racks have center mounted tie rod ends, 3rd gens are on the ends. 3rd gen steering arms are on the spinde, ours are on the strut. I don't think there is enough room under your unibody for the tie rod to have enough travel when the suspension flexes. You're always going to have a harder time turning a manual rack than a power rack, unless you're actually moving. But again, for the gains of simply removing the pump from the accessory belt, its not worth it, since the pump doesn't really do anything to slow down RPMs when going in a straight line. People swap out the power rack for the manual rack in 2nd gens for the quicker ratio, it has nothing to do with parasitic draw.

If you really want to do this without alot of work, look for a 91-95 MR2 electric pump.

Friday, April 04, 2008 12:29 PM
i thouht i read something about people swapping in Saturn racks from the SL's or L's... thought i remember reading something like that before.

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 16.3 in 1320 and falling...
Friday, April 04, 2008 6:57 PM
i think my problem now is i havent bled the rack i just attached the lines and probably trapped a bunch of air in them... I am going to bleed the rack tonight. im pretty sure a 1st gen rack wont fit my car because 1st gen and 2nd gen racks mount the the firewall...Im going to look into the SL and L racks next time im at work.....
Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:00 PM
Who makes an electric power steering pump?
Friday, April 18, 2008 8:08 AM
2 posts up-

James Cahill wrote:If you really want to do this without alot of work, look for a 91-95 MR2 electric pump.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:56 PM
oh sweet do you think they still make OEM pumps for that year......... i want a new one... I'll check
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search