Another D-Spec Issue - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Another D-Spec Issue
Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:56 PM
I was pulling my car into the shop today to do a rotate, and when I went up the bump above the lifts I heard a loud pop sound.

To make a long story short, the top half of the right rear strut piston snapped off. I have about 500 miles on then, and have Tein S tech springs. I don't autocross, I don't corner like a freak, I drive like a normal person... other than the occasional quick take off.

Anyone else have this issue? Do you think Tokico will warranty this, or am I screwed?

Re: Another D-Spec Issue
Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:00 PM
They friggin' well better. It that doesn't spell manufacturer's defect, then I'm not sure what would qualify.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:27 PM
Jason (A+ performance) is getting me the information so I can contact Tokico.

Thanks Jason!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:49 AM
^^^ That's insane, I've never seen that before.

PM sent back.

www.TaillightTinting.com #1 SOURCE FOR VHT NITE SHADES
www.aPlusPerformance.com BACK ONLINE SOMETIME SOON!
PHONE 763-682-9945

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 11:22 AM
wow thats crazy..i figure you shouldnt have any trouble getting it taken care of with them...keep us posted!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 1:25 PM
is this what happens when you use an impact to tighten the nut????
Wednesday, April 02, 2008 1:56 PM
I didn't impact them. I used a small wrench on the center shaft and a tightened the lower nut, then the upper lock nut. It was all inspected and verified by a GM certified suspension tech and aligned.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 3:14 PM
Over torqued maybe??? I have well over 16K on mine and I used a 3/8" impact to install my rears. Never seen that happen except for an overtorque and that was only once.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 9:48 PM
Here is the picture of the strut. I removed them today at work and installed stockers...

Friday, April 04, 2008 6:27 AM
that sucks.
so did the tech check that were torqued to spec?
dont get me wrong, im not trying to say you did anything incorrect. could just be a defect. i would definately talk to tokico
Friday, April 04, 2008 8:04 AM
I know the mount bolts are torqued to 16 - 18ft lbs, and the lower bolt was torqued to 100 -130 ft lbs. I don't remember what the shaft was torqued to, it couldn't be to much it was done with a wrench and checked with a TQ wrench.

Friday, April 04, 2008 5:52 PM
Could have been a manufacturing defect... they will hopefully replace them. From what I've heard Tokico is fairly good with their warranties and they offer lifetime warranties on those struts.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 3:20 PM
Just a quick update:

Jason got all the warranty info sent to me, and I will be shipping the strut(s) back for inspection.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 4:49 PM
I hope it works out for you... I hope my D-specs never brake I really like mine..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search