Braking Issues - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Braking Issues
Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:26 AM
So I decided to upgrade my braking setup; Drilled/Slotted rotors (not to start a debate), ceramic pads and stainless lines. Everything was going (or stopping) great until I decided to powdercoat the calipers and drums. Now my pedal is softer than a pillow and I can't stop for crap. Any thoughts?

Now With More Carbon Fiber!

Re: Braking Issues
Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:54 AM
It seems unlikely that powdercoating itself it to blame, since it shouldn't be interfering with any moving parts or braking surfaces. My only suggestion wold be that air or other debris might have made it into the fluid, without being fully bled, when the calipers were put back on.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:55 AM
Yeah... did you bleed the system properly after putting the calipers back on?

Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:50 AM
The calipers were bled improperly by the shop that did the work, and then rebled correctly by myself. Still soft brakes though.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:34 PM
This may not be true of all brands, but I found in my case that "upgrading" to drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads softened my brakes also. It could be a common thing. My thinking is that it's a combination of less surface area on the rotors, and "slicker" ceramic compound in the pads.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 4:19 PM
^really? i found after installing my powerslots that my pedal is alot firmer than with the stockers, but i did also install new calipers, pads, drums and shoes at the sametime...

------
http://corpsemangler.fortunecity.com
Saturday, March 29, 2008 5:13 PM
For sure. My full-stock setup was downright grabby, but after new rotors and pads (and twice bled, thinking that was a factor), my brakes are still softer. They still operate through the full pedal range -- in other words, it's not a "low pedal", and they are consistent and firm when I stand on it. It's actually a pretty luxurious and smooth brake feel, and I've decided it must be the nature of the "Posi-Quiet" pads I ended up with.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:07 PM
The type of rotor and/or pad have nothing at all to do with pedal travel, or soft feel. Odds are the rears came way out of adjustment when the drums were removed for painting, and haven't been re-adjusted properly. Also possible that the sliders aren't sliding as they should, perhaps paint is causing a binding issue, or lack of slider lubricant.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:48 PM
So you powder coated your brake calipers? Meaning you fully rebuilt the calipers after you got them back from the powdercoating place? You disseassembled your calipers before you sent them out to get powdercoated? A soft brake pedal has nothing to do with the rotors........... That is all a hydraulic issue. Rebuild your calipers, Bleed your brake system.
Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:49 PM
adjust your rear brakes
Sunday, March 30, 2008 1:00 AM
I did this on my 84 Monte ss that I had in high school, I had to rebuild the calipers, the baking process F@*&ED the seals up pretty bad and pretty much made my pedal feel like I was stepping in jello.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:58 AM
Yeah, the rotors & pads weren't the issue. I had those done before the calipers/drums and my pedal was stiff as could be. To answer one of the questions; Yes I disassembled the calipers when I had them powdercoated, so seals shouldn't be the issue, but I may have to dismantle and reassemble my system again. Maybe things just aren't moving correctly.

Friday, April 04, 2008 12:39 AM
Yeah i would start off there and replace all the seals.... Make sure you have the piston seal going the right way. and the dust cover on the right way. If you put the square seal on the wrong way you could be alowing fluid to go past it. You know what i mean?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search