~Installing hydraulic suspension. Pics - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
~Installing hydraulic suspension. Pics
Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:40 AM
I'm modding the suspension a little bit, so i'll post the progress as I go. It is going to be fully bolt in after some parts are made.
I have been working slowly on it for a couple months so far, taking my time on it (and my money, hah)
A few people from jbody have kindly helped me with some freebies and detailed information. (FReQ Z (ikE-Zed), James Cahill , thank you guys.)

I was going to post this in the pictures section, but it would probably be better suited for the suspension forum in my opinion, however if you disagree move/lock/delete it as you wish.

So i'm trying to stuff 2 pumps with 4 batterys, each pump running on 24 volts. The suspension will have 6" cylinders in the front and 10's in the rear, with accumulators and powerballs on all four corners. Ride quaility, when installed properly hydraulics can ride as good, if not better then a stock car. The accumulators essentially turn the cylinder shaft into a shock.

Click the pictures for larger, they are a lil blurry-- screw it, cant be bothered to buy a new camera at the moment.. lol

The car:

The goods, Black Magic Hydraulics 2 pump setup.

Front suspension. These struts are 1-3/4" I.D, So I got some 1-5/8" O.D 6" hydraulic cylinders and a piece of 1-3/4" O.D - .060 wall round tubing to act as a sleeve spacer. This works great and leaves about a 16th of an inch around it. The fitting you see is a 3/8" swivel elbow, along with a 3/8" standard cylinder elbow. This will allow the front wheels to turn without pulling and binding up the hose. A couple nuts welded into the sides of the strut with a bolt will act as a pinch to hold everything together tight.
The rear will be the same except without the extra swivel elbow (<- this may change once I get everything installed) The rear cylinders are 1-1/2" O.D they fit nicely just as a straight drop into the oem strut no sleeve used here. You can sorta see the rears in the 3rd picture.

I got the rear upper mount plates cut out, these are 3/16th inch thick

Start of the battery rack, and pump mounts. The rack is 1-1/4" x 1/8th angle, and 1" square box. I ended up using the same 3/16" plate for the bottom of the pump mount and for the top mount. (1/8th inch top mount shown in pics)

Couple pictures of the progress.
Rack mocked up. The flat bar thats in the middle at an angle will be welded onto the ends of the rack on the square braces to hold the 6 solenoids.

I'll probably shove a small piece of angle up agaisnt the pump mount plate, and the rack, and weld them together, along with a grade 5-8 bolt through the rack with large washers to keep it all secure.

Here is the rack welded up and almost complete, and the pumps mounted to check for clearances.

More pics as I continue to build.

Any comments and suggestions, questions are welcome.

Re: ~Installing hydraulic suspension. Pics
Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:43 AM
good luck with it. there was 2 other people on here that had hydraulics on their cavs. i dont mind them but i see alot of downs with hydraulics vs air. good luck with your project though.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:12 AM
Hell yea man, good ish.. Way to go against the 'norm' vs air... Can't wait to see more pics.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:36 PM
Nice work! u did it all there? good luck, take some time to have it dropped at even height! Keep it up!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:05 PM
arr joo planning to go to the car shows holmes?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:01 PM
I cant justify the price of an air kit, when I can install hydrualics for half the price, nothing against air but the kits for our cars are a ripoff, and dont lift high enough. Not to mentian compressors running with not much play time. Lets face it, hydraulics are off the charts on the coolness factor.

Yea, I am building it all myself, minus the welding. For now I am going to go as low as possible without cutting anything out. Evenutally, I might go lower.

I dont plan on going to car shows, this is just my daily driver. Thanks for the comments, here are a couple more pictures.

Front struts,

Rears,

Rack, 1-1/4" x 1/8th with 1" square braces,

Thats it for now.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:29 PM
keep up the good work bro. glad to see my old struts are being used for a bad ass project like this.

we'll have to meet up again once you get it all done. I'd like to see it in person.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:38 PM
For sure man, we will meet up soon, thanks again for the struts.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:08 PM
i do commend you for doing something different and i hope it works out well for you.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Friday, March 28, 2008 8:28 AM
Hats-off as you're building an entire suspension setup yourself and look to be going about it in the right way.

Doesn't matter how many people here don't care for hydros, you're doing something many can't.

Hope it works out for you!

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:05 AM
Nice fab work man! I'm happy to see alot of planning going in to it, and zerks too!

Friday, March 28, 2008 10:20 PM
good job man like said the fab work looks good and i cant wait to see it done. wish i was still in az to see it in person

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:56 AM
any updates

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 1:12 PM
yellow22 wrote:any updates

Unfortuantly, not yet.

I'm trying to track down and buy 4 accumulators, which is proving to be a lil difficult.

Do you happen to know of any parker dealers in Az?

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 1:55 PM
I think I looked up the right company... LOL

KENNEDEY HYDRAULICS OF AZ
4830 S. 33RD STREET
PHOENIX, AZ 85040
United States
Telephone: (602) 243-4131
Fax: (602) 276-0126

CONTROLLED MOTION SOLUTIONS
2416 W CAMPUS DRIVE
TEMPE, AZ 85282
United States
Telephone: (602) 437-8799
Fax: (602) 437-8597

FLUID CONNECTOR PRODUCTS
2416 W. CAMPUS DRIVE
TEMPE, AZ 85282
United States
Telephone: (602) 437-8799
Fax: (602) 437-8597

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 2:40 PM
Yeah bro, I got those. I was just wondering if there was any others. For such a big city with custom rides everywhere you would think there would be more.

All I have to do, is get accumulators, batterys, and work out a hose lengh issue, and I should be done.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:11 AM
props on the custom work, but if it rides anything like my buddys hydro setup on a cav........have fun

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:38 AM
Joey (i can has boomstick) wrote:props on the custom work, but if it rides anything like my buddys hydro setup on a cav........have fun

thats what the accumulators are for

Friday, April 04, 2008 2:29 AM
Nice project cant wait to see more

Monday, April 14, 2008 10:57 PM
Lol, It's been slow going. I have had a lot of other stuff to do, plus I had to find and order up some more parts. I still need a couple more things but shouldn't be to much longer untill its done..

Camera gets worse with every picture I take. It's garbage.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:06 AM
looks good, best of luck on the project

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:49 AM
yea looks pretty good cant wait to see this done should look good. your install looks like its gonna turn out good

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:13 AM
now i dont want to scrap my cavi stripped the air off of it and now this?!

and i know a guy selling a 2 pump set up too you suck majorly
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:45 PM
travis dillon wrote:now i dont want to scrap my cavi stripped the air off of it and now this?!

Whaaa?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:00 PM
Silver Z wrote:
travis dillon wrote:now i dont want to scrap my cavi stripped the air off of it and now this?!

Whaaa?

x2 i was lost reading that

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search