Tein SuperStreet Coilover Setup with clearance fix? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tein SuperStreet Coilover Setup with clearance fix?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:00 AM
Alright, I've read the many posts about the Tein SS having their clearance close to the tire and all and personally I don't wanna risk being one of those with less then a penny thickness between tire and the spring perch... soo. I remember reading someone posting that buying the Wilwood front brake kit will remedy this issue. I believe it was Chad the gravana guy who posted it, just curious if anyone has verified this or knows for sure that it will help the issue. If all else i guess some 5mm spacers can be done but I really rather not and would go with the woodys if it would solve this issue. Thanks

Re: Tein SuperStreet Coilover Setup with clearance fix?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:18 AM
not sure but i have the baer 13" brakes and the ss setup and i dont have any rubbing

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:39 AM
Im using stockers right now with the Teins and I havent had any problems. I find out this weekend for you if rims clear it or not though

Click Sig for Jersey GM's Official Website

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:11 AM
Hmm im also interested in the Tein SS coilovers and this would be good to know

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:49 AM
I have about two pennies worth of space on my Teins and the wheel...Wilwoods go on this weekend...so I'll let you know!!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:31 AM
The TEIN SS's will clear the factory wheels no problem. When I had them on my 99Z I had to use thin spacers front and rear for clearance. When I swapped the Axis wheels and TEINS to the 03 w/ Wilwoods I didn't need, or use, the spacers up front. For the life of me I can't remember if I needed the spacers in the rears, but I use them anyways to bring the rear track out a little bit.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:39 PM
i have about a finger width space between rim and spring.

swapped, supercharged, intercooled, 2.9, fun
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:33 PM
Blue deuce, thatd be awesome

Mike, Bubba, Chad, Snowman, what size rims and tires you guys running? Blue deuce, you as well? I'll be running a 18x7.5 rim with 225/40/18s and a 45 offset so thats why I am a little worried.

Thanks for the responses guys

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:05 PM
I plan on running 17x8 5zigen's (the ones Trey was selling a while back) I'll def let you know Stephen if it clears or not when they show up Sunday

Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:46 AM
whats on the car now are 18" mr7s. dont know the width or offset though. im sure if i googled it i could find it since they are such generic rims but im lazy

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:29 AM
I'll have to check the offset when the car comes back from the body shop, but they are 17x7.5 w 225/45/17. *edit* IM'd my Axis rep and they are +42.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:47 PM
I run 18 X 7.5 with 42mm offset running 225/40/18 tires....

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Friday, March 14, 2008 5:47 PM
Alright, deuce, if you can lemme know if it helped clearance any after u get it aligned. defiantly curious on this

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:02 PM
Stephen (Manta Z) wrote:Blue deuce, thatd be awesome

Mike, Bubba, Chad, Snowman, what size rims and tires you guys running? Blue deuce, you as well? I'll be running a 18x7.5 rim with 225/40/18s and a 45 offset so thats why I am a little worried.

Thanks for the responses guys

Sounds like it's going to rub with 3mm less clearence than blueduece.

Friday, March 14, 2008 8:06 PM
I wonder... I have a +40mm offset, but 17x7... Then it should definitely clear the spring, correct? Although purchase is definitely not imminent, you'd think there would be more of a disclaimer posted somewhere? As well, is this an issue with SSBC 12's or 13's?

I'm going on D-specs for this year, as I budgeted for a swap with a GOOD rad and engine mounts (Grffin Al rad and Poly-mounted all-around), so Super-Streets are in next year's budget (with boost ).

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:03 AM
I got called in to work this morning and just got home about an hour ago...trying to see if I can get this done today as I have plans with the family tomorrow!

Sorry I may not have the info you need for a few more days if I don't get done today...

I'll post back up though when i am done.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:06 AM
No worries, just lemme know what you come up with, hoping for good news lol

Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:01 AM
Getting there...it's getting dark now though so gonna have to suspend the install for the day (no lights in the garage!! Got to love Germany!!)

I'll get some pics of the before and after for you though...I think I'm gonna gain about +3mm at least...looks to be anyway!!

Saturday, March 15, 2008 12:47 PM
Hey guys, this might help you, once you figure out how much backspacing will work on the Tein's...

backspacing calculator

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:42 PM
Tried the rims out today and hit the perch of the teins, so 17x8 fn01r-c's dont fit with I think a 48 offset

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:05 PM
BubbaKnoxz wrote:Tried the rims out today and hit the perch of the teins, so 17x8 fn01r-c's dont fit with I think a 48 offset

well thats a bitch. I would have thought the 48mm offset would have been fine as they push the rim out, maybe you have the 35mm offset bubba.

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:36 PM
if they are 17x8 with a 35mm offset, they should clear. from what i've seen, the basics and the ss's are setup the same way and look to have the same clearance issues. i've spent some time measuring and crunching numbers as to what should fit, and what won't fit with the tein setups. if you stay away from wide wheels with high offsets (45ish), everything should be fine. if i'm wrong, someone please feel free to chime in and correct me. what's the offset on the FN01R-Cs that you picked up bubba?

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:37 PM
Could be =/ I really dont know what the offset the wheels really are. It really sucks cause they looked soooo sexy lol

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:57 PM
BubbaKnoxz wrote:Could be =/ I really dont know what the offset the wheels really are. It really sucks cause they looked soooo sexy lol

you picked up those bronze ones right? i wanna see pics of them next to the car. how does the color look with the silver?

Friday, March 21, 2008 6:06 PM
It looks sexy on silver , my next wheels will be bronze as well cause the combo is perfect, however I didnt get any pics. Plan for todays was just wanted to answer Stephens question. Since it's been bothering me, I'll see if I can get pics next week when I head back out to Jeff's place.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search