Swapping front brakes to rear - possible? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swapping front brakes to rear - possible?
Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:13 PM
Now...I know that the title of this thread probably sounds totally retarded, but hear me out. I haven't heard of or found mention of this, and I'm wondering if it's possible (yes, I know, anything is) and would work. My idea is...if you were to get a front brake kit, you wouldn't need your front calipers and such any more. How hard would it be to just take those calipers and brake parts and put them on the back? I've never installed a brake kit (so I don't know what parts you replace with one and what you still would be using on the front - brackets, hubs, whatever), but I figured...maybe? I don't know...and I've got the flame suit ready.

Again this is only if installing a front big brake kit. I'm NOT suggesting something like swapping your rear drums to the front and the front discs to the rear...that'd be retarded. I just thought this might be an option that would save you the cost of even going and doing something like the Neon rear disc swap - you'd already have the parts, or most of them I'd think at least. Maybe you'd need to pick up a couple pieces from the junkyard off the front of a donor car that would still be in use in the front of your car, but how much would there be to it? My Sunfire is my only car so I can't just jack it up and start tearing parts off and tinkering with it to see (and I don't have a front big brake kit - yet - either).

Re: Swapping front brakes to rear - possible?
Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:33 PM
actually...its been done on FSTCAVZ24. Downfall is, he doesn't have an emergency brake.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:33 PM
what are you going to use to hold everythnig in place? theres nothing there to hold it. search the forum, its been brought up many times

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:40 PM
DroptopPaul wrote:actually...its been done on FSTCAVZ24. Downfall is, he doesn't have an emergency brake.

That would be Atomic. FstCavZ24 has the only real Wilwood rear brake kit (from Wilwood themselves) in existence.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:41 PM
Ah, no emergency brake...didn't even think about that. No small issue, especially with a 5 speed.

And that's just it, I wasn't sure what all would really be necessary to hold it in place. I tried searching a bit and checking the FAQs but honestly "rear rotor" or "disc swap" wasn't getting me there. I figured it'd been brought up...unfortunately I couldn't find it. That in itself told me it must not really be that feasible. Thanks though...looks like the Neon swap is probably the better way to go for something like this.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:52 AM
The key to any rear disk conversion is the bracket. You need something strong to hold the caliper in place over the rotor. Once that's resolved, the rest is childs play.

With that in mind, the calipers are the least of your concerns, and that's the only bit you'd be using from the front (besides rotors and pads, which are disposable).

So all you'd have saved yourself is the cost of a set of calipers made to go in the back with built in parking brake support.

Calipers are cheap. It's the bracket that's key.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search