koni reds and motosport coilovers - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
koni reds and motosport coilovers
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:22 PM
hey i can get these brand new koni reds and coilovers that are motosport are these a good set up? also do cavaliers and sunfires have the same struts i thought they did but the guy who has these says that they will only fit a sunfire. i dont think this is true though am i right?

Re: koni reds and motosport coilovers
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:29 PM
Never heard of the brand, and Koni Reds haven't been made for our cars in awhile. Any 95+ Cavy or Jbody suspension part is interchangeable - at least as far as springs, struts, sway bars, etc/

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:06 AM
if the reds are cheaper tan the yellows you should get them. if they ever blow out, koni will replace them w/ yellows.
did this last year.
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:23 AM
they dont even make reds anymore. they havent ever since the yellows came out like 3 years ago. id be shocked if anyone has a brand new set of these anymore

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:27 AM
If you are going to actually adjust the struts then just get the yellows. I've got reds on mine with ground control coilovers.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:55 AM
KONI reds suck ass! Coil overs suck ass. I blew out 2 pairs of KONI reds with 2 different types of coil overs( skunk 2 and Ground Control) unless you wanna drive a wheel barrel buy springs MUCH better. ONCE AGAIN KONI REDS AND COIL OVERS ARE

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:47 PM
Josh G. wrote:KONI reds suck ass! Coil overs suck ass. I blew out 2 pairs of KONI reds with 2 different types of coil overs( skunk 2 and Ground Control) unless you wanna drive a wheel barrel buy springs MUCH better. ONCE AGAIN KONI REDS AND COIL OVERS ARE

ummm not really. my guess is you were driving around slammed all the time which isnt advised. there is no which is better when it comes to coils and springs. both have their companys who make good and bad of each.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:19 PM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:ummm not really. my guess is you were driving around slammed all the time which isnt advised. there is no which is better when it comes to coils and springs. both have their companys who make good and bad of each.

UMM yes really. how many suspension set ups have you had on your car? lets see probably one. damn i have had Eibach, Skunk2,Ground control, gold line and now i have Megan Racing springs. Ok here are the facts do you live where there are pot holes? If yes then like i said before STAY AWAY FROM COIL OVERS. and hey asshat if koni reds were so great why did they stop making them all together?? HMM i wonder.

Maybe the fact that the Valves in the struts sucked majorly. Yeah that could be a reason. or maybe the fact that they were not as adjustable as they claimed to be. and as far as your little comment. Maybe you shouldnt have driven slammed all the time. Hey thats why you buy coil overs to slam the piss out of your car. not to ride on small ass springs that did you forget to mention have no spring rate. Oh wait is that how a car gets it's comfort? i think it is by the springs adjusting to the road and compressing as the road surface changes.

But wait coil overs dont do that. Thats right! thats why MOST street cars that are professionally built use springs instead of coil overs. Unless you spend major money on a full setup and it actually has real springs on it like the TEIN set up has.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:30 PM
Josh G. wrote:
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote: hey asshat if koni reds were so great why did they stop making them all together?? HMM i wonder.

It probably had something to do with Koni's choice to devote their production the more sport-oriented Yellows, which better matched the intentions of the J-body owners that would bother spending money on costly aftermarket struts. The Reds were simply a different nich -- softer ride, little lower-tech adjustment solution. Somehow they got the same level of support for Koni, and are still sought after second-hand.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:41 PM
Last time we checked NO dealers of Koni have reds in stock, I am sure it is a product on the site, that they dont have stock, nor know they are discontinued....

Reds have been gone since about November 2004....

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:52 PM
First, let me say that if you don't know jack about suspensions, you shouldn't bother posting in this forum. Normally I don't get involved in flame wars, but you obviously have no clue what you're talking about, so I have to stop misinformation before it gets too far.

Josh G. wrote:how many suspension set ups have you had on your car? lets see probably one. damn i have had Eibach, Skunk2,Ground control, gold line and now i have Megan Racing springs.

I've had 7. So I think I think I beat you there. I'm currently on a mix suspension, most of it actually built by me, not off the shelf, so thats one more notch in my belt.

Josh G. wrote:Ok here are the facts do you live where there are pot holes? If yes then like i said before STAY AWAY FROM COIL OVERS.

Yes. Why? I live in the northeast and there are potholes even in the summer. I don't have any issues. Maybe thats because I know how to properly set up a suspension. You on the other hand.......

Josh G. wrote:and hey asshat if koni reds were so great why did they stop making them all together?? HMM i wonder.

Could it be that they weren't a great seller at the time? Wow! Really!!?? They were ahead of their time. Double adjustable street car dampers at a time when most people only wanted to drop the cash on cheap ass lowering springs and KYBs. It might also have to do with the fact that most people are too lazy to actually adjust them, and could never understand why they needed to be taken out of the car to adjust. No..... neither of those reasons....

Josh G. wrote:Maybe the fact that the Valves in the struts sucked majorly. Yeah that could be a reason. or maybe the fact that they were not as adjustable as they claimed to be.

Have you ever seen the inside of a damper before? Do you even know how to tune a suspension? "Hey guys! Lets crank this all the way up and see what happens! Cool!"

Josh G. wrote:and as far as your little comment. Maybe you shouldnt have driven slammed all the time. Hey thats why you buy coil overs to slam the piss out of your car. not to ride on small ass springs that did you forget to mention have no spring rate. Oh wait is that how a car gets it's comfort? i think it is by the springs adjusting to the road and compressing as the road surface changes.

Coil-overs ARE NOT (I'll say it again) ARE NOT designed with that in mind. They are used to adjust corner weights on the car by adjusting ride height at individual corners. Do you even know what corner weights are? If you had a coil-over setup with improper spring rates, thats your fault. But I won't blame you, since you have no clue what you're doing anyways. And BTW, springs react both directions, not just compression. The damper slows down the spring oscillation. So.... it all has to be tuned together, or guess what? It doesn't work right!

Josh G. wrote:But wait coil overs dont do that. Thats right! thats why MOST street cars that are professionally built use springs instead of coil overs. Unless you spend major money on a full setup and it actually has real springs on it like the TEIN set up has.

Why don't they? Case in point- YOU had a bed setup on YOUR car. YOU picked the wrong spring rates. YOU didn't tune the dampers properly. YOU screwed up. Not Koni, or any other manufacturer for that matter. YOU need to take responsibility for YOUR actions.

Have a nice day.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:04 PM
Josh G. wrote:Hey thats why you buy coil overs to slam the piss out of your car. not to ride on small ass springs that did you forget to mention have no spring rate.

Probably one of the dumbest statements I have EVER seen on the org.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:45 PM
holy @!#$!

LMFAO

Josh G may be the dumbest person to EVER post in suspension and brake LOL

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:56 PM
Asshat?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:49 AM
how many suspensions have i had? lets see, i had the EXACT same setup before as you with koni reds and skunk2 coils, then i went to air ride, then i went to the tein ss with edfc (possibly the best coilover system ever). please do not talk @!#$ if you have to clue who your talking to or what your talking about. the reason why the stop making koni reds is because they made the yellows. im pretty sure as you showed by your ignorance already that you probably dont know the different between the two. plain and simple the yellows were produced because they are simply better. the externally adjustable where you do not have to remove them from the car where as the koni reds you had to remove the whole strut, compress the strut and turn it to adjust it. thus causing alot of time to adjust plus having to pay for an alignment everything you remove them. please crawl back under the rock you been living in and stay there. kthanxdrivethrubye

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:41 AM
the reds were the 1st strut available for the J's that werent just factory replacements. like evryone lese said, they improved their product wiht the yellows. Its not like they came out with both at the same time and you had a choice.
Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:39 AM
whiteboyz24 wrote:Its not like they came out with both at the same time and you had a choice.

Good to know. When I came into this forum, both were available from various retailers and I didn't realize they weren't produced side-by-side. I guess it makes sense -- looking at Koni's application charts, they still offer "classic" (red) shocks/struts for several older cars, the "sport" yellows for newer models and compacts, but seemingly never both at the same time. Makes me wonder why they even bothered starting with the reds on the J-Bodies in the first place.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:01 PM
I'm glad Josh G got burnt, I got pretty worked up reading his ridiculous reply post and was about to go ape@!#$.

CahillJ for the win yet again. When it comes to suspension forum thou art the king.

Koni Reds are still used by more than a few folks here, and I've never once heard them talked down by people who actually have credibility.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:03 AM
James Cahill wrote:
Why don't they? Case in point- YOU had a bed setup on YOUR car. YOU picked the wrong spring rates. YOU didn't tune the dampers properly. YOU screwed up. Not Koni, or any other manufacturer for that matter. YOU need to take responsibility for YOUR actions.

Have a nice day.

I'm so glad you posted all that. Just saved me a whole lot of typing.

I'll reiterate one part... coilovers are NOT meant for driving around slammed.

If you're slammed on coilovers, then you've eliminated pretty much all your suspension travel. You might as well not having springs at all and just replace them with steel cylinders to hold up the car.

That's no way to ride, and not what they're meant for. If you don't understand why this is bad, then you shouldn't have anything giving you an adjustable ride height. Stick with something nice and standard like AGX's and Prokits or some such thing and be done with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:03 AM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search