Who else has busted a spring???? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Who else has busted a spring????
Friday, March 14, 2008 6:45 AM
Well im bored here at work and i thought i'll ask a simple question. Who else has broken a spring? Stock or aftermarket? My 03' just busted a factory spring (D/F), so im back to driving the 96'. Hopefully next week my new suspension will arrive and i can get it installed by the weekend.

BTW my 03' only has 56,3XX on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 14, 2008 6:52 AM

Re: Who else has busted a spring????
Friday, March 14, 2008 8:14 AM
wow. Had 200k on my stock suspension and drove the piss out of it....springs still looked perfect

Friday, March 14, 2008 8:28 AM
the same thing happen to my bosses bmw. it only has like around 30k i believe.

Friday, March 14, 2008 8:38 AM
how did you bust a spring?!

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Friday, March 14, 2008 9:28 AM
JoeyDaBomb wrote:how did you bust a spring?!

Well i live in PA and our roads are @!#$. Also the weather we had for the past few weeks killed our roads, potholes everywhere. Im guessing that one of the many potholes i hit while i was trying to avoid the other potholes did it.

Its time for an upgrade anyway.

Friday, March 14, 2008 10:07 AM
My thought is that since the spring is limited by strut travel, and nothing should deal it direct damage short of a kid with a hack saw, it really shouldn't be stressed enough to fail. With that in mind, there are only two reasons for one to break at 55k. 1) Manufacturing defect, or 2) an unprecedented amount of abuse.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Friday, March 14, 2008 10:57 AM
Springs are actually hard to break. The only reason I can really see is that you had a manufacturing defect (probably inside the metal of the spring itself) and it created a weak spot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Friday, March 14, 2008 11:08 AM
When i get home i'll try to get the broken piece out and look at the break to see how it failed. I never purposely hit potholes and i have never jumped the car. The only abuse it has seen is the unavoidable abuse of $hitty PA roads.

Friday, March 14, 2008 1:58 PM
Its pretty common for VW's to break the bottom coil off the rear springs. Never seen it on a cav though

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:15 PM
Well i just tried to get the broken piece off and its a no-go. Im just gonna have to wait to next week when i install my new suspension.

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:00 AM
It is not common (although I have seen them) for the j-bodies, but there are plenty of cars that have major spring issues...such as Ford Taurus and Focus. BMW 3-series, VW, and a handful of others. I actually think it is the winter road treatment in PA that can get under the finish of the spring and rot it from the inside....more than the potholes.

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:30 AM
I've seen this too. My friend went and bought a 03 4dr cav and when he brought her over my place for me to look at I thought something was weird. The car sat lower it the front and i looked in the wheel well I noticed the bottom of the spring was broke, nice clean straight cut on the last coil. Went over to the drivers side and that one was busted on the last coil also. So we jacked her up and pulled the broken coil's out from each side with no problems, must of been broke for awhile cause it was rusted where the separation was. took it to the dealer and they put two new ones in.

Proud member since 99
Monday, March 17, 2008 12:35 PM
my ex-girlfriends ford fucus had both front springs break......POS
before that i had never seen anyone actually break a spring
Monday, March 17, 2008 1:32 PM
I used to see it on a lot of cars in Michigan, but havent seen it once in North Carolina

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search