$500 for Sportline kit + Installation.. Good? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
$500 for Sportline kit + Installation.. Good?
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 12:33 PM
So i was quoted $499+tax for an eibach sportline kit, plus the installation, and full alignment.
i need it, as i have new motegi 17's installed and im not happy with the height now..

Is this good?? it totals to $549.00 after is all said and done.. I would do it myself, but this 60hr a week work schedule, and a 6month old have me time-pressed

thanks for any input

Re: $500 for Sportline kit + Installation.. Good?
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 1:09 PM
That is not a good deal because for that price there is no way in hell you are getting the prper struts for that low of a drop. You need either Koni yellows or Tokico D specs for the eibach sportlines. The instalation is fairly easy and straight forward so I would not hesitate to do it yourself. Plus I bet anything they will try and upsell you front and rear mounts.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 1:12 PM
it doesnt sound too bad. the springs are somewhere around 220 arent they? plus 80 for alignment....youre at 200 for labor....which is about 2-1/2 hrs.
the thing i would be questioning is what struts do you have? do you plan on putting these on factory struts? if so, youre throwing away that money youre spending on labor and alignment since youll ned to do it in a few months when those struts blow out. besides that , the ride will just suck with the factories...period.
since youre working all that overtime...save up and buy struts and shocks to go along with the springs
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 1:23 PM
Trust me you do want to lower on stock struts. I bought a car that was lowered on sportlines with stock struts. I hated it. Damn thing hopped more than the easter bunny. It actually made me nervous to take corners faster.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 1:42 PM
asked @ the dealership where I got it, curiosity got the best of me, anyways, quoted me $400 alone, for labor

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 1:49 PM
where I got my car btw**

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:08 PM
hmm, cause its a performance shop here in cincinati that quoted me that, and yes, i wasnt thinking, but it would be on stock struts

are there any springs that would be safe w/ stock struts?
if not, can someone give me a good quote, or a link for a good priced setup for front/ rear struts and springs??

thanks

its just that theres like 5 inches between the wheel and the well
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:22 PM
whiteboyz24 wrote:youre at 200 for labor....which is about 2-1/2 hrs.

i hope thats not you doing it... i can have all 4 of mine done, swapped and car back on the ground in an hour...

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:25 PM
Synthet1k X wrote:are there any springs that would be safe w/ stock struts?

Yup. Stock springs.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:25 PM
First thing you should do is see what your budget is letting you spend. Then look for springs and shocks that fit your budget. It can get very expensive. The main thing is to do it the right way the first time, if not, it could cause a major crash. The stock struts will only last a few days to a few weeks at most with any lowering spring, no matter how little the drop. The ride is harsh, bouncy, and can cause the car to whip around, or hop around on the road. A good setup will keep your car tight in the cornors, planted to the ground, and shouldn't be too bad of a ride. Its not going to be as comfortable as the factory setup no matter what you get. For anything less then 1.5 inches, the kyb agx's are what you want to get. Even for the tein s tech springs people say they are great, which drops 1.7 front and 1.5 rear (that what im going with). The agx's can be found on ebay for 350 + shipping. None of the good struts will be cheap. The kyb gr2's are supposed to be able to handle a little drop, but are not adjustible, and should be used as stock replacments. Some people like them, but for an extra few dollars, you can get the agx's. If you are going lower, the koni yellows, or d-specs are what you WILL need. They are much more money. Main thing to remember when paying all this money is the safety you are getting opposed to the cheap knock-offs, or using factory struts. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, coil-overs may be a great choice, as they will let you choose how low you want to go. These are all about one thousand dollars, or more.
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:29 PM
Being no one else has said it yet, this should've been posted in the Suspension & Brake forum. Just letting you know for future reference.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 8:17 PM
Khanduras wrote:Being no one else has said it yet, this should've been posted in the Suspension & Brake forum. Just letting you know for future reference.

I was going to mention that when I first posted but I figured it would be moved before I finished the post. Aparently it was not.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:03 PM
just buy the springs and have a buddy that knows a little about cars come over and help you

experience does help though as im with vince, i can swap out springs in about an hour, its really not too difficult

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 10:26 PM
Synthet1k X wrote:hmm, cause its a performance shop here in cincinati

What shop?

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 10:52 PM
The labour on this is very simple

Im sure you can find someone to help

Thursday, March 06, 2008 5:11 AM
Vincent Morris wrote:
whiteboyz24 wrote:youre at 200 for labor....which is about 2-1/2 hrs.

i hope thats not you doing it... i can have all 4 of mine done, swapped and car back on the ground in an hour...

ill put money on that. you show me a video that proves that. what a joke
Thursday, March 06, 2008 5:18 AM
indibluemini3 (aka navycav3) wrote:just buy the springs and have a buddy that knows a little about cars come over and help you

experience does help though as im with vince, i can swap out springs in about an hour, its really not too difficult

if said buddy knows anything about lowering suspension....he will NOT help you put those springs on stock shocks.
yes it can be donr with you and your buddy and its not very hard. just dont listen to anyone telling you its ok.

i think the most liked and used combo is either koni yellows or tokico d-specs......im not familiar witht the warranty on the d-specs with a super drop like the sportlines. koni definately hads a lifetime warranty. if youre looking the less expensive route...you can use kyb but you have to get the eibach pro kit since kyb will not warranty on sportlines
Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:33 AM
i would PAY to see you guys swap the entire suspension, struts/springs AND swap the springs that are saying you can do it in an hour and be safe/organized doing it. im sorry, but your dreaming.

8-10 minutes to get car jacked up, stands in the right places and wheels/tires off. (unless you have a lift then i could see 5 mins.)

15 minutes to get the rear's off.

10-15 to swap the rear springs.

15 to put rear's back on.

15-20 to get the front's off.

10-15 to swap the front springs.

15-20 to put the front's back on.

and this is being modest, assuming all the bolt's come right out without issue and your an expert at doing j-body suspension using air tools. also assuming you do not have any after market brace's or a rear sway bar/tie bar that would be in the way.

so, adding up the tally from the very LOWEST times estimated, your looking at: 1hr 28 minutes.

now, if your really going at it and have no regard for safety and no respect for tools and parts, and rushing like a nascar team member i could see an hour. but im telling your right now, i would STILL pay to see it done.

Wanting a nice set of black 17's with mint tires? Pm me.
Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:26 AM
LazyEcotec wrote:
Synthet1k X wrote:hmm, cause its a performance shop here in cincinati

What shop?

its TD performance in forest park, they only had the sportline in stock, less i would have actually gone w/ the pro kit
and he was all about throwing them on the stock struts

and link, or estimate on how much the kyb setup would be for front & rear??? i know what the pro kit costs.

i have done just about every other kind of mechanical work to my car, and suspension is the about the only thing i have never touched on, else i would be doing it all myself

sorry for being in the wrong forum
Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:44 AM
well, i found the gr-2 on weaponspeed for $260, is this the full setup??

Chevrolet 99-04 Cavalier (Z24) KYB GR-2 Shocks/Struts Set
http://www.weaponspeed.com/Chevrolet-99-04-Cavalier-Z24-KYB-GR-2-Shocks-Struts-Set-p-21676.html

and also, does it HAVE to be a z24?? i didnt think it would but they specifically have z24 in the title. i have a 2200
Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:49 AM
There is no way it can be done in an hour by just one person. Air tools and experience help make it quicker but the most time consuming part for me was the spring compressor loan a tool from the autopart store. You compress one side a little and then the other and back and fourth both so you can take the old springs off and put the new ones on. The whole time you are wrestling around on the floor with it attached to the spring. That is the time consuming part. most shops have a wall mount air pwored spring compressor which makes it alot quicker. The bottom bolt for the rear shock will be a PITA to remove the first time if you do not have an impact. I had a rear strut tower brace so I had to remove it before I could even start on the rear. One hour is just not possible with
one person.

Synthet1k X
I would reccomend the prokit. It is what I am using with the KYB agx's. The ride is great and it is not so low that you have to constantly worry about how low your car sits. Also the springs are the same price the only difference is the KYB AGX's are about 150 bucks cheaper than the Koni or Tokico's you need for the sportlines.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:06 PM
what special tools do i need for the strut/ shock & spring replacement, aside from a spring compressor??
ill do the gr-2 w/ eibach pro kit

cause im just gonna do the damn thing myself
Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:15 PM
honestly if you have never used a spring compressor nor know anything about them or using them its my opinion that you should leave it up to a professional to worry about. now, if you have a buddy or some body you know that has had experience using them it would be fine.

the problem is they are pretty dangerous to use, especially if you have never used any before. if you do it wrong the spring will let you know about it and it quite possibly could rip your head off, seriously.

i said screw it and took mine into a local suspension shop, they charged $40 to dis-assemble all 4 struts/springs. i did not need to compress my sportlines when i went to put them on the struts as they are shorter, but it was tight... you'll probably need to use a compressor to get the pro-kit to fit... and again, i recommend having professionals do it.

Wanting a nice set of black 17's with mint tires? Pm me.
Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:35 PM
it takes a first time to learn, correct?/
and im very good with everything i do, i know operating the spring compressor/ taking the springs off would be no problem for me

i just work... a LOT

and unfortunately, i would never find someone in cincinnati who would do for me, what they did for you for $40, mechanice RAPE around here
Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:36 PM
Synthet1k X wrote:ill do the gr-2 w/ eibach pro kit

Did you even read the replies? Pick one...

KYB AGX/ Eibach Pro Kit

OR

Tokico D-Specs or Koni Yellows/ Eibach Sportline

If you're wanting to cheap out, just throw the pro kit on with stock struts, that way you don't blow brand new GR2's and complain about the $200 you wasted.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search